Pilot Super Sports tire wear pics - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Pilot Super Sports tire wear pics in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by Mach2 I've got almost 29K on the stock Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's and am looking to replace ...
    vfaninva is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach2 View Post
    I've got almost 29K on the stock Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's and am looking to replace them.
    Wow that's the most I've heard of the stock tires lasting. When I bought my '09 it had the originals w/22k on them and they were toast.

FLTRI is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium

Re: Pilot Super Sports tire wear pics

I've got almost 29K on the stock Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's and am looking to replace them. There's a Discount Tire here in Henderson, Boulder Highway & Lake Mead, that I've dealt with and they will match Tire Rack prices. I've always had good luck with Bridgestone and will probably go with Potenza S-04 Pole Positions too.
    +1 on Discount Tire. I use the one on Silverado Ranch and Eastern. Manager is Brian, he takes very, very good care of us. We've actually followed him when he's moved from store to store.

Club Malibu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V, White, Manual, Bone stock, no sun-roof

I've got almost 29K on the stock Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's and .....
    Someone call Guinness!

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Better yet, TireBuyer.com.

Mach2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS V Sedan

Well, let me make this perfectly clear about my 29K tires of the 2010 V Sedan, are these Michelin Pilot Sport PS2"s?

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Sure looks like them.

vfaninva is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    We have a record!

Wait, those look like the specially formulated tires that the dealers keep telling us about that are great for mileage AND snow!!!
    Club Malibu likes this.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by FLTRI View Post
    Why would a year old tire, with tread left, get slippery? I know tires degrade over time (rubber gets hard) but a year? That seems like an awfully short lifespan. What's the date code on them? Maybe they sat on a shelf for a few years before you got them???
    No. These are a brand new model year tire in a brand new size. At most, the oldest PSS in this size is less than a year old. They only introduced the tire itself from mid 2012 or so.

Need new tires soon. How did the PSS compare to the PS2 as I'm thinking of trying the PSS this go around???
    there is, absolutely no reason to buy the PS2. The PSS is cheaper, better in traction in every aspect, and lasts longer. I put these on my S4, they're fantastic.

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels

Tires wear out both due to tread wear (obvious) and heat cycling (not obvious to most people). Every time you bring a tire up to operating temp and then let it cool, the rubber hardens. It's essentially vulcanizing still. After many heat cycles, you have a harder tire with lower grip. You've heat cycled a 25k mile tire hundreds of times.

It's more noticeable on race tires. Plenty of people with R-comps purchase their tires shaved for better performance and get them heat cycled by the retailer (e.g. TireRack) a few times so they don't chunk the first time they track them and last longer. It's common to replace an R-comp tire before they're worn down simply due to heat cycling. This is why people use a durometer on their tires to assess their age, useful life, and amount of wear.

For those who are interested, more reading:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=66

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

That makes sense, thanks spearfish. And it raises an interesting point - it means there's a performance ceiling in terms of treadwear, so there really is no point in trying to get a performance tire beyond 300TW because at that point it's been heat cycled so many times it doesn't matter if you have tread left or not, the grip is gone regardless.

The S-04s I have on my V now are close, they have a TW280 rating and with heat cycling in mind I bet there's no need for it to be higher than that since they'll lose their grip by the time the tread wears down. I didn't even think of using a durometer on my PSSes before taking them off.

garfin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;

Quote Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
    That makes sense, thanks spearfish. And it raises an interesting point - it means there's a performance ceiling in terms of treadwear, so there really is no point in trying to get a performance tire beyond 300TW because at that point it's been heat cycled so many times it doesn't matter if you have tread left or not, the grip is gone regardless.

The S-04s I have on my V now are close, they have a TW280 rating and with heat cycling in mind I bet there's no need for it to be higher than that since they'll lose their grip by the time the tread wears down. I didn't even think of using a durometer on my PSSes before taking them off.
    Keep in mind that tire treadwear ratings are only consistent when comparing tires from the same manufacturer. Using treadwear ratings to compare a tire from one manufacturer to a tire made by a different manufacturer doesn't hold water since each manufacturer sets their own standard or baseline wear rating for their tires.

Best regards,

Elie

Good points people.

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

FWIW the tires are broken in now and they definitely got stickier. Really enjoying having some traction again, it's fantastic.

dennych is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

I'm probably replacing my Ps2's with super sports when done as well. I don't like how my tires looked after the trackday but I still have tread left haha.

Good to hear discount tire is good. I have one near me on torrance and needed a place to replace my tires.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.