Leaky Diff in my '12 V Coupe?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Leaky Diff in my '12 V Coupe? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Took my V in for service last week, simple oil change at about 5k miles. My wife and I were ...
    Mr. Hyde is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Coupe

Leaky Diff in my '12 V Coupe?

Took my V in for service last week, simple oil change at about 5k miles. My wife and I were going to take our V for a little road trip to celebrate our anniversary.
    Didn't drive the car after the service visit until we left on the trip a couple of days later.

At the first stop for fuel, I noticed a distinct odor coming from under the car in the rear. It was raining, so I made a mental note about it and drove on. When we reached our motel, about 150 miles from home, I smelled it again as I unloaded the car.

Again, pouring down rail, so I figured I would look in the morning when it was dry and light out.

Sure enough, there was what appeared to be differential fluid on one of the exhaust pipes (Borla) on the drivers side.

Drove her home and made an appointment for today. So we will see what let loose.

I don't recall seeing problems with a leaky rear end on this forum, but I have not searched either.

I'm fairly certain the previous service had nothing to do with the sudden leak, as I would have suspected that the mechanic would have noticed the smell while he was under the car.

I will update....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Snotty Boom Body is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 13 V Coupe Thunder Gray
    The mechanic might have pulled the rear differential plug to check the fluid level and forgot to put it back in or left it loose and it fell out.

Re: Leaky Diff in my '12 V Coupe?

*UPDATE*
    The bolts on the differential coupling came loose, and I mean LOOSE!
    Two of them were almost completely backed out. The service adviser said he has never seen anything like it before.
    They are going to remove the entire rear end assembly and take it apart to see what caused this and if there is any damage to the diff.
    So, I have a 2.0 Turbo ATS4 in the mean time on loan.

Will update when I hear further.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde
    *UPDATE* The bolts on the differential coupling came loose, and I mean LOOSE! Two of them were almost completely backed out. The service adviser said he has never seen anything like it before. They are going to remove the entire rear end assembly and take it apart to see what caused this and if there is any damage to the diff. So, I have a 2.0 Turbo ATS4 in the mean time on loan. Will update when I hear further.
    Ugh. What a nightmare that was gonna be. Happy it didn't let go on you.

Would not have been a happy camper a couple of hundred miles from home, and ruining the anniversary weekend, so there is something to be glad about.....I guess....
    Just hope they put it all back together correctly.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Wow, strange indeedy.......

Dealership called yesterday, they have the complete rear end assembly out of the car. No damage done internally, and they are going to bolt it all back together today (Thursday) and give me a call when it is finished.

His best guess is that the bolts that hold the two half cases together, were never torqued down correctly from the factory. Somebody has asleep at their shift. lol

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde
    Dealership called yesterday, they have the complete rear end assembly out of the car. No damage done internally, and they are going to bolt it all back together today (Thursday) and give me a call when it is finished. His best guess is that the bolts that hold the two half cases together, were never torqued down correctly from the factory. Somebody has asleep at their shift. lol
    I don't buy it but maybe that's my cynicism coming out. I just find it coincidental this happened right after the dealer had it. Out of the blue? Ok...bolt torque...maybe.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    Dealership called yesterday, they have the complete rear end assembly out of the car. No damage done internally, and they are going to bolt it all back together today (Thursday) and give me a call when it is finished.

His best guess is that the bolts that hold the two half cases together, were never torqued down correctly from the factory. Somebody has asleep at their shift. lol
    Hello Mr. Hyde,

Thank you for taking the time to keep us updated. I am glad there was no damage done internally and that they are putting everything back together today. Please continue to keep us updated when you pick up the vehicle today. We will be sure to be on the lookout for your future posts or messages.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Got the car back today, the dealership even took pics of it to show me. Rather good customer service if I do say so.
    Attached Images

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hi Mr. Hyde,

We appreciate the update. I am glad that your vehicle is back in your hands and you are satisfied with the service from your dealership. If additional questions or concerns arise, please feel free to send us a private message.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.