E85
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, E85 in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; This is more a question of curiosity as opposed to wanting to use the fuel. When I purchased my 3.6L ...
    gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

E85

This is more a question of curiosity as opposed to wanting to use the fuel. When I purchased my 3.6L coupe in 2012, Cadillac had performed updates to the engine which resulted in modest HP bump (318 from 304) along with it being E85 capable.

Is the LSA engine E85 capable?

The manual gives no indication and there is nothing on Cadillac's website.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Houdini is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MT, 2007 CTS-V (Sold)

Re: E85

A stock setup cannot run e85. You'd need a flex fuel sensor and a tune. To do it correctly you would upgrade the entire fuel system including pumps, lines, and injectors along with the flex fuel sensor. I love the setup on my car and can feel a large power difference between running a full tank of e85 vs 93. I don't have dyno numbers yet on my car but others do.

Quote Originally Posted by Houdini
    A stock setup cannot run e85. You'd need a flex fuel sensor and a tune. To do it correctly you would upgrade the entire fuel system including pumps, lines, and injectors along with the flex fuel sensor. I love the setup on my car and can feel a large power difference between running a full tank of e85 vs 93. I don't have dyno numbers yet on my car but others do.
    Thank you!

Kools is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Even with lines, injectors and pumps, the potential for corrosion in the motor itself is also a concern. I would stay away from it altogether. Just discussed this in another thread, I bet your warranty will be voided if they find evidence of E85 in your motor.
    Has anyone spoke with the V engineers or GM in general about running E85 in the V?
    Find ethanol free gasoline, its just about impossible to find anymore, but I would suggest staying away from E85 until the engineers at GM or Cadillac say its fine, or until SUFFICIENT evidence is put together showing that it won't corrode the crap out of your motor.

If you absolutely want to run it, I would suggest running 2 separate maps. One for E85, and one for gasoline. Use the E85 as maybe a weekend fuel. It'll take a while for the E85 to destroy your motor, gaskets and such, and using gasoline will help a little with recovery.
    Why don't you just try methanol?

No desire to run with it. I saw a thread in the second gen CTS forum about the LFX being updated to run E85 so I got to wondering about the LSA.

CTSV UT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V sedan, 2000 Eldorado ETC

It states in my 2012 manual not to use E85 in this vehicle, Page 9-52. It does state the warranty will be voided with the use of this fuel or any fuel with Methanol in it. Only E10 and E15 can be used on a 2012 LSA motor. E85 requires up to 50% more fuel to be delivered to the motor. I do not our fuel system can deliver that much without being modified or installing larger injectors. If you do desire to run E85 Kool's is right the entire fuel system will need to be replaced with on that can handle the corrosive effects of Ethanol/Methanol.

anxiouz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V sedan A6, Airaid, Borla

Kinda unrelated, but on one of my Evo 8's I had an E85 map. All it took was higher flowing injectors (in my case 1,000 cc), fuel pump, and a new tune.

There is an argument for corrision and what-not but I had no issues at around 90k miles, with about half of that mileage being E85 (the other being 91).

I don't know the direct comparison with the LSx but in theory I believe the same injector/fuel pump/tune theory would apply. Warranty be damned.

SPEED74V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

I changed injectors to ID850's and Flex fuel sensor with a tune. Runs great!! Also 2.55 upper & 8.6 lower pulley, ported intake, Kooks headers, no cats. With the craptastic 91 fuel around here it put down 550hp and with E85 it is at 630.

CTSV UT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V sedan, 2000 Eldorado ETC

SPEED74V,
    Is there a pin on the ECU that you can plug the sensor into to switch fuel maps? How did you install the Flex fuel sensor in your car?

V locity is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan A6, 730 RWHP Stock airbox & stock exst

Pin #5, if I recall correctly. DSTECK has a complete plug and play kit.

SPEED74V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by CTSV UT View Post
    SPEED74V,
    Is there a pin on the ECU that you can plug the sensor into to switch fuel maps? How did you install the Flex fuel sensor in your car?
    I had it installed and dyno tuned at Excessive Auto in Sioux Falls, SD. If you have any questions, I am sure that Joey could answer them for you. They tuned it at 91 Premium, a mix of 91 & E85, then full E85. So it will automatically change the tune no matter what fuel or mix that I have in it. It is a very good set up, as I don't have to switch between fuel maps.

stl_ls1gto is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V wagon M6, 2011 GMC Sierra CCSB 6.2L, 2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Kools View Post
    Even with lines, injectors and pumps, the potential for corrosion in the motor itself is also a concern. I would stay away from it altogether. Just discussed this in another thread, I bet your warranty will be voided if they find evidence of E85 in your motor.
    Has anyone spoke with the V engineers or GM in general about running E85 in the V?
    Find ethanol free gasoline, its just about impossible to find anymore, but I would suggest staying away from E85 until the engineers at GM or Cadillac say its fine, or until SUFFICIENT evidence is put together showing that it won't corrode the crap out of your motor.

If you absolutely want to run it, I would suggest running 2 separate maps. One for E85, and one for gasoline. Use the E85 as maybe a weekend fuel. It'll take a while for the E85 to destroy your motor, gaskets and such, and using gasoline will help a little with recovery.
    Why don't you just try methanol?
    Not that hard to find ethanol free gas, it is all over - mostly smaller independent gas stations, airports, and marinas.

www.pure-gas.org

Kools is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by stl_ls1gto View Post
    Not that hard to find ethanol free gas, it is all over - mostly smaller independent gas stations, airports, and marinas.

www.pure-gas.org
    Nice, but nothing in dfw unfortunately. Maybe I'll try phoning some of the marinas

Rule12b is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Sedan

I'm running two tunes in the sedan (E85/110leaded) and two in the coupe (91/100+ meth unleaded). The E85 required significant injector and fuel system upgrades, both for the original block, and the 434 Superdeck I'm running now. I would NOT tune for any sort of mix. You run E85 until you are about out, then you run gas, or vice versa. As for corrosion, I can't speak for that, but every CTS-V in the Unlimited Class of the Cadillac Challenge now runs E85 and everyone using it loves the power. It is a massive step up power-wise, even from 110 race fuel, runs cooler, and costs 30% of what race gas goes.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.