Time for Rotors and Pads....suggestions please!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Time for Rotors and Pads....suggestions please! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; What pads y'all using as replacements? Thanks...
    jonvontg1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 cts-v

2009 CTS-V Turned 80K Today! Need New Brake Pad Soon.

What pads y'all using as replacements? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Re: 2009 CTS-V Turned 80K Today! Need New Brake Pad Soon.

Congrats! Mine just turned 44K, and I have no plans on getting rid of it soon either. Get some Autozone ceramics and they'll be a LOT cleaner and stop just as good, unless you drive heard on a road course.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

When I had my 2009 V, I replaced with stock pads at the same time I replaced rotors around 40k miles. I'm so used to cleaning the wheels now after five years in two 2G Vs that the dust doesn't even faze me anymore.

If you buy stock pads, buy them from Luke at Lindsey (that's where I bought mine from), or Rippy, they offer excellent prices and support the forum.

Good to see an OG 2009 V owner posting. Even though I moved on to a '13, I still think 2009 was the best year for this car. I wish I'd purchased a 6MT that year instead of a 6AT......
    CVP33 likes this.

r1concepts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

A lot of cts-v users on another forums use Hawk Ceramics on their v's.

RapidRob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual

^^^ - I've heard conflicting accounts about Hawk ceramics. Some say they are OK, but others say, while there is less dust, they are noisy and don't seem to brake as well as oem pads. I've heard better comments about the Wagner Perfect Stop semi-metallic pads, (PS1405), which I'm considering when it's time to replace mine.

captain slow is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts-v

Brake pads

The dealer wants $450 for front brake pads. Anybody know where I can get some for a deal? And what are the pros and cons of Brembo vs other pads.

embassured is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Brake pads

In about 10,000 miles I'll be in the same boat as you. Replacements will be ceramic pad from a brand not yet decided. I had Akebono ceramics on my V1 and they worked like a charm. Loved them - low dust - low noise - acceptable performance.

Now here are the qualifiers...I don't track and I rarely push my brakes (repeatedly) into anything more than 8/10ths of what the Brembos are capable of producing. For whatever brand I choose the price will undoubtedly be somewhere between $80-$120 for the set and I'll spend $100 on the install because I'm now too lazy to do it myself.

If you're tracking the car, you need a much more serious pad - along the lines of OEM Brembos or a Hawk HP+. My primary concern is low noise, LOW dust, and, of course, decent braking power. The Brembos are an aggressive pad and hence the high level of dust produced. The other side effect is that they will also wear the rotors quicker. That said, they're fitted on the car because it has 556hp.

The ceramics I'm considering will only match (maybe) 85% to 90% of the Brembos capabilities and then they will begin to fade more rapidly if pushed repeatedly. That said, my rims will at least look good for longer than 2 days after a wash.

Good luck,
    Eric

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Re: Brake pads

Autozone for ceramics, or E-Bay for Wagner semi-metallic. Either way, they'll be a LOT cleaner!!!!!!!!

brianburns is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V, 2004 996 Twin Turbo Cab, 2000 BMW M Roadster

Time for Rotors and Pads....suggestions please!

I was one of the lucky ones that received the new 2 piece front rotors with the infamous wheel click problems a while ago. My current pads are getting close to the wear bars, so I'm looking to replace the rotors at the same time. A few questions to consider:
    • Can you just buy the OEM rotor (without the hat)? Where? How much?
    • Go with OEM pads or aftermarket? Which ones? Where? How Much?
    • Aftermarket rotors? Drilled? Slotted? Brand? Where? How Much?
    I'm a "spirited" street driver who drives about 100 miles a day back and forth to work. I don't track the car, but sometimes drive it like I do. Would love to reduce the brake dust from OEM, but not the end of the world as I wash my car every week usually anyways. Thanks for your suggestions!
    -Brian

brianburns is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V, 2004 996 Twin Turbo Cab, 2000 BMW M Roadster

Re: Time for Rotors and Pads....suggestions please!

I'm not assuming anything fellas. They are below spec and can't be turned. Left one is the worst with some grooving starting to appear. Trust me, I would love to swap the pad and turn the rotors...not an option at this point.

DCV
    DCV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV bone stock

Get Carbotech pads and OEM rotors. XP-8 works great on a heavy car like the V. But if you want less dust you get less stopping power. Thats just how it it.

Rule12b is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Sedan

For the street and track, I used Porterfield R4's and liked em a lot. . .If you want a better street compound, go for the R4S. I have the R4S's on my E63 and they are great. They can sqeek a bit unless you warm 'em up a little.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Seriously, send me your rotors. A little grooving appearing means practically nothing. No way you need new rotors.

greyhoss is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Brake Pad Replacement

I'm about to relpace the pads on my 2011 VCOUPE. Would like suggestions on brands that you guy's are using. Daily driving stopping performance, low brake dust and low noise are important.

cruiser68 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V A6 Sedan Modded :)
    Ebc red for daily driving. I prefer them to hawk ceramics and porter fields.

Pretty much oem braking with a fraction of the dust.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.