Worried about gas !
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Worried about gas ! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I am having a 2011 CTSV Coupe with 43,000 miles and a perfect CARFAX report delivered to me on Saturday ...
    Cbakke is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Worried about gas !

I am having a 2011 CTSV Coupe with 43,000 miles and a perfect CARFAX report delivered to me on Saturday and I am just wondering if I should be concerned on which gas they have been putting in it? I heard that down in Texas they have 93 but everywhere around me has 91. Anything to be concerned about and do I need to program the car or anything to run on 91?
    Or should I just fill it with 91 when I get it and not be worried about it?

I'm new here so sorry if it's a dumb question. Just want to make sure!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

V locity is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan A6, 730 RWHP Stock airbox & stock exst

Re: Worried about gas !

If it's stock, you'll be fine on 91

Yep it's stock. But they might have been running 93 or 87 for all I know I guess but it's from a dealership so I'm not sure they will know either. Should I just put 91 in it and drive it? I'm probably more worried about it than I should be lol

LukeAnakin is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Good thought but you should certainly be fine with 91. There are always some bottled add-ons you could do, but probably not necessary.
    'Grats on your purchase and hope it is enjoyable!

LA

vagondr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 CTS-V wagon WD graphite 6MT Corsa Sports

The car, under normal driving conditions, will operate the same with either octane. If you really get on it the knock sensor will signal the ECM to retard the timing temporarily and you will sacrifice some performance but not engine life.

Quote Originally Posted by vagondr View Post
    The car, under normal driving conditions, will operate the same with either octane. If you really get on it the knock sensor will signal the ECM to retard the timing temporarily and you will sacrifice some performance but not engine life.
    This... There is actually a low octane timing table in the tune that the ECU adapts to if it senses lower octane

We also have 89 which is what I would normally put in my camaro SS and is a little cheaper would that work also? Or should I just stick with the 91? Or would either work? That was my last question! Thanks again for your help guys! I'm very excited to get my first V!

Stick to the 91!

13bmx5 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 13 V coupe 6mt

Quote Originally Posted by Cbakke View Post
    We also have 89 which is what I would normally put in my camaro SS and is a little cheaper would that work also? Or should I just stick with the 91? Or would either work? That was my last question! Thanks again for your help guys! I'm very excited to get my first V!
    Stop being cheap! This is a supercharged rocket caddy; not a prius.

I got money I'm just saying if there's not really a difference then why pay the extra. But I understand now, so 91 it is!

CTSV UT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V sedan, 2000 Eldorado ETC

Yes, there is a difference. States with higher elevations usually offer 91 octane. 93 octane is usually found in lower elevations where cylinder pressure is higher on a N/A engine. Blowers are usually a ratio so elevation also reduces cylinder pressure. If you look in the manual it says 91 is a minimum. I would not go below 91 unless you never open the throttle wide open. I have not been able to accomplish this even on a trip to Wal-Mart. I live at 4800ft elevation in Utah, standard barometer is around 25.00" it is 24.89" right now. Being that barometric pressure is at best 17% lower than sea level and sometimes 20% down I should only be able to reach 6.5lbs of boost but, when I watch the boost gauge it consistently goes over 8lbs. There could only be two reasons for this. One. The boost gauge is just wrong or Two. There is a wastegate on the blower. I have read some strings about an adjustment for the boost which would imply there is a waste gate and elevation doesn't matter but, if that were true then there is no way a CAI system would improve power because the wastegate would blow it off unless the wastegate is restrictive. I digress, anyway, always buy at least 91 octane. I have tried adding the octane boost but, haven't noticed any difference. I have bought a CAI and when the weather gets better I will put it on (got an inch of snow today, at least it is not sticking to the roads now).

CavemanB52 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV coupe
    The 91 octane out west is because of the altitude. Its the same gas that's at lower altitudes. Gas becomes unstable and thus loses octane as you go up in altitude. The 91 will be fine. Dont use octane boosters on a regular basis. Most of them are a sham and can cause problems with your plugs and injectors.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Octane boosters are useless. Most are advertised to raise octane by a few "points". That doesn't mean 87 goes to 90. It means 87 goes to 87.3...

CavemanB52 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Octane boosters are useless. Most are advertised to raise octane by a few "points". That doesn't mean 87 goes to 90. It means 87 goes to 87.3...
    Absolutely correct.

bnagel is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan

91 here. I also add some injector cleaner every 3K miles. I usually use seafoam.
    Ben

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.