Highway Driving - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Highway Driving in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I have just the opposite happen, when someone comes up on me racing thru traffic then they hear my car ...
    rgp6373 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 cts-v
    I have just the opposite happen, when someone comes up on me racing thru traffic then they hear my car and they disappear back into traffic lol
    A lumpy cam and cutouts with no cats does make a statement. Haha
    Derkyb likes this.

MRANT212 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 15 Escalade ESV, 12 CTS-V sedan 08 SS,88Corvette,71Corvette

Re: Highway Driving

I've had numerous kids with their ricers stare at my car. I barely acknowledge them. Now that the V has been around many years most know about it's performance. I think most know they are going to get beat....they just wonder how bad?

Derkyb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS V

Quote Originally Posted by garfin View Post
    What's done is done, but I'd try and rethink your decision so that if a similar opportunity presents itself again, you consider the example that is set for your son when he sees you choose to get involved in a race on a public road. You realize (as you say) that it was a stupid thing to do... so then make the first priority to set a good example for your son rather than not backing down from a challenge. Kids are so-o-o impressionable and they do look up to their parents.

Best regards,

Elie
    Absolutely I realize its not the safest thing Ive done but my son is 18 and I hope to God it made an impression!!!!!!! compared to the other stuff he has/can get into these days as teenager! BTW I don't think I ever got over 90. Now show me a V owner that hasnt been over 90 on the highway and ill show u a liar, enough wit the goody goody!

DCV
    DCV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV bone stock

When I was a kid a friend had a brother that had a 66 Shelby mustang and I clearly remember riding in it and the thrill of beating another car. So I resolved some day to own a fast car too. And now I do. So yes it makes impressions! Good ones!

garfin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;

What's done is done, but I'd try and rethink your decision so that if a similar opportunity presents itself again, you consider the example that is set for your son when he sees you choose to get involved in a race on a public road. You realize (as you say) that it was a stupid thing to do... so then make the first priority to set a good example for your son rather than not backing down from a challenge. Kids are so-o-o impressionable and they do look up to their parents.

Best regards,

Elie
    Quote Originally Posted by Derkyb View Post
    Absolutely I realize its not the safest thing Ive done but my son is 18 and I hope to God it made an impression!!!!!!! compared to the other stuff he has/can get into these days as teenager! BTW I don't think I ever got over 90. Now show me a V owner that hasnt been over 90 on the highway and ill show u a liar, enough wit the goody goody!
    Just think about the impression that you'd make on your 18 year-old son and what he'd be able to take away from the experience if you invited him to join you in a track school for a day or a weekend. Just a suggestion to consider... it sounds like he's into cars like my son is and I couldn't recommend a better experience to share with your enthusiast son. Doing that with my kid taught him about the respect these cars deserve and it was one of the most enjoyable bonding experiences we've had as father and son!
    One of the benefits of the V that I hadn't considered was being able to sit in the back seat while my son piloted the V around Mosport with the instructor in the shotgun seat! A day neither of us will ever forget!

Best regards,

Elie

CavemanB52 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV coupe

Just think about the impression that you'd make on your 18 year-old son and what he'd be able to take away from the experience if you invited him to join you in a track school for a day or a weekend. Just a suggestion to consider... it sounds like he's into cars like my son is and I couldn't recommend a better experience to share with your enthusiast son. Doing that with my kid taught him about the respect these cars deserve and it was one of the most enjoyable bonding experiences we've had as father and son!
    One of the benefits of the V that I hadn't considered was being able to sit in the back seat while my son piloted the V around Mosport with the instructor in the shotgun seat! A day neither of us will ever forget!

Best regards,

Elie
    Yes Yes Elie. Uncle with the goody goody stuff. But harmless acceleration to 90 or god forbid 100 is hardly crazy when this machine will still stop in a distance thats perfectly safe. The average shite box out there according to the DOT is 230ft from 60mph. The V can more than beat that from 100. So is it really that unsafe? And as far as impressionable children.... hell i need another parent telling me what my children can or cant see like I need my taxes to go up so some government bureaucrat douche can spend my money better than me. Right.

How about this: Drive the car. Keep it safe cause life is too short. You might die of a heart attack tomorrow so drive hard while you still can. Driving schools and track time will make you safer and teach you the limits of your car. Glad you won the race man.

Appreciate your opinion Elie. Sarcasm intended.

JFJr is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    When I'm on a 2 lane highway, I like to go around slow cars fairly quickly. Downshifting from 6th to 4th is usually sufficient for that, but probably scares the locals. My chief concern is keeping my eyes glued to the road to watch for someone far ahead pulling out of a side road without looking. I don't watch the speedometer when going around the slow car and suspect that I have been well into the triple digits on several occasions as I return to the right lane. Is that irresponsible? Maybe, it depends on the conditions, but I wouldn't try that in a car that doesn't have the power, brakes and handling of the V.
    nsaness likes this.
    Jud

Quote Originally Posted by JFJr View Post
    When I'm on a 2 lane highway, I like to go around slow cars fairly quickly. Downshifting from 6th to 4th is usually sufficient for that, but probably scares the locals. My chief concern is keeping my eyes glued to the road to watch for someone far ahead pulling out of a side road without looking. I don't watch the speedometer when going around the slow car and suspect that I have been well into the triple digits on several occasions as I return to the right lane. Is that irresponsible? Maybe, it depends on the conditions, but I wouldn't try that in a car that doesn't have the power, brakes and handling of the V.
    Well said.

Mr. Hyde is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Coupe

For the years I owned my C6 Z06, I never and I mean never, had a person challenge me. Now I get it all the time. Everything from Subies to the above mentioned Audi's want a piece of me.
    I plead the 5th as to whether or not I answer the call to battle.

garfin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;

Quote Originally Posted by JFJr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CavemanB52 View Post
    Well said.
    Absolutely the way to do it. I live out in the country and most of the roads here are single lane each way with an 80 kph speed limit. Lots of trucks too. I deal with this scenario almost every day. AFAIC, the 90% of the responsibility lies with the driver of the passing car to complete the passing manoeuver as quickly as possible. 10% lies with the vehicle being passed to slow down if possible to lessen the exposure of the passing driver in the wrong lane. The less time spent driving on the wrong side of the road when passing, the safer it is... and you're perfectly right about someone pulling out from a side road (or driveway)! This is my main worry as well. 99% of the people pulling out only look to see if there's traffic coming in the lane they're pulling into and don't bother checking for traffic coming from the other direction in the same lane (where someone could be passing!). I learned that lesson when I was very young and lived to tell about it! Definitely a great sense of security in the V pulling out to pass somebody and one of the reasons I bought the car!

Best regards,

Elie

Silverback is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Not going to be a popular reply, but here goes.

People tend to race cars that they feel they stand a chance of beating. No one wants to race and lose.

The CTS V is a very beatable car by a lot of other cars out there. And no matter how bad ass your car is, there is someone out there quicker and faster.

For the 5 years I had my Cobra I only had three people try to race me, and one of them was a CTS V. A little over half throttle was enough to keep him behind me.

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

Ya and can you imagine the feeling if you got stopped by a cop street racing with your wife and your kid in the car? It's a pretty serious offense in most states and you can even loose your license, not worth it, too easy to get caught as especially with a car with over 500 hp it's pretty darn obvious you were racing. On the other hand I race my VW TDI all the time and nobody even knows I'm racing .

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    Not going to be a popular reply, but here goes.

People tend to race cars that they feel they stand a chance of beating. No one wants to race and lose.

The CTS V is a very beatable car by a lot of other cars out there. And no matter how bad ass your car is, there is someone out there quicker and faster.

For the 5 years I had my Cobra I only had three people try to race me, and one of them was a CTS V. A little over half throttle was enough to keep him behind me.
    Cobras are slow. Your comment was complete horse poo. Haven't met a modified cobra that didn't get a great look at my tail lights.

Yea there is always someone faster. But rarely is it a cobra that took the day. Im more worried about Porsche, Ferrari and the occasional modded Corvette.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 1997BlackETC View Post
    Ya and can you imagine the feeling if you got stopped by a cop street racing with your wife and your kid in the car? It's a pretty serious offense in most states and you can even loose your license, not worth it, too easy to get caught as especially with a car with over 500 hp it's pretty darn obvious you were racing. On the other hand I race my VW TDI all the time and nobody even knows I'm racing .
    And your comments are usually poo.

----------

But I appreciate the comedy.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Cobra? bwahahahahahahahahahaha
    CVP33 and DCV like this.

Silverback is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Not a Mustang Cobra gentlemen.

The 0 to 60 time was in the 2.8 -2.9 second range.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.