Thousand dollar needlenose pliers
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Thousand dollar needlenose pliers in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Yesterday I had just left home when I hit something with my left front wheel -- heard it bounce once ...
    sierrabenz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V wagon 6mt

Thousand dollar needlenose pliers

Yesterday I had just left home when I hit something with my left front wheel -- heard it bounce once under my seat, and then almost instantly got the message that the left rear tire was low -- made it back into the garage and used the truck to run my errands. Stopped along the road where it happened and found a pair of neddlenose pliers that had obviously put a hole in the tire. Spent last night checking replacement tire prices and hoped that just maybe the tire could be fixed.

This morning I took the tire off the car -- surprise! In addition to damage to the tire, the wheel has a hole punched through the inside -- the pliers must have penetrated to a depth of about an inch and a half because the hole is almost 3/8ths of an inch in diameter.

So far haven't found a replacement wheel on line (satin graphite, 19x9.5). Tire Rack has the tire at $464 and a local place has the PS2 for $511 out the door (mount, balance, tax, etc). Will call Luke at Lindsay Cadillac (where I got the parts to fix my headlight washer) on Monday morning to see what his price on a wheel will be.... Or anyone have a lead on a replacement wheel at a non-dealer price?

tire.JPG

Looks like that little pair of pliers will cost me more than a thousand dollars when all is said and done. And the tire had only about 6K miles on it -- no road hazard warranty on the car as far as I can find.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

vfaninva is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    That sucks! Never heard of a rim being punctured.
    EBay has 19X9.5 satin black rim (new) for $425.00
    Doesn't include center cap or lugs. It says that they are genuine GM wheels (part #19257475).
    Seemed like a fair price. Good luck!

Re: Thousand dollar needlenose pliers

vfaninva:

Thanks -- hadn't spotted that one because the listing only was under 19x9, but reading down it seems that Abernathy does have wheels in stock for both front and rear (that is, the 19x9.5). I will give them a call on Monday to make sure that they have the rears available.

vfaninva is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    Glad to help!
    GMX322V S/C likes this.

Club Malibu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V, White, Manual, Bone stock, no sun-roof

My condolences.

Blakester is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 cts-v wagon
    Wonder if insurance under (comprehensive) would cover lose ?

Blakester:

I carry a $1000 deductible on my policies, so would not be covered anyway.

I found the best deal on a tire at $511 plus a few pennies, and after a lot of online shopping, found the wheel at $356 via GMPartsDirect. Ebay had it at $425 and Amazon a bit less than that. Will order the tire on Monday and then just wait for the wheel to get here. Hopefully the TP sensor will transfer from the old wheel, otherwise that will probably add another $40 to the till.

6104696 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I had a spark plug penetrate and destroy a tire on a suburban once...but the wheel was OK.

Keep those pliers. They are almost as expensive as the ones that the US government buys with taxpayer $$......

RapidRob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual

Quote Originally Posted by sierrabenz View Post
    I found the best deal on a tire at $511 plus a few pennies, and after a lot of online shopping, found the wheel at $356 via GMPartsDirect. Ebay had it at $425 and Amazon a bit less than that. Will order the tire on Monday and then just wait for the wheel to get here. Hopefully the TP sensor will transfer from the old wheel, otherwise that will probably add another $40 to the till.
    Did that wheel GMPartsDirect price include shipping? I've found their shipping charges in the past to be way out-of-line IMO.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Their shipping charges are INSANE. And just ask one of their reps. They'll tell you straight out that's where their money comes from.

09SRT8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V

That sucks, hope you get it fixed for the right price.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    The tire/wheel insurance the dealers sell are well worth it.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Several years ago when I had my Acura RL I had parked and my wheels were turned. As I got out of the car I saw this circular metallic object embedded in the treads. About the size of a quarter. I couldn't pull it out with my fingers and couldn't pull it out with pliers when I had gotten home. The tires were brand new, had gotten them about three weeks earlier so I went to Discount Tires where I had bought them.

I knew something was up when the tech broke down the wheel and then called the other techs over and they were all standing in a circle looking down at it.

They come back and call me and show me what it was. It was a CO2 cartridge that impaled the tire. Fortunately hadn't damaged the wheel, but the tire was toast. The width of the cartridge stretched and damaged the belts and tread.

leeu16 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I feel your pain op this just happened right now. Waiting on a tow. It is touching the wheel too.
    Attached Images

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.