Clutch upgrade for heavy traffic?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Clutch upgrade for heavy traffic? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; My V just rolled over 80,000 miles and the clutch seems fine but I know that it has been used ...
    K-manV2-6MT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V 6MT

Clutch upgrade for heavy traffic?

My V just rolled over 80,000 miles and the clutch seems fine but I know that it has been used hard by the previous owner. I am gearing up to move out to LA in late July. I just returned from there and was reminded of how much traffic is an everyday reality. I don't want to give up my V just to move out there but I am worried about clutch wear and the inevitable replacement. Is a clutch upgrade worth the money and will it bring resilience to the clutch in those types of constant-use situation? If so is anyone familiar with available kits? I understand comfort could be sacrificed but my biggest concern is the wear life of the stock clutch, and putting it into some really hot situations. (As a side-note the other fearful thing about LA is all of the driveway entries seem very steep and I watched countless locals scraping the front clip of their amgs, and some cars that didn't even look as low as our V's, although my Camry rental seemed to do just alright). Any guidance on clutch wear and heavy traffic situations would be greatly appreciated.

-Kurtis

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

Re: Clutch upgrade for heavy traffic?

Honestly the stock clutch is very good, it has a dual mass flywheel to take outrageous amounts of power and still remain light and easy to use. I wouldn't even bother trying to upgrade it, I would just replace the clutch disk and the throwout bearings with new OEM parts when the time comes. As a tip for heavy traffic, don't bother using the throttle when you're inching forward. Just let the clutch out slowly, and the engine has enough torque to pull the car forward with no throttle input. This will help on clutch disk wear because you are engaging the clutch with a very low speed differential between the disk and the flywheel, which reduces the amount of friction between them, which reduces the amount of disk material that burns up on contact.

The stock clutch is very stout, I wouldn't think you would need to upgrade it just for longevity's sake as long as you're not tracking or racing it.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Second this wholeheartedly. I don't own a manual V but have had my share of high-po Chevy clutches. I think a heavier duty clutch may be worse for your traffic commute personally.

DCV
    DCV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV bone stock

I agree, high dollar "performance" clutches with separate pucks on the friction plate and aluminum flywheels are a pain in the butt and terrible in traffic.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Too much torque to need to worry about using the clutch a lot...

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Just drive it. Don't worry about the clutch, as noted above. This clutch is super-easy to use in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Been doing it for 16 months now and it's not tiring at all.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    90,000+ on the original clutch. I don't drive my age. Leave it alone. If you abuse it, replace with stock parts. Save your money on the after-market.
    Jud

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels

So since you're worried traffic will prematurely kill your clutch and require replacing it, you want to replace it sooner? I don't get it.

I appreciate the replies. In honesty spearfish I am trying to avoid an eventual burnout out the clutch in a potentially inconvenient manner. Happened to me before in an old B6 platform S4 in horrible traffic and hot weather... it just sucks to smell it heating up and have nowhere to retreat to.

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

No, you're asking good questions. But I think you'll find that you won't have any problems with the stock clutch. It's very beefy. It will wear out eventually, but not because you're in LA necessarily, there's just a finite amount of material on the clutch disc. If you want to pre-empt any issues, just replace the disc and throwout bearings sooner rather than later, and you should be set for the rest of the life of the car, most likely.

Like JFJr, I don't baby my car and my stock OEM clutch is completely happy with 53k miles on it. This is actually a great clutch, not something you can say about all performance cars with a manual.

DCV
    DCV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV bone stock

Happened to me before in an old B6 platform S4 in horrible traffic and hot weather
    My B6 S4 did the same thing while on the way to Summit Point one summer, near Harpers Ferry. It was close to 100 and I was stuck in traffic for a long time....and the clutch was never the same after that. Got the burnt clutch smell and it slipped a bit after that. I have no worries on the V though. Plus on the V, we have separate reservoirs for clutch and brake fluid. On the S, they shared the reservoir....which is a stupid thing to do.

cts-v ls6 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

123K miles on stock clutch. Works fine.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by cts-v ls6 View Post
    123K miles on stock clutch. Works fine.

Jack
    That is awesome mileage to see still running well, and I have had no issues with the V since I have owned it so I really should just trust the engineering. Thanks for the encouragement and another reassurance that this car is the best thing to drive.

SoCalCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV Coupe, 1966 Chevelle
    What's a new stock clutch gonna run us? Can't be as bad as a BMW one.

SoCal

I had a Cadillac dealer quote me $3,600 for a my 05' V1 clutch replacement including slave cylinder and everything, but it was a total ripoff. I felt a flutter when releasing the clutch and I took it to them and they gave me all the worst news possible. Went to my own local mechanic and he got under the dash and everything was totally fine, it was just a broken motor mount for $370. I put another 30k on the car after that no problems. I would assume if you bought the parts yourself ($1500) and had a trustworthy mechanic it would be $600-$1000 in labor so something in that range 2k range to have everything replaced. It was $3200 for the B6 S4 I mentioned earlier just as a reference point.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.