Weird noise today
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Weird noise today in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; So I was sitting in bumper to bumper traffic today which was a huge pain with a clutch. However, I ...
  1. #1
    XDecker is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Age
    37
    Posts
    15

    Weird noise today

    So I was sitting in bumper to bumper traffic today which was a huge pain with a clutch. However, I was on long hill and I was just starting to move (slowly letting out the clutch) when all of a sudden there was this huge BANG, and my v jumped forward. I thought that either I had been hit (but I had not..the guy behind me was like 15 feet away) or that I had let out the clutch too fast and stalled. However, it turns out that neither one of these was the case...the engine was still running and I inspected my rear bumper as soon as I got to work.

    The car seems to drive fine. I am a little worried that I might have broken something somehow but there don't appear to be any issues, and there are no idiot lights on. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? I have to say that my car seems to have small backfires quite often when decelerating...don't know if that helps. If I had done something like broken my diff or something, I would assume that the car would be undriveable.

    Anyone have any thoughts? Should I take it to the stealership?
    Thanks in advance.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    6104696 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,929

    Re: Weird noise today

    Sounds like first gear might not have been fully engaged (shifter not fully pushed forward), and the gear/synchro movement popped it out of gear; after the bang, were you in neutral, or first gear?

  4. #3
    RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Age
    39
    Posts
    768

    Re: Weird noise today

    Quote Originally Posted by 6104696 View Post
    Sounds like first gear might not have been fully engaged (shifter not fully pushed forward), and the gear/synchro movement popped it out of gear; after the bang, were you in neutral, or first gear?
    This ^^^ maybe. I had that happen on my corvette a couple times. I thought there was something wrong with the clutch / transmission but it turned out the shifter was just loose. Take it easy on the power shifts He-MAN

  5. #4
    XDecker is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Age
    37
    Posts
    15

    Re: Weird noise today

    Quote Originally Posted by 6104696 View Post
    Sounds like first gear might not have been fully engaged (shifter not fully pushed forward), and the gear/synchro movement popped it out of gear; after the bang, were you in neutral, or first gear?
    This sounds like a very good possibility. I may have accidentally not pushed it all the way into first. I believe that I was in neutral after the noise. I can't remember exactly though. It was a couple of days ago and I was in stop and go traffic, so I was shifting between first and neutral every so often so I didn't need to have the clutch depressed the whole time.

    Do you think I may have harmed the synchro in doing so if it was the case? everything seems fine, and the shifting seems the same as it always has.

    Thank you very much for your help
    Brian

  6. #5
    6104696 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,929

    Re: Weird noise today

    This has happened to me in my 2010 once or twice, and the car has been fine ever since. I changed the trans fluid last summer (at about 14K miles) and the old fluid came out pink and clean, with no unusual metal shavings or chunks.

    This transmission is pretty rugged. Relax and enjoy, and make sure it is always fully in gear. Worry about it only when you have a consistent and repeatable problem.

  7. #6
    Trapspeed's Avatar
    Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,464
    Quote Originally Posted by XDecker
    This sounds like a very good possibility. I may have accidentally not pushed it all the way into first. I believe that I was in neutral after the noise. I can't remember exactly though. It was a couple of days ago and I was in stop and go traffic, so I was shifting between first and neutral every so often so I didn't need to have the clutch depressed the whole time. Do you think I may have harmed the synchro in doing so if it was the case? everything seems fine, and the shifting seems the same as it always has. Thank you very much for your help Brian
    I don't think you damaged anything.

  8. #7
    XDecker is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Age
    37
    Posts
    15

    Re: Weird noise today

    Quote Originally Posted by 6104696 View Post
    This has happened to me in my 2010 once or twice, and the car has been fine ever since. I changed the trans fluid last summer (at about 14K miles) and the old fluid came out pink and clean, with no unusual metal shavings or chunks.

    This transmission is pretty rugged. Relax and enjoy, and make sure it is always fully in gear. Worry about it only when you have a consistent and repeatable problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapspeed View Post
    I don't think you damaged anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaVeNous View Post
    This ^^^ maybe. I had that happen on my corvette a couple times. I thought there was something wrong with the clutch / transmission but it turned out the shifter was just loose. Take it easy on the power shifts He-MAN
    Hi guys,

    Just wanted to thank you for the input. I knew I was probably being paranoid since the car seems to be driving fine, but it never hurts to get a second opinion. I'm a wannabe car guy, so I have a general idea enough to talk the talk a little, but I only have a little bit of practical experience/knowledge.

    On the bright side, I have had my v for just over 8k miles now (bought a 2009 with 12k miles on it) and I still love driving it. even the stop and go traffic the other day, while a bit annoying, is not enough to take away from the thrill when I put the right foot down !

    Cheers,
    Brian

  9. #8
    Trapspeed's Avatar
    Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,464
    Quote Originally Posted by XDecker
    (bought a 2009 with 12k miles on it)
    Great find...especially a manual car. Enjoy it.

  10. #9
    XDecker is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Age
    37
    Posts
    15

    Re: Weird noise today

    Quote Originally Posted by Trapspeed View Post
    Great find...especially a manual car. Enjoy it.
    Unfortunately, I bought it at a BMW stealership and didn't do as great on the deal as I would have liked. I did OK, but not well. (Paid 43.5k 8 months ago) Sales Guy knew he had a car he would have been able to sell even if I didn't buy, and even though I walked out, he didn't budge on that price we negotiated. Oh well, I see it as the cost of entertainment.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting