Pilot Super Sports tire wear pics
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Pilot Super Sports tire wear pics in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Just in case anybody was curious. I replaced my PSS tires with 25k miles on them yesterday, I took this ...
    Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

Pilot Super Sports tire wear pics

Just in case anybody was curious. I replaced my PSS tires with 25k miles on them yesterday, I took this pic minutes before they were replaced. So for 25k miles they still had a decent amount of tread on them, but the grip was mostly gone. I was starting to slide all over the road, and the final straw was a medium-hard stop that turned into a full blown ABS panic stop because the tires had no grip on the pavement. But I'd still say anything over 20k miles on high performance tires like the PSS is still pretty good.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elphil is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Really Cool '11 CTS-V Wagon

Re: Pilot Super Sports tire wear pics

Since you are in LV I guess low outside temperatures didn't contribute to lose of grip.

the blur is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

No reason those tires should not stop well on dry pavement... if them temperatures were above 40 degrees. They can't be more than 5-6 years old. Was there sand on the road ?

Club Malibu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V, White, Manual, Bone stock, no sun-roof

Still curious....

Quote Originally Posted by the blur View Post
    No reason those tires should not stop well on dry pavement... if them temperatures were above 40 degrees. They can't be more than 5-6 years old. Was there sand on the road ?
    No, it was in the 60s and they're about a year old, with 25k miles on them. The grip has been degrading pretty steadily over the last few months, and it just got to the point where a lot of the time it felt like I was driving on grease.
    Club Malibu likes this.

Mach2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS V Sedan

What did you replace them with, another set of Pilot Super Sports or another tire? Where in Las Vegas did you go for tires?

garfin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;

Quote Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
    No, it was in the 60s and they're about a year old, with 25k miles on them. The grip has been degrading pretty steadily over the last few months, and it just got to the point where a lot of the time it felt like I was driving on grease.
    My original PS2s were similar, in that there is still a fair amount of tread left on them, but their grip is no where near what it was when they were new, especially in the wet. They're sitting out in the shed, in case of emergency. I was hoping the PSS tires would maintain their grip a lot longer, but any improvement on the PS2s is good. The old Firehawk SZ50 EP had a different rubber compound underneath the top layer that helped it to maintain grip when the tread wore down. They still gripped well with less than 2/32" tread left. You could almost use them as slicks on a track day, but the bottom line was that at the end of the day, they're useful life looks to be similar to the PSS.

Best regards,

Elie

FLTRI is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium

Why would a year old tire, with tread left, get slippery? I know tires degrade over time (rubber gets hard) but a year? That seems like an awfully short lifespan. What's the date code on them? Maybe they sat on a shelf for a few years before you got them???

elphil is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Really Cool '11 CTS-V Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by FLTRI View Post
    Why would a year old tire, with tread left, get slippery? I know tires degrade over time (rubber gets hard) but a year? That seems like an awfully short lifespan. What's the date code on them? Maybe they sat on a shelf for a few years before you got them???
    Maybe high temperatures contribute to faster aging. For four to five months out of the year in the Las Vegas area you get 100 degrees plus during the day.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

I'd may look elsewhere than tire wear. They seem to have plenty left so it shouldn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by FLTRI View Post
    I was just assuming it had more to do with the wear on the tires than the age. 25k miles got them down pretty far, there was still tread left but it wasn't a lot. The grooves are fairly deep on the corners but across the main surface area you can see the tread isn't quite gone but it's close. It's probably just how that tire is designed, in order to get a 300 treadwear rating, so they can say it still has tread even after it doesn't grip well any more.

It's still a lot of miles for this kind of tire so I'm not upset about it or anything. I was just surprised that the grip started going away the way it did, while they still had some tread left.

I replaced the PSSes with Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Positions, OEM sizes, stock wheels, and there is a massive difference in traction. I mean you would expect that anyway with new tires, but it underscores how much grip the PSSes had lost at that point.

Oh, for Mach2: I got the tires from Tire Rack and had them delivered, but that was before I understood that Discount Tire carries pretty much every brand and will match internet pricing, which would have saved me $70 in shipping costs, so next time I'm just ordering through discount tire and having them price match whatever deal I can find. I went to the Discount Tire here:

475 West Centennial
    North Las Vegas, NV 89084
    (702) 399-1189

Because they're a new store and they have a new-fangled touchless tire machine, meaning it doesn't touch the rim when they remove and install tires. It uses compressed air, it's pretty cool. Highly recommended for all us Vegas V owners, as I went to 3 other tire stores and none of them could guarantee that their older style duckbill tire removers wouldn't scratch the rims.

Oh, and here's why the wagon is best:

stevey29 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sedan, 2013 GMC Acadia, 1972 Buick GS Stage1

Is that a 305 back there! WOW!

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

So they were down to the wear bars?

quikag is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 White Diamond CTS-V Sedan, '10 Cyber Gray ZR1

Need new tires soon. How did the PSS compare to the PS2 as I'm thinking of trying the PSS this go around???

Mach2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS V Sedan

I've got almost 29K on the stock Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's and am looking to replace them. There's a Discount Tire here in Henderson, Boulder Highway & Lake Mead, that I've dealt with and they will match Tire Rack prices. I've always had good luck with Bridgestone and will probably go with Potenza S-04 Pole Positions too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.