Highway Driving - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Highway Driving in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by Silverback Not a Mustang Cobra gentlemen. The 0 to 60 time was in the 2.8 -2.9 second ...
    vfaninva is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    Not a Mustang Cobra gentlemen.

The 0 to 60 time was in the 2.8 -2.9 second range.
    You could have said Shelby Cobra and not just Cobra. Or maybe you just wanted see if anyone would bite.

I'll bet there are some V owners here that would consider your Cobra "very beatable" too.

Just sayin'

CavemanB52 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV coupe

OMG. My B.S. Flag just went up the pole ripped off and flew away. You owe me a new flag sir.

First of all your "Shelby" would not have sacred me off. Typical 0-60 times are about 3.8 seconds not 2.8. And your top speed is well south of a V. I won't embarrass you of that actual #. And it would be an awsome race in the 1/4 due to the fact a typical "Shelby" will do it in about 12 flat @120. Very similar to a V.

If your car does anything more than that than its not a "Shelby". Its a Kit Car. If it is a true "Shelby" and you are modifying it. Shame on you.

BTW I know modifying changes the argument. But... my V is 0-60 in about 3.5 and a quarter in 11.2 @126. Not the fastest V or car out there but faster than whatever that blue thing is in your picture. Not sure cause its one of the most counterfeit cars out there. Even Carol tried to do it and got caught.

Silverback is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Re: Highway Driving

Well Caveman, let's see if we can educate you a little.

It was not a "kit car", nor was it an original.

Kit cars are from manufactures like Factory Five, Hurricane, Everett-Morrison, and ERA to name a few.

Then you have replica manufactures like Kirkham, Backdraft and Superformance. Mine was a Superformance. It was built in a factory and shipped to the US as a roller where the engine and transmission was installed, not unlike the original. They have a quality control system in place and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the quality of the finish was light years beyond the CTS V. Also, Superformance is the only replica that was authorized by Shelby before he died. The parent company of Superformance is Hi-Tech which is the same company that manufactures the Shelby Cobra continuation series of cars.

Also the Kirkham replica is so true to the original that it's allowed to be entered into the Shelby Registry along with the originals.

The 2.8 - 2.9 second runs were not pulled out of my ass, but were from the G-Tech Pro that I had and I ran it more than a few times so those are not one off numbers.

This link is not to my car, but I would not have been far off of his times as I had a little more power, but I was also carrying about 350 extra pounds. Hopefully the link works, because I suck at computers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bHvpCvxDf8

No, I never ran mine in the 1/4 mile because I did not want to go to all the crap that would be required to run an open top car under 11 seconds.

So you can go retrieve your BS flag and hang it up again and save it for another day.

----------

Sorry, I forgot to mention one item.

Yes, you are correct that in regard to top speed the V may indeed be faster. The Cobra is basically a brick and hits a wall in the 140-145 range. They can be pushed much higher, but I sure would not do it.

And here is a short clip of my car and at the beginning there is a short little burst from 5 to 60. Generally 5 to 60 times are not as fast as the 0 -60 times, but it still gives you an idea. And this is before I went with the manual secondary, 660CFM carbs. It picked up a few HP when I made that change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7uiKk6frEI

vfaninva is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    Yep, he was fishin' so he could show off his worm.

Well Caveman, let's see if we can educate you a little.

It was not a "kit car", nor was it an original.

Kit cars are from manufactures like Factory Five, Hurricane, Everett-Morrison, and ERA to name a few.

Then you have replica manufactures like Kirkham, Backdraft and Superformance. Mine was a Superformance. It was built in a factory and shipped to the US as a roller where the engine and transmission was installed, not unlike the original. They have a quality control system in place and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the quality of the finish was light years beyond the CTS V. Also, Superformance is the only replica that was authorized by Shelby before he died. The parent company of Superformance is Hi-Tech which is the same company that manufactures the Shelby Cobra continuation series of cars.

Also the Kirkham replica is so true to the original that it's allowed to be entered into the Shelby Registry along with the originals.

The 2.8 - 2.9 second runs were not pulled out of my ass, but were from the G-Tech Pro that I had and I ran it more than a few times so those are not one off numbers.

This link is not to my car, but I would not have been far off of his times as I had a little more power, but I was also carrying about 350 extra pounds. Hopefully the link works, because I suck at computers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bHvpCvxDf8

No, I never ran mine in the 1/4 mile because I did not want to go to all the crap that would be required to run an open top car under 11 seconds.

So you can go retrieve your BS flag and hang it up again and save it for another day.

----------

Sorry, I forgot to mention one item.

Yes, you are correct that in regard to top speed the V may indeed be faster. The Cobra is basically a brick and hits a wall in the 140-145 range. They can be pushed much higher, but I sure would not do it.

And here is a short clip of my car and at the beginning there is a short little burst from 5 to 60. Generally 5 to 60 times are not as fast as the 0 -60 times, but it still gives you an idea. And this is before I went with the manual secondary, 660CFM carbs. It picked up a few HP when I made that change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7uiKk6frEI
    You have got to be kidding me man. You are going sit on here and argue that your replica is a Shelby?! Well I guess you proved my point in your attempt to school me. I guess ill never get my B.S. flag back after all.

Nice REPLICA though. Let me know when you want to reference an actual Shelby. Dont try to fool people man. And dont lie about your nicely put together KIT CAR. Dont care how awsome or great the standards you reference. .. still not a Shelby.

Your re-creation (in your words replica) may be very quick. So are Ford Pintos. If you want to create anything you want out of them. So two points here. First point is that your car is not and never will be a Shelby.
    Second point is if I see a car like yours hell yeah I would challenge it cause my chances would very good against one. Most of those things are made with old mustang parts that dont live up to the actual Shelby performance and a rare few of them are actual Shelbys that 0-60 in 3.8 and top out at 140mph.

Its great your car has great performance and that it could beat a stock V. But there is not an actual Shelby out there that can beat a stock V. So your original point of no one would want to race you cause they would lose is invalid. If the other person knew anything about a classic original Shelby they would be in awe of it but not afraid of it.

You tried and failed to school me. Consider yourself Lawyered.

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Beautiful car, whether it's a kit car, original, continuation or recreation, no matter. Still a beautiful machine. People that know I'm a car nut and track junkie ask me all the time, "why don't you own a kit car or race bike of some sort? Why buy these sport sedans and mod them?" I always answer that I love speed, but I love safe speed. I like the idea of me and my passengers being surrounded by 8 air bags and a steel safety cage. I would never feel safe in any Cobra, open cockpit, with a lap belt or even a 6 pt. harness for that matter. I'd never be able to truly enjoy it. Beautiful car though.

Quote Originally Posted by CavemanB52 View Post
    You have got to be kidding me man. You are going sit on here and argue that your replica is a Shelby?! Well I guess you proved my point in your attempt to school me. I guess ill never get my B.S. flag back after all.

Nice REPLICA though. Let me know when you want to reference an actual Shelby. Dont try to fool people man. And dont lie about your nicely put together KIT CAR. Dont care how awsome or great the standards you reference. .. still not a Shelby.

Your re-creation (in your words replica) may be very quick. So are Ford Pintos. If you want to create anything you want out of them. So two points here. First point is that your car is not and never will be a Shelby.
    Second point is if I see a car like yours hell yeah I would challenge it cause my chances would very good against one. Most of those things are made with old mustang parts that dont live up to the actual Shelby performance and a rare few of them are actual Shelbys that 0-60 in 3.8 and top out at 140mph.

Its great your car has great performance and that it could beat a stock V. But there is not an actual Shelby out there that can beat a stock V. So your original point of no one would want to race you cause they would lose is invalid. If the other person knew anything about a classic original Shelby they would be in awe of it but not afraid of it.

You tried and failed to school me. Consider yourself Lawyered.
    I sure hope you are not a lawyer, as you do not appear to be very good at facts.

No where did I claim it was an original. In fact that was the second statement I pointed out in my first response, that it was not an original.

And all the time I owned it, I never once claimed it was an original. That was an assumption on your part and not true.

At one time the statement that the kits used old Mustang parts was a true statement. For the most part that is no longer true. Factory Five has that as an option, but they can also sell you new custom built parts so you do not have to use the Mustang parts.

I cannot remember if it was two or three years ago that an original Shelby AC Cobra showed up at the Optima Battery Challenge and so dominated the field that he was asked to not return the next year as is the current custom of returning to defend your title. Now I grant you it was a highly modified original, but it was still a 40+ year old car that spanked every other car out there in all of the performance contests. He came in last if I remember correctly in the appearance contest.

Hope you have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by CVP33 View Post
    Beautiful car, whether it's a kit car, original, continuation or recreation, no matter. Still a beautiful machine. People that know I'm a car nut and track junkie ask me all the time, "why don't you own a kit car or race bike of some sort? Why buy these sport sedans and mod them?" I always answer that I love speed, but I love safe speed. I like the idea of me and my passengers being surrounded by 8 air bags and a steel safety cage. I would never feel safe in any Cobra, open cockpit, with a lap belt or even a 6 pt. harness for that matter. I'd never be able to truly enjoy it. Beautiful car though.
    You are absolutely correct. They are dangerous cars. They have no safety features like air bags, ABS, traction control, stability control, side impact protection, or anything like that. They are as basic as a vehicle can be. The Cobra is a car that you have to respect or it can kill you in a heartbeat. It's lightweight, generally high HP and a short wheel base. But there is no greater feeling than being on the edge, knowing it, and keeping it in control.

We had discussions on the Cobra forums as to whether they are safer than a motorcycle. Personally I believe a motorcycle is safer. With a motorcycle you have the option (if you have the reaction time) of laying it down and getting away from it. No such option in a Cobra.

jonmarchant is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS-V Wagon 6M
    As a (former) motorcyclist with around 300,000 miles in the saddle, I have to take exception to your reference to "laying it down". There is a word for that. It's called crashing. In my opinion, and that of the overwhelming majority of very experienced riders I know, there is no reason to ever crash intentionally. It is always safer to stay with the bike. Tires have a lot more traction for turning or stopping than leather/cloth/skin. And in the worst case, front suspensions provide some crushable space to help slow the body down before impact. Three times in my riding experience I was thrown mostly or completely over cars that pulled out in front of me. If I'd "laid it down" I would have slid into/under their wheels. I'll take a long slide on asphalt over smacking the side of a car's wheel any day.

DCV
    DCV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV bone stock

I agree, with over 400k miles ridden and being a licensed racer
    you don't just lay down a motorcycle and walk away. That's only in the movies where they use cables and thng to get a bke to lay down. Try that on a modern sportbike and you will get a high side ejection to the next state...... I've done it.

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels

Quote Originally Posted by jonmarchant View Post
    As a (former) motorcyclist with around 300,000 miles in the saddle, I have to take exception to your reference to "laying it down". There is a word for that. It's called crashing. In my opinion, and that of the overwhelming majority of very experienced riders I know, there is no reason to ever crash intentionally. It is always safer to stay with the bike. Tires have a lot more traction for turning or stopping than leather/cloth/skin. And in the worst case, front suspensions provide some crushable space to help slow the body down before impact. Three times in my riding experience I was thrown mostly or completely over cars that pulled out in front of me. If I'd "laid it down" I would have slid into/under their wheels. I'll take a long slide on asphalt over smacking the side of a car's wheel any day.
    LOL, agree. If I had to hit a brick wall in a Cobra replica or on a motorcycle, I'd pick the Cobra replica.

Unless of course you were wearing one of these!:

I sure hope you are not a lawyer, as you do not appear to be very good at facts.

No where did I claim it was an original. In fact that was the second statement I pointed out in my first response, that it was not an original.

And all the time I owned it, I never once claimed it was an original. That was an assumption on your part and not true.

At one time the statement that the kits used old Mustang parts was a true statement. For the most part that is no longer true. Factory Five has that as an option, but they can also sell you new custom built parts so you do not have to use the Mustang parts.

I cannot remember if it was two or three years ago that an original Shelby AC Cobra showed up at the Optima Battery Challenge and so dominated the field that he was asked to not return the next year as is the current custom of returning to defend your title. Now I grant you it was a highly modified original, but it was still a 40+ year old car that spanked every other car out there in all of the performance contests. He came in last if I remember correctly in the appearance contest.

Hope you have a nice day.
    Your first response. ... which is your second statement trying to back peddle the fact you mis represented the fact you had a Shelby Cobra. First you called it a Cobra which most thought you were talking about a Mustang Cobra. Yes you did not state it was an original. .. you just misrepresented/insinuated that it was a COBRA! Which is not. It does not have the performance of a Cobra. It has the performance of a KIT. Then you clarified with a LIE and said you were talking about a Cobra which is actually a REPLICA! You have no idea what a fact is... clearly cause you think your replica is an actaul Cobra just beacause its built well. Face it you're misrepresenting a KIT CAR as a Cobra. And your original reason/statement of no one wanting to race you cause the mere sight of you car scared them off is still INVALID. The real Cobra which is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars has similar yet slightly limited performace compared to the V. Yours is a FAKE. So why would I think of a car that looks like a Cobra but has the performance of YOUR personal KIT car would be faster than what its body style represents? Makes no sense. Thus, you make no sense.

BTW im not a lawyer. Im someone who is honest and has common sense. Which is hard to come by in America today. Still consider yourself lawyered with the facts and the statements written by YOU in this thread. Please go back and read again if you dont believe me.

Pilot Maj. USAF

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Jonmarchant and DCV for the "Iron Asses" award. Damn! Good stuff, guys.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    The longer the post the more it's insignificant. What do you guys think?
    Jud

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

You are absolutely correct. They are dangerous cars. They have no safety features like air bags, ABS, traction control, stability control, side impact protection, or anything like that. They are as basic as a vehicle can be. The Cobra is a car that you have to respect or it can kill you in a heartbeat. It's lightweight, generally high HP and a short wheel base. But there is no greater feeling than being on the edge, knowing it, and keeping it in control.

We had discussions on the Cobra forums as to whether they are safer than a motorcycle. Personally I believe a motorcycle is safer. With a motorcycle you have the option (if you have the reaction time) of laying it down and getting away from it. No such option in a Cobra.
    Right on with this post. I recently got a 1968 GTO with a built big block and nothing like the raw uncontrolled power of this car, I'd estimate its at least 700 hp and no electronic nannys or anything of the sort just the car and you on the road and If you screw up there is no mercy. I had the car sideways at 80 mph yesterday power sliding with smoke coming off the tires, oh what a great feeling.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.