New (soon to be) Black Diamond Tricoat Coupe Owner (Concerned)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, New (soon to be) Black Diamond Tricoat Coupe Owner (Concerned) in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Picking up a 2011 Cadillac CTS-V BDT Coupe with 30556 miles Tuesday, and I have some concerns over the recalls(Supercharger&Ignition) ...
    Black Diamond is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe Black Diamond Tricoat

Exclamation New (soon to be) Black Diamond Tricoat Coupe Owner (Concerned)

Picking up a 2011 Cadillac CTS-V BDT Coupe with 30556 miles Tuesday, and I have some concerns over the recalls(Supercharger&Ignition) Is there anyway to be sure it doesn't have the rattle or DOES? It's still under warranty, but I'm under the impression that you won't have the SC replaced unless you hear a rattle prior to 100k miles, am I correct?
    I'm coming over from a 2014 Camaro ZL1, had to kick it to the curb due to an outrageous insurance rate of $14,000 a year! So I jumped straight into this 2011 CTS-V Coupe, and man it's never felt right. I plan on adding a new C.A.I, I'm going with AirRaid, but suggestions are very much welcomed. I think I'm going with the Borla Catback Race/Touring headers. I like the aggressive sound.

Here's the car http://www.metrolinaautogroup.com/20..._229498166.veh

I'll have more photos to come once Tuesday rolls around. Can anyone give me some pointers as a new CTS-V Owner? Links to threads you recommend(I've read all the Stickys. )

I'm located in Denver, N.C and would appreciate local tuner recommendations.

My name is Dean for those who want to know me on a first name basis, I got really close with the C5 Community, and what I've heard about CF is that you guys are a nice community of people who love to give their input, which is what C5 lacked for me. Hope to see you guys around! Thanks in advance for all the tips and advice!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

vfaninva is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    First, welcome aboard! These cars are truly awesome design wise and performance. I consider them to be the total package.
    There have been numerous complaints about sc rattle but I've never heard of any significant issue other than the annoying sound. I have a little over 10k miles on my '13 coupe with no rattle, knock on wood. If you were to get the dreaded rattle, it would most likely come before the 100k mile cutoff and would be replaced, so I would worry about it.
    The ignition issue is not related to the V's.
    Most of us have gone with Airaid CAI's and have been very happy with the HP gains and improved sc whine.
    Lots of friendly folks here always ready to share knowledge and a few laughs.
    Again, welcome aboard.

Kools is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Re: New (soon to be) Black Diamond Tricoat Coupe Owner (Concerned)

The only way to know if the SC has the rattle, is to listen for the rattle. But like ya said, it's covered until 100k or 7yrs, so you should be ok.
    Most of us have Airaid, I do, and it's awesome. Install is a bit of a pain the first time, but it comes out looking stock, really nice.

Dang that ZL1 insurance is bonkers!
    Welcome Dean!

Thanks for the fast reply! What's your opinion on ordering from CaRid? I want to get the CF AirRaid, but I couldn't find it anywhere else, I plan on doing a carbon dash kit from them as well. I remember on C5 there was a lot of Aftermarket sites I was cautioned of, and I don't remember hearing about this particular site.

Thanks again! I was just attracted instantly to the Coupe, the whole design is just out of this world to most people. I absolutely love it. So is the S/C going to eventually rattle, or do some never experience the issue? Is 30,000 miles a good buy? It was so hard to track down a car remotely local with the options I wanted(Mainly the RECAROS) I have them at $48000 out the door. I know the Black Diamond Tricoats typically go for more, most of the ones I saw were upwards of 50k, 52k or so OTD. So I'm confident it's a good buy, but feedback is important to me.

Kools is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

I got mine from Lingenfelter's site. good experience there. Don't know about CF dash kits though

The SC may never rattle, but when it does, you will definitely know it. So I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    2011 with 30k is a solid 10k per year average miles(if it was originally purchased in '10), so that's pretty good mileage wise in my book.
    I'm not sure about the price. Seems good, but others can chime in on that.

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Welcome. Nice color choice.

So far I have nearly 16K on my '12 BDT Coupe, no rattle.
    I'll have to check but i was on the Cadillac Owners website and I thought it said that my SC rattle was up t 120K miles.

Doesn't probably matter as I'm sure I'll hit the years before the miles.

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    Welcome. Nice color choice.

So far I have nearly 16K on my '12 BDT Coupe, no rattle.
    I'll have to check but i was on the Cadillac Owners website and I thought it said that my SC rattle was up t 120K miles.

Doesn't probably matter as I'm sure I'll hit the years before the miles.
    I feel a lot more comfortable with the car now, I'm wayyy too excited for Tuesday!

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond
    I feel a lot more comfortable with the car now, I'm wayyy too excited for Tuesday!
    It's truly a special car. It was never my intention, but I've never driven a car that elicits so much attention.

I found that WeaponX has the mods I was going to get on CaRid, I'll use them instead! Appreciate all the replies!

Do you guys have events such has CamaroFest?

Teamsorad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I just bought a higher mileage 2011 sedan and when I went in to get the final paperwork done I had service look at it. Before I could even check on it and ask they said yep you are getting a new supercharger. No questions asked, mine just had a small rattle nothing like the videos I have watched.

Going to pick it up tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Teamsorad View Post
    I just bought a higher mileage 2011 sedan and when I went in to get the final paperwork done I had service look at it. Before I could even check on it and ask they said yep you are getting a new supercharger. No questions asked, mine just had a small rattle nothing like the videos I have watched.

Going to pick it up tomorrow
    I just message Customer Service on here about possibly having it looked at before I purchase it, I'm buying from a non Cadillac Dealer, they deal in like Lambos, Maserati, etc. They use EuroWise Servicing.

I'm going to go watch some of those videos. Appreciate it!

flatrockguy is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Raven V Sedan, M6, Graphite Rims, Yellow Brembos

I ran the VIN and the supercharger was already replaced once at 17,129 miles. It also had the steering gear replaced recently at 30,367 miles. Other than those two items everything else was just was oil changes and wheel face cleanings. Oh and welcome to the V club!
    Black Diamond likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by flatrockguy View Post
    I ran the VIN and the supercharger was already replaced once at 17,129 miles. It also had the steering gear replaced recently at 30,367 miles. Other than those two items everything else was just was oil changes and wheel face cleanings. Oh and welcome to the V club!
    Wow! Thank you so much man. I looked at the Carfax and must have missed that or they didn't log it for whatever reason. But I'm so relieved to hear that. Question about the replacement,
    is it just a new S/C replacement that is liable to the same rattle, or does the replacement fix the bearing? Thank you!

flatrockguy is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Raven V Sedan, M6, Graphite Rims, Yellow Brembos

Ya, carfax won't show dealer warranty work. The new supercharger could have the same issue down the road but with the new 10 year warranty on the supercharger you shoiuld be good.

CavemanB52 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post

Wow! Thank you so much man. I looked at the Carfax and must have missed that or they didn't log it for whatever reason. But I'm so relieved to hear that. Question about the replacement,
    is it just a new S/C replacement that is liable to the same rattle, or does the replacement fix the bearing? Thank you!
    Another thing to realize about the SC rattle is that its an isolator issue. Several of us have changed from the stock spring isolator to a solid isolator. I dont know the statistics yet but the one with the spring isolator are the superchargers that are making the noise. There is a rumor that the replacements have solid isolators in them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.