Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Highway Driving

7K views 59 replies 29 participants last post by  Silverback 
#1 ·
Why does everybody and their brother want to race me? Just returned from a 7 hour family road trip knocked off a BMW, SRT8, TIBURON 300ZX, MUSTANG GT, with the wife and son in the car! I know it was stupid but they kept aggin me on! and im not one to back down from a challenge! Shes not happy with me right now LOL

#4 ·
Sometimes, you have to put other cars in their place. I enjoying doing to to Panamera S or 911S Porsches. Turbo is another matter, but its close. Oh, S4's too…..fun to kill them. Only Audi I would be concerned with is a RS7…..those things sound wicked.

#9 ·
I think a good rule is to not race with no-consent passengers and children in the car. That's the kind of thing you expect from a mustang owner with a need to feel special (like the other 48,000 mustangs on the road).

Sometimes bad things happen even to the most skilled of drivers, which is why drag strips require helmets, etc. So although you were having a little fun because you don't want to back down from the challenge of a total stranger... in a way, you were purposefully endangering your wife and child.

So yeah, you have to make your own decisions - but my wife would be equally pissed off; and in my opinion rightfully so as I'd be ticked if she showed poor judgement with child. I save the fun stuff for when I'm driving solo: it's what responsible parents do.

Your mileage may vary. :)

#12 ·
a carrera 4s pulled up beside me the other day, starts reving his engine to entice. Are we at a point where general public knows we have serious firepower under the hood, because i see more and more high end car guys trying to race me instead of the typical civic with a hood scoop. Oh yeah and S4 owners hate V's, i get the hate stare everytime a s4 pulls along side.

#14 ·
What's done is done, but I'd try and rethink your decision so that if a similar opportunity presents itself again, you consider the example that is set for your son when he sees you choose to get involved in a race on a public road. You realize (as you say) that it was a stupid thing to do... so then make the first priority to set a good example for your son rather than not backing down from a challenge. Kids are so-o-o impressionable and they do look up to their parents.

Best regards,

Elie

#18 ·
Absolutely I realize its not the safest thing Ive done but my son is 18 and I hope to God it made an impression!!!!!!! compared to the other stuff he has/can get into these days as teenager! BTW I don't think I ever got over 90. Now show me a V owner that hasnt been over 90 on the highway and ill show u a liar, enough wit the goody goody!

#17 ·
I've had numerous kids with their ricers stare at my car. I barely acknowledge them. Now that the V has been around many years most know about it's performance. I think most know they are going to get beat....they just wonder how bad?

#19 ·
When I was a kid a friend had a brother that had a 66 Shelby mustang and I clearly remember riding in it and the thrill of beating another car. So I resolved some day to own a fast car too. And now I do. So yes it makes impressions! Good ones!

#22 · (Edited)
When I'm on a 2 lane highway, I like to go around slow cars fairly quickly. Downshifting from 6th to 4th is usually sufficient for that, but probably scares the locals. My chief concern is keeping my eyes glued to the road to watch for someone far ahead pulling out of a side road without looking. I don't watch the speedometer when going around the slow car and suspect that I have been well into the triple digits on several occasions as I return to the right lane. Is that irresponsible? Maybe, it depends on the conditions, but I wouldn't try that in a car that doesn't have the power, brakes and handling of the V.

#26 ·
Not going to be a popular reply, but here goes.

People tend to race cars that they feel they stand a chance of beating. No one wants to race and lose.

The CTS V is a very beatable car by a lot of other cars out there. And no matter how bad ass your car is, there is someone out there quicker and faster.

For the 5 years I had my Cobra I only had three people try to race me, and one of them was a CTS V. A little over half throttle was enough to keep him behind me.

#28 ·
Not going to be a popular reply, but here goes.

People tend to race cars that they feel they stand a chance of beating. No one wants to race and lose.

The CTS V is a very beatable car by a lot of other cars out there. And no matter how bad ass your car is, there is someone out there quicker and faster.

For the 5 years I had my Cobra I only had three people try to race me, and one of them was a CTS V. A little over half throttle was enough to keep him behind me.
Cobras are slow. Your comment was complete horse poo. Haven't met a modified cobra that didn't get a great look at my tail lights.

Yea there is always someone faster. But rarely is it a cobra that took the day. Im more worried about Porsche, Ferrari and the occasional modded Corvette.

----------

Ya and can you imagine the feeling if you got stopped by a cop street racing with your wife and your kid in the car? It's a pretty serious offense in most states and you can even loose your license, not worth it, too easy to get caught as especially with a car with over 500 hp it's pretty darn obvious you were racing. On the other hand I race my VW TDI all the time and nobody even knows I'm racing :).
And your comments are usually poo.

----------

But I appreciate the comedy.

#31 · (Edited)
#33 ·
Well Caveman, let's see if we can educate you a little.

It was not a "kit car", nor was it an original.

Kit cars are from manufactures like Factory Five, Hurricane, Everett-Morrison, and ERA to name a few.

Then you have replica manufactures like Kirkham, Backdraft and Superformance. Mine was a Superformance. It was built in a factory and shipped to the US as a roller where the engine and transmission was installed, not unlike the original. They have a quality control system in place and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the quality of the finish was light years beyond the CTS V. Also, Superformance is the only replica that was authorized by Shelby before he died. The parent company of Superformance is Hi-Tech which is the same company that manufactures the Shelby Cobra continuation series of cars.

Also the Kirkham replica is so true to the original that it's allowed to be entered into the Shelby Registry along with the originals.

The 2.8 - 2.9 second runs were not pulled out of my ass, but were from the G-Tech Pro that I had and I ran it more than a few times so those are not one off numbers.

This link is not to my car, but I would not have been far off of his times as I had a little more power, but I was also carrying about 350 extra pounds. Hopefully the link works, because I suck at computers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bHvpCvxDf8

No, I never ran mine in the 1/4 mile because I did not want to go to all the crap that would be required to run an open top car under 11 seconds.

So you can go retrieve your BS flag and hang it up again and save it for another day.

----------

Sorry, I forgot to mention one item.

Yes, you are correct that in regard to top speed the V may indeed be faster. The Cobra is basically a brick and hits a wall in the 140-145 range. They can be pushed much higher, but I sure would not do it.

And here is a short clip of my car and at the beginning there is a short little burst from 5 to 60. Generally 5 to 60 times are not as fast as the 0 -60 times, but it still gives you an idea. And this is before I went with the manual secondary, 660CFM carbs. It picked up a few HP when I made that change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7uiKk6frEI

#35 ·
Well Caveman, let's see if we can educate you a little.

It was not a "kit car", nor was it an original.

Kit cars are from manufactures like Factory Five, Hurricane, Everett-Morrison, and ERA to name a few.

Then you have replica manufactures like Kirkham, Backdraft and Superformance. Mine was a Superformance. It was built in a factory and shipped to the US as a roller where the engine and transmission was installed, not unlike the original. They have a quality control system in place and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the quality of the finish was light years beyond the CTS V. Also, Superformance is the only replica that was authorized by Shelby before he died. The parent company of Superformance is Hi-Tech which is the same company that manufactures the Shelby Cobra continuation series of cars.

Also the Kirkham replica is so true to the original that it's allowed to be entered into the Shelby Registry along with the originals.

The 2.8 - 2.9 second runs were not pulled out of my ass, but were from the G-Tech Pro that I had and I ran it more than a few times so those are not one off numbers.

This link is not to my car, but I would not have been far off of his times as I had a little more power, but I was also carrying about 350 extra pounds. Hopefully the link works, because I suck at computers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bHvpCvxDf8

No, I never ran mine in the 1/4 mile because I did not want to go to all the crap that would be required to run an open top car under 11 seconds.

So you can go retrieve your BS flag and hang it up again and save it for another day.

----------

Sorry, I forgot to mention one item.

Yes, you are correct that in regard to top speed the V may indeed be faster. The Cobra is basically a brick and hits a wall in the 140-145 range. They can be pushed much higher, but I sure would not do it.

And here is a short clip of my car and at the beginning there is a short little burst from 5 to 60. Generally 5 to 60 times are not as fast as the 0 -60 times, but it still gives you an idea. And this is before I went with the manual secondary, 660CFM carbs. It picked up a few HP when I made that change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7uiKk6frEI
You have got to be kidding me man. You are going sit on here and argue that your replica is a Shelby?! Well I guess you proved my point in your attempt to school me. I guess ill never get my B.S. flag back after all.

Nice REPLICA though. Let me know when you want to reference an actual Shelby. Dont try to fool people man. And dont lie about your nicely put together KIT CAR. Dont care how awsome or great the standards you reference. .. still not a Shelby.

Your re-creation (in your words replica) may be very quick. So are Ford Pintos. If you want to create anything you want out of them. So two points here. First point is that your car is not and never will be a Shelby.
Second point is if I see a car like yours hell yeah I would challenge it cause my chances would very good against one. Most of those things are made with old mustang parts that dont live up to the actual Shelby performance and a rare few of them are actual Shelbys that 0-60 in 3.8 and top out at 140mph.

Its great your car has great performance and that it could beat a stock V. But there is not an actual Shelby out there that can beat a stock V. So your original point of no one would want to race you cause they would lose is invalid. If the other person knew anything about a classic original Shelby they would be in awe of it but not afraid of it.

You tried and failed to school me. Consider yourself Lawyered.

#39 ·
As a (former) motorcyclist with around 300,000 miles in the saddle, I have to take exception to your reference to "laying it down". There is a word for that. It's called crashing. In my opinion, and that of the overwhelming majority of very experienced riders I know, there is no reason to ever crash intentionally. It is always safer to stay with the bike. Tires have a lot more traction for turning or stopping than leather/cloth/skin. And in the worst case, front suspensions provide some crushable space to help slow the body down before impact. Three times in my riding experience I was thrown mostly or completely over cars that pulled out in front of me. If I'd "laid it down" I would have slid into/under their wheels. I'll take a long slide on asphalt over smacking the side of a car's wheel any day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.