Where does yours chip? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Where does yours chip? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I did, partial hood partial front fenders headlights mirrors rockers removed factory clear bra in front of rear tires, installed ...
    Club Malibu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V, White, Manual, Bone stock, no sun-roof

Re: Where does yours chip?

I did,

partial hood
    partial front fenders
    headlights
    mirrors
    rockers
    removed factory clear bra in front of rear tires, installed larger area
    thin strip on trunk/bumper lip (semi-useless but it was in the pre-cut pattern)
    Cadillac shield on grill
    door handle cups

If I had to do it all over again, I would have chosen FULL hood and FULL front fenders and the ENTIRE rear bumper

The job used pre-cut patterns. Price was about $800, I forget. Totally worth it to me.

This was all Venture Shield. At the time, 3M was inferior and I have seen the inferior 3M and it blows compared to the Venture Shield. Now 3M bought Venture Shield. There is still some confusing between the old 3M and the new 3M-Venture Shield. The story is 3M could not replicate Venture Shield so 3M just bought them out.

My advice is, try to find an installer who knows the difference between Venture Shield and the old/new 3M. I seen the horror stories posted on this forum of experienced places using inexperienced kids installing clear bras on cars. Do your homework.

vfaninva is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    ^^^Good points. Didn't know about Venture Shield. Must have gotten the good stuff because it still looks great a year and a half later.
    Definitely good advice to find an installer who has experience with this stuff. The guy who has tinted my windows for years had just started doing 3M didn't want to take a chance of screwing it up and pointed me in the direction of a guy in my area who has a great rep.

NW94Z is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS V Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Club Malibu View Post
    I did,

partial hood
    partial front fenders
    headlights
    mirrors
    rockers
    removed factory clear bra in front of rear tires, installed larger area
    thin strip on trunk/bumper lip (semi-useless but it was in the pre-cut pattern)
    Cadillac shield on grill
    door handle cups

If I had to do it all over again, I would have chosen FULL hood and FULL front fenders and the ENTIRE rear bumper

The job used pre-cut patterns. Price was about $800, I forget. Totally worth it to me.

This was all Venture Shield. At the time, 3M was inferior and I have seen the inferior 3M and it blows compared to the Venture Shield. Now 3M bought Venture Shield. There is still some confusing between the old 3M and the new 3M-Venture Shield. The story is 3M could not replicate Venture Shield so 3M just bought them out.

My advice is, try to find an installer who knows the difference between Venture Shield and the old/new 3M. I seen the horror stories posted on this forum of experienced places using inexperienced kids installing clear bras on cars. Do your homework.
    3M bought Ventureshield over 5 years ago. At the time 3M Scotchguard could not compete with VS so they bought them out. 3M left VS relatively unchanged but they did change the adhesive to the 3M composition since one of VS weaknesses was it's adhesive properties. While the appearance of VS to the 3M product and others on the market has been it's strength (looks very similar to bare paint) it has one fatal flaw. There is no legitimate topcoat which means VS is porous and very prone to staining unless well cared for and sealed with a good clear polymer compound like Rejex. 3M, Expel, Nanofusion etc... all have sealed topcoats that resist staining and in the case of Expel, Nanofusion and the Suntek brand film offer self healing properties but this is a little misleading. The original creators of VS have moved on and begun a new paint protection film company called PremiumShield. Very similar to the original VS but their Ultra level film has a true top coat and the film is very easy to work with similar to others like Expel and Nanofusion. After seeing and using all the films listed above when I did my wife's car I still went with VS. It is my film of choice and there isn't enough long term data on PremiumShield imo to risk using it yet. Especially when wrapping over half the car.

3M does have a new film due out anytime now which is supposed to revolutionize the PPF market. Instead of looking at their competitors and trying to copy or match them they started from scratch and developed a new film with new processes and materials that is supposed to be a game changer. I'm plan to get my hands on some as soon as it's available and test it by wrapping the rear quarters.

Bottom line VS looks great but requires a lot of maintenance to keep looking great. The other big brands require less care but all PPF's will show their age if not treated right. My Z06 has the same application of VS it received in 2008 and the car still gets trophies at shows which means the film looks good enough to fool most people that it's not even on there.
    Club Malibu likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NW94Z View Post
    Bottom line VS looks great but requires a lot of maintenance to keep looking great. The other big brands require less care but all PPF's will show their age if not treated right.
    I asked the installer and was told that the film does not require any special care. I wash and wax the covered areas along with the rest of the car and haven't seen any difference/problem.
    Does anyone know of special care for the 3M film?

Quote Originally Posted by vfaninva View Post
    I asked the installer and was told that the film does not require any special care. I wash and wax the covered areas along with the rest of the car and haven't seen any difference/problem.
    Does anyone know of special care for the 3M film?
    How long ago was your film installed and which film specifically was used?
    A good installer before they even install any film on your car should give you a rundown of all the films and what they can offer you and what pros and cons are. Installers that say there is no maintenance is telling you that to avoid discouraging you from having film installed. Some films are much lower maintenance than others. VS because it is largely unchanged for so many years and does NOT have a topcoat is susceptible to staining. The film is literally porous and will take environmental damage. On every car I have installed VS the rules are simple. Treat the film as you would your paint. Wash it regularly and wax it but do not use a wax with color in it because over time it will contribute to discoloration. If you find bird droppings on the film or bug splatter remove as soon as possible it can and will stain VS. The color of the car you have film on will also help hide or diminish flaws in the film. Silver is the best. Black is the worst. Installers used to recommend using a product called Plexus to care for PPF. Plexus is a plastic cleaner and when it dries it dries yellow. Spray Plexus in the white cap from the can and let it sit for a little while. Guess what happened.
    Club Malibu likes this.

I just spoke with the guy who did my clearbra. He only uses 3M Paint Protection w/Scotchguard. The 3M PP has clear coat protection and does not require any special care.
    I tend to trust him as wraps a lot of high end cars and has been doing this since it has been available.
    He said 3M acquired Venture Shield about 2 or 3 years ago and was a good product. However, like you have already said, it does not have clear coat and does require special care.
    Since I don't use colored wax (not recommended) and am very meticulous about cleaning off any foreign matter right away, I believe the 3M PP was the right choice.

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by NW94Z View Post

3M bought Ventureshield over 5 years ago. At the time 3M Scotchguard could not compete with VS so they bought them out. 3M left VS relatively unchanged but they did change the adhesive to the 3M composition since one of VS weaknesses was it's adhesive properties. While the appearance of VS to the 3M product and others on the market has been it's strength (looks very similar to bare paint) it has one fatal flaw. There is no legitimate topcoat which means VS is porous and very prone to staining unless well cared for and sealed with a good clear polymer compound like Rejex. 3M, Expel, Nanofusion etc... all have sealed topcoats that resist staining and in the case of Expel, Nanofusion and the Suntek brand film offer self healing properties but this is a little misleading. The original creators of VS have moved on and begun a new paint protection film company called PremiumShield. Very similar to the original VS but their Ultra level film has a true top coat and the film is very easy to work with similar to others like Expel and Nanofusion. After seeing and using all the films listed above when I did my wife's car I still went with VS. It is my film of choice and there isn't enough long term data on PremiumShield imo to risk using it yet. Especially when wrapping over half the car.

3M does have a new film due out anytime now which is supposed to revolutionize the PPF market. Instead of looking at their competitors and trying to copy or match them they started from scratch and developed a new film with new processes and materials that is supposed to be a game changer. I'm plan to get my hands on some as soon as it's available and test it by wrapping the rear quarters.

Bottom line VS looks great but requires a lot of maintenance to keep looking great. The other big brands require less care but all PPF's will show their age if not treated right. My Z06 has the same application of VS it received in 2008 and the car still gets trophies at shows which means the film looks good enough to fool most people that it's not even on there.
    Then I would guess you know Lew Cohen and Brett Webster personally? Venture Tape was a client of my company...

----------

I just spoke with the guy who did my clearbra. He only uses 3M Paint Protection w/Scotchguard. The 3M PP has clear coat protection and does not require any special care.
    I tend to trust him as wraps a lot of high end cars and has been doing this since it has been available.
    He said 3M acquired Venture Shield about 2 or 3 years ago and was a good product. However, like you have already said, it does not have clear coat and does require special care.
    Since I don't use colored wax (not recommended) and am very meticulous about cleaning off any foreign matter right away, I believe the 3M PP was the right choice.
    The acquisition was most certainly closer to 5 years ago, if not longer...

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    The acquisition was most certainly closer to 5 years ago, if not longer...
    Thanks BigJim. You're expert knowledge of all things automotive is always appreciated.

[QUOTE=thebigjimsho;12312185]Then I would guess you know Lew Cohen and Brett Webster personally? Venture Tape was a client of my company...

----------

I can't say that I ever met them but I have spent a number of years in and around the business. It's possible I've bumped into them at SEMA in the past.

Club Malibu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V, White, Manual, Bone stock, no sun-roof

I can vouch for the Plexus staining the Venture shield. Allow me to explain.

The Venture Shield for my rocker panels, was installed up to where the door closes and you can't see that portion when the door is closed. On one part, the very top part of the piece was pealing away because of stretching and poor fit. While spraying, some Plexus got behind the shield and I didn't wipe it off because it was behind the Venture shield and it stayed there and eventually it stained it yellow. I only see it when open the door.

I have used Plexus all over on my clear bra for 3 years and the rocker panel part was the only part that stained because it stayed there too long. No where else has it stained because I wiped it off very well when finished.

BUT, that was before I knew Plexus stained so now, I don't use the Plexus all over. I now only use it on the severe bug splatters that the spray wax and microfiber can't remove. (Blood filled mosquitoes are the worst.) Some of the bugs smashed so hard and so deep that it roughed up the Venture Shield. PAINT IS OKAY!!!!! And that's the point.

So now I only use the Plexus on the small and stubborn stains and not all over as I used to.

For what it's worth... I had the clear bra installed in May 2010. Car is parked and put into a coma in garage from October to May every year. Car has 21K miles on it. The Venture Shield is still beautiful. No swirls. The only discoloration is that rocker panel I mentioned.

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Thanks BigJim. You're expert knowledge of all things automotive is always appreciated.
    Unfortunately, I know of this firsthand because once 3M bought out Venture Tape, we lost the business. Though I still see the former owner once in awhile when he needs a ride...

vagondr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 CTS-V wagon WD graphite 6MT Corsa Sports

Quote Originally Posted by baabootoo View Post
    Spray-on 3M coating. When you're done for the year, just peel it off (or leave it on all year like I did).
    Has anyone experienced any problems applying the 3M Defender product, and more importantly, how easy is it to remove?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.