Initial thoughts on a brand-new CTS-V Wagon
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Initial thoughts on a brand-new CTS-V Wagon in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; So my dream car is finally here!! (banana doing pelvic thrusts): OBM, 6 MT, graphite wheels,normal calipers, no sunroof. A ...
    hoontang is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS-V Wagon OBM 6MT

Initial thoughts on a brand-new CTS-V Wagon

So my dream car is finally here!! (banana doing pelvic thrusts):
    OBM, 6 MT, graphite wheels,normal calipers, no sunroof.

A couple of thoughts on the initial experience so far...

- the salespeople seemed really excited by the car. I had at least 4 guys at the
    dealership come up and congratulate me, and all four said when they heard about
    the Opulent Blue Metallic and dark wheel combo, they weren't sure, but loved it
    once they saw it. I think its their first (and last) Vagon in a long time.

- I negotiated pretty hard with the dealer, and made it clear I didn't want any add
    ons or upsells at the signing, just the final price. I am NOT gonna pay a lot for
    this muffler!!! They were actually very pleasant, and the only thing they offered
    was wheel and tire insurance. Any non-wear and non-scuff damage to wheels
    and tires, $600 for 5 years. I took it, figuring any damage to a Michelin
    Pilots Sport or a wheel are worth close to that.

- I got a $1500 conquest discount for non-GM owners, so that was a nice surprise

- I know there is a lot of debate, but there is a GM-recommended break-in protocol.
    Under 4000 RPM for first 1500 miles, and vary speed and easy on the brakes.
    I know this has been discussed ad nasuem, but I will have to trust GM's engineering expert
    recommendations rather than what some guy on the internets told me to do.

- I didn't know it has reverse gear lockout while in motion. While sitting in the garage
    and playing with the gearshift (and also getting high off the new car smell), I was
    having dark visions of throwing it from 4th into reverse on a track , and birthing the
    transmission out onto the tarmac. Not to worry, as I figured out during the break in.My
    other cars all had dog-leg or push down on the gearshift for R.

- the clutch uptake is a lot more sensitive than other MT cars. You really
    have to catch it within about an inch or so, or look like a noob. I assume this will get
    better as it wears in

- I have skinny feet, but I find it hard to heel-and-toe with this pedal setup. Seems more
    like the setup you'd expect on an auto transmission

- this car is vewy vewy quiet

- Not a fan of the electronic parking brake

- complaining about poor gas mileage in a car with this kind of performance is like
    inviting your fat super-fun buddy over for the weekend and complaining he drank all
    your beer and ate all your food. Its expected, and part of the whole deal.

Overall, I am enjoying it, but can't wait until the break-in period is over.
    FLTRI likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

Re: Initial thoughts on a brand-new CTS-V Wagon

I like everything about this post. Except the lack of pictures. PICTURES.

Definitely stick to the break in period, if not for the engine then definitely for the rear diff. Just take it easy for the first 1500 miles, let everything settle.

Other than that, welcome to the wagon club. Check out this thread, me and FLTRI had a little wagon-fest last Sunday. The CTS-V wagon is one of the all time great grand touring cars.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-3-0-pics.html
    Random84 likes this.

vfaninva is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    Congrats and welcome aboard! Love the OBM.
    Great write up but you missed the most important part.
    Where's the pics?

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

Congrats!

GM-4-LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 MN6 V Coupe, 2015i Escalade Premium

Congrats! Did you purchase or lease?

dhpro is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 11CTS V Wagon, 14 F250, 2010 FJ, 2008 Tundra, 2005 Cayenne

All agreed and many of same impressions when I first got mine. The E break grew on me and I actually really like the auto unlock feature - great for hill starts with the 6MT. As for break in, I suggest it's more for the diff than the motor, but never hurts to be too careful...the next owner will appreciate it!!!

Va72mlibu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by hoontang
    OBM, 6 MT, graphite wheels,normal calipers, no sunroof.
    The coveted Vagon "Superleggera". You made a wise choice my friend. Welcome to the club.
    stl_ls1gto, neuronbob and Xaqtly like this.

hoontang is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS-V Wagon OBM 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by GM-4-LIFE View Post
    Congrats! Did you purchase or lease?
    I ended up buying.

Ok, bear with me, we've all seen these pix before, but since you asked...

(This is kind of like when someone shows you pictures of their newborn - they all kinda look the same, but you are responding to the enthusiasm)
    Attached Images

vfaninva is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    Very nice. We never get tired of looking at our V's!

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Congrats! Stick to the part about proper break in...especially for the rear diff!

stl_ls1gto is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V wagon M6, 2011 GMC Sierra CCSB 6.2L, 2004 GTO

I just had my dealer change the diff oil on my 1 year service (I had about 1600 miles on the car). There is a TSB out for this car (and others for that matter) on the rear diff. The TSB says if you notice any slight chatter or groaning, to change the rear fluid. I would do that after the break in if I were you....just listen "real carefully" and you will hear a "slight chatter" on launch, and you will get your diff oil changed for free. Good way to get the break in oil out with the slight metal shavings from the break in of the diff.

No roof, M6 wagon club member as well.

datadawg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Vagon Ordered

I was shopping for OBM, but then decided to go w/Plum... I still sometimes have that weird vibe in my gut that maybe OBM would have been the right choice. I am waiting anxiously for the Vagon to arrive, so I can stop salivating. Thanks for posting your pix and enjoy.

FWIW, I was considering getting a 2013 Vagon with 2,200 miles on odo that came out of Bondurant school. The price was super low. By happenstance, I was at the Barrett Jackson auction a few weeks ago in Florida and they had a C7 Z06 in a booth that got auctioned for $1MM. Went over to see who was dumb enough to do THAT and ran into some guy who just happened to be some top manager from Cadillac marketing. He and I got to talking and I asked him what he thought about buying a track car for $40K with just 2,300 miles. He said he would NOT do it b/c those cars are typically abused right from the go. As in no break in, full throttle acceleration, etc. He said the motor is stout enough to handle it, but the transmission would be his worry. This was the major reason why I bit the bullet and paid $25K more (even w/GMS pricing) for new V. He also did say that this type of use every mile driven is like 20 miles worth of wear and tear.

So, long winded way of saying keep the action calm for break in.

quikag is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 White Diamond CTS-V Sedan, '10 Cyber Gray ZR1

Great write-up and nice looking car! She will be a classic someday, so try to keep it for the long haul!

GM-4-LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 MN6 V Coupe, 2015i Escalade Premium

Quote Originally Posted by datadawg View Post
    I was shopping for OBM, but then decided to go w/Plum... I still sometimes have that weird vibe in my gut that maybe OBM would have been the right choice. I am waiting anxiously for the Vagon to arrive, so I can stop salivating. Thanks for posting your pix and enjoy.

FWIW, I was considering getting a 2013 Vagon with 2,200 miles on odo that came out of Bondurant school. The price was super low. By happenstance, I was at the Barrett Jackson auction a few weeks ago in Florida and they had a C7 Z06 in a booth that got auctioned for $1MM. Went over to see who was dumb enough to do THAT and ran into some guy who just happened to be some top manager from Cadillac marketing. He and I got to talking and I asked him what he thought about buying a track car for $40K with just 2,300 miles. He said he would NOT do it b/c those cars are typically abused right from the go. As in no break in, full throttle acceleration, etc. He said the motor is stout enough to handle it, but the transmission would be his worry. This was the major reason why I bit the bullet and paid $25K more (even w/GMS pricing) for new V. He also did say that this type of use every mile driven is like 20 miles worth of wear and tear.

So, long winded way of saying keep the action calm for break in.
    datadawg,

I like OBM in the wagon body. It kind of reminds me of the C5's electron blue that came out in 2002 and I really liked that color a lot and GM sold a lot of Electron blue Vettes. Between the plum and the OBM, I would personally go OBM for that standout effect. The plum is a very stealthy color and is too understated.

The GM Dude is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V

Very nice! It's gonna look even better once you get it tinted.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.