Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Used CTS-V in Chicago, I'm in Texas. Opinions on traveling car inspections?

3K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  tinman 
#1 ·
Evening everyone, new member here and extremely close to being a new owner.

The car I've negotiated on is a 2011 V2 Sedan with 23k miles. Price with fees (not including Texas tax and shipping) is 38,500. Any opinions on that deal? Car is completely optioned with Recaros, dual view sun roof, wood grain (eh)

Car seems to be in excellent condition with 5 months left on the bumper to bumper warranty and another 1.5 years on drive train.

Can anyone in Chicago recommend a shop that would be willing to take the car for a complete shake down regarding any repairs or unseen damage that i obviously cant see? I've already pulled service records from Cadillac and Car Fax doesn't show any major issues.

ASE certified is a must, and the biggest want i have in a service is an under body inspection. Everything i have found so far only does a visual inspection, test drive and diagnostics.

Would really appreciate some advice or help. Thanks!

#10 ·
Great price and low miles! I wouldn't let that one go as long as it's in pretty decent shape. 2011 and up Cadillacs have premium care maintenance, so let's hope that all maintenance was done by Cadillac and all issues were taken care of by the dealer before the car gets into your hands. I would highly recommend getting the GMPP warranty while it's still under the factory warranty. That's the only way you can get the extended warranty. The car has to be under the factory bumper to bumper when you purchase the GMPP warranty.

#12 ·
I most likely will be in a similar situation in the future as I'm looking to buy a CTS-V (gen 2) and will most likely have to travel somewhere out of state (Cold Minnesota) to find one I want. Just out of curiosity, was the dealer willing to negotiate price with you over the phone? Did they commit to holding it for you prior to flying there in case someone else was interested in it?

#13 ·
Yes, in fact i did everything via email. All questions were answered, anything that i thought might require pictures, he sent, and was even willing to take it to get inspected at a place of my choice. PPI is on Monday and they were completely willing to hang on while all the appointments were made. If the PPI works out, ( i found one that will put it on a lift ) then ill quickly move over payment and have it shipped while I'm off skiing. Easy peasy...With that being said, any push back from the dealer on any of these requests and i would have terminated talks instantly.

#14 ·
So if you never see the car till it gets delivered, how are you going to know if the shipper or anyone else caused any scratches/dings/damage? "Billy-Bob told me it was clean" will not cut it for the small stuff. Might be OK if it arrives totaled, but shipping is more likely to cause the small stuff.

You know your schedule and what you can tolerate; but this plan would never work for me.

#15 ·
6104696 said:
So if you never see the car till it gets delivered, how are you going to know if the shipper or anyone else caused any scratches/dings/damage? "Billy-Bob told me it was clean" will not cut it for the small stuff. Might be OK if it arrives totaled, but shipping is more likely to cause the small stuff. You know your schedule and what you can tolerate; but this plan would never work for me.
I would venture to say the chances of that occurring are low but I would much rather drive it home than have it delivered.

#17 ·
Out family shipped a 66 Toronado from LA to Copenhagen. When my uncle received it THE WHOLE side was scraped like it scraped a metal side guard. Truck driver said it was the over seas shippers, shippers said the truck driver did it. No one ended up paying for it and we had to sell the car for basically 1/7 what the car was worth

#21 ·
For me the only way I would buy something long distance is to go and personally inspect it and personally drive it home, winter or not. As thebigjimshow said, "It's a story for the grandkids!" I bought mine in Ann Arbor in Sept and did just that. That drive was a blast!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.