Considering moving from C6 Z06 to CTS-V coupe for practicality reasons, questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Considering moving from C6 Z06 to CTS-V coupe for practicality reasons, questions in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Hi! I own a C6 Z06, and need to switch to a car that is automatic transmission and has back ...
    Adam Radiologist is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Considering moving from C6 Z06 to CTS-V coupe for practicality reasons, questions

Hi!

I own a C6 Z06, and need to switch to a car that is automatic transmission and has back seats (because of wife, and kids, respectively), while still being a torque monster and being reliable over time.

Question 1: what are the known, major problems afflicting the 09+ CTS-V coupe that I should know about if I plan on owning this car for many years? Minor problems?

Background/details - those who are "in the know" about C6 corvettes may be familiar with the so-called premature-valve-guide-wear-issue that afflicts the LS7 engine that is in C6 Z06s. This results in catastrophic engine failure in a not-so-small number of cars, some of which are not tracked or modified but rather pampered and with low miles. A replacement engine is >$15K, and so owning these cars out of warranty, even with the recommended preventative "fix," can result in significant anxiety. This is what currently prompts my consideration of a new car, i.e. my car is in currently the shop due to serious engine problems. I want to know from you: Can the CTS-V Coupe be driven hard, high miles, without known major problems that will arise?

Question 2: Is this the right car for me? I don't want to modify a car and tamper with stock reliability, so I'm on a quest to find an used automatic transmission car with back seats that has as fast acceleration as possible and can be purchased used for under $60K and is reliable. GTR fits the bill except for cost. ZL1 fits the bill and is considered, but is about as a fast as grand sport corvette (wait a minute... is ZL1 faster than CTS-V?) Used M3 is fast but not quite fast enough. Same of Mustang GT, also quite not fast enough but at least is a better performance value than M3. Am I missing anything?

THANKS.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Re: Considering moving from C6 Z06 to CTS-V coupe for practicality reasons, question

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Re: Considering moving from C6 Z06 to CTS-V coupe for practicality reasons, question

If you want a 4-door sedan that goes, there is nothing else in the price range.

CavemanB52 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV coupe
    If you're looking for a coupe it will have to be 2011 or newer. A stock V is considerably faster than a grand sport. With a cold air intake and a tune it is comparable to a Z06. Small modifications will keep up with a ZR1 corvette. Its all in what you want to do. My 2012 coupe is modified and will walk a ZR1. For the most part all versions of the car are very reliable. The big issues you will find through research on this forum are rear diff wine and marbles in the supercharger. Rear diff is bullet proof but only if broken in properly. Marbles can be solved with a solid isolator.

Mr. Hyde is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Coupe

I did this same move and (went from C6Z) to V coupe. However, all of my kids are grown and on their own now, so the back seat gets little, if any use.
    Although I love my coupe for the obvious performance, being a big fan of torque myself, it was a concern going from the mighty LS7 to the 6.2, I was NOT disappointed.
    That being said, I would strongly suggest that you look closely at a sedan, if you anticipate needing the backseat on a regular basis.

There is ample room back there with the coupe, but getting kids in and out all the time would be a royal PITA.

The "problems" affecting these cars is no where near the concerns that each of us had as LS7 owners....trust me on this. My own Z06 was never affected by the dropped valve syndrome.

Additionally, it is really nice to have a QUIET (read a car with insulation) car that is not overpowered with tire noise!

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Back seats in all 3 models work fine. Coupe is a bit harder to get into.

No huge issues: rocking recaro, wheel clicking, supercharger noise, supercharger bearings, some rear diff noise, loose interior carpet.

Check for warranty blocks.

Note that GM extended the supercharger warranty for another 4-5 years and 100,000 miles recently.

From a power standpoint, you won't miss much, but its not a Z06 for obvious reasons.

For $3000 and some change, you could pull on a stock Z06 fairly easy.

Don't get recaro seats if you have weak abs.

Don't buy a Vsport.

Yes. The coupe back seats a great once you get back there. But getting back there can be a pain in the ass for larger folks. Small kids get back there fine on there own.

B T Williams is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan

I owned and raced Corvettes for 38 years and made the switch to my CTS-V sedan in 2011.

I have had only one problem with my 2011 CTS-V (ECM failure) in three and a half years and 9,000 miles of ownership.

While I will always have a fondness for Corvettes, I don't regret making the move from a Corvette to a CTS-V. A CTS-V offers a combination of practicality, luxury and performance that is hard to beat.

Regarding performance, while a stock CTS-V falls short of a stock Z06 in quarter mile MPH, a stock CTS-V is competitive ET wise in the quarter mile with a stock Z06. My stock A6 CTS-V on street tires has turned a best of 11.720 and 120.78 MPH in the quarter mile.

garfin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;

For me, the big difference is when you get behind the wheel of a Z06, you have no choice but to be completely involved in your driving experience. The Z06 commands total involvement and attention (for me)... no exception.
    The V, being a little "softer around the edges" allows me the option to take a step back and not be as totally engrossed in the driving experience (if I so desire). I can relax a little. I feel there is an advantage to this as the V is my daily driver 365 days/year. Driving a manual V, I would then guess that an automatic V would be even a bit easier to drive without being so completely involved in the experience.

Best regards,

Elie

Adam Radiologist is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Sounds like the right car for me. Sounds like a lot of you came from sports cars and are comfortable with the idea of sedan. I need to wrap my head around the image, 4 doors just seem so... domesticated. It's in my head.

Question:

What are warranty blocks?

Why not a Vsport?

What's the alternative to Recaros?

In regards to "For $3000 and some change, you could pull on a stock Z06 fairly easy," what would be the specific mods you'd get for the $3000 ?

Thanks!

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Radiologist
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. Sounds like the right car for me. Sounds like a lot of you came from sports cars and are comfortable with the idea of sedan. I need to wrap my head around the image, 4 doors just seem so... domesticated. It's in my head. Question: What are warranty blocks? Why not a Vsport? What's the alternative to Recaros? In regards to "For $3000 and some change, you could pull on a stock Z06 fairly easy," what would be the specific mods you'd get for the $3000 ? Thanks!
    Warranty blocks are usually on cars Cadillac/GM puts on press cars or cars used in performance driving schools.

As for the Recaros, while I have recently lost nearly 30 lbs, I am still north of 210 lbs (6 ft) and I hardly claim to have strong ABS. The seats are no issue. They are great and I wouldn't buy a V without them. That's my opinion.

As for the V Sport, while mechanically it's an impressive vehicle, it's still not as extreme as the V. Also, again my opinion, I personally think Cadillac blew it with the new body design. It's too plain. Performance-wise, it's not too far away from the V though.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Radiologist View Post
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. Sounds like the right car for me. Sounds like a lot of you came from sports cars and are comfortable with the idea of sedan. I need to wrap my head around the image, 4 doors just seem so... domesticated. It's in my head.

Question:

What are warranty blocks?

Why not a Vsport?

What's the alternative to Recaros?

In regards to "For $3000 and some change, you could pull on a stock Z06 fairly easy," what would be the specific mods you'd get for the $3000 ?

Thanks!
    An upper pully, tune, catch can, solid isolator, NGK plugs, headers to stock exhaust, a cold air intake, and a larger intercooler will set about $3000 or less. Thats parts only though. But you dont need all of that to walk a C6 Z06.

shockwaveMGH is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Coupe, 2007 Z06

I presently have both a 2012 CTS-V Coupe and a 2007 Z06. Although the CTS-V is quick, there is no comparison in the performance with the Z as expected a lot quicker. However I consider my "V" as a four seat Vette and it is very comfortable and a lot of fun to drive. My "V" is a 6 spd manual and with the transmission being right behind the engine, I find the shifting to be a bit easier and smoother then the rear trans on my "Z". I also have the Ricardo seats and find them very comfortable. You will notice a reduction in gas mileage with the "V". On long trips I have gotten 25-26 MPG with the "Z" and the best I ever got with the "V" has been about 18-19 MPG.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwaveMGH
    I also have the Ricardo seats...
    Ricky would be proud.
    tdyguy2k and garfin like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwaveMGH View Post
    I presently have both a 2012 CTS-V Coupe and a 2007 Z06. Although the CTS-V is quick, there is no comparison in the performance with the Z as expected a lot quicker. However I consider my "V" as a four seat Vette and it is very comfortable and a lot of fun to drive. My "V" is a 6 spd manual and with the transmission being right behind the engine, I find the shifting to be a bit easier and smoother then the rear trans on my "Z". I also have the Ricardo seats and find them very comfortable. You will notice a reduction in gas mileage with the "V". On long trips I have gotten 25-26 MPG with the "Z" and the best I ever got with the "V" has been about 18-19 MPG.
    Yes. Ricky would agree. Stock for stock the Z is quicker. But like I implied with very little $ in mods a Z06 will have Lucy screeming Z corvette is a bit slow along side a V. Take it from me. Ive humbled quite a few Z06s and the occasional ZR1... But the bad ass Z is harder to find than its impressive little brother.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.