Wheel, Tire input wanted
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Wheel, Tire input wanted in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; ...
    jimbo1320 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 2010

Wheel, Tire input wanted

I have added 80 or so hp to my V and now have a traction problem. The 285s are not getting the job done so I was looking at my options for a wider tire. I would like some input on tire size and rim width. The options are to put 295x30-19 or possibly 305/30-19 on the rear of my sedan. Question is, has anyone had a problem installing those size tires on 9.5 rims. Charts Ive seen suggest I would need to go to a 10 rim for a proper fit on the 295s or 10.5 rims for the 305s. Would those sizes be difficult to mount, or have sidewall bulge if used on a 9.5 rim? Has anyone put the 10 rims off a coupe on a sedan? Doing so, I was told the wheel well would have to be cut to prevent bottoming out. Ive seen pictures in this forum of larger tires mounted on the rear of V sedans but am not sure if any problems have occurred or what the rim size was used.
    Input suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CTSV2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    I currently have 275 and 305(ps2) on my stock 09 wheels. They fit fine but I don't see any improvement in traction. Maybe a bigger sized wheel would be more beneficial. Hopefully somebody with more knowledge can shed some light.

HWIRLL is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I just bought a new set of Ps2 tires but would have rather gotten the "Pilot Super Sports". I read several reviews and they're a stickier tire than the Ps2s so the provide better hole shots and cornering capability. Go to tirerack.com pro the best deal. They have a month wait I believe but we'll worth it. I'll be wearing these Ps2s out quick just so I can move to those..haha

----------

And really on the Ps2s I don't have traction issues and I'm pushing 510whp after a CAI & tune.

Re: Wheel, Tire input wanted

The 305's are one inch wider so maybe the wider rims plant more on the road. If nothing else they look better. Thanks for the input.

----------

The Super Sports have a tread ware rating of 300 the PS2's 220. I thought the lower number indicated a stickier tire. I changed the lower pully so maybe the extra boost is the reason for traction loss.

Not sure about the numbers but every review show the super sports being a stickier tire. There also some YouTube videos about them. With the month waiting list they must be pretty good if everybody's switching to them. I'm wanting to do a pulley upgrade here soon with headers & corsa exhaust. How do you like the pulley upgrade?

rsutton1223 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V

The PSS's are a superior tire if you are looking for something that is DD'able. They are great in wet...the tire wear is awesome for the grip and they are much better than the PS2's overall. They aren't cheap but they are worth it. I have driven them on everything from my previous cars to 1200whp+ GT-R's. Best all around tire you can buy unless you have to worry about snow.

I like the pully upgrade alot. I went with one size larger bottom pully (about 2-3lb boost). mega torque. Really likes cold weather though (50 degrees). Funnn! I am concidering Super sports. They are $150 ea. less than the ps2 at tire rack. Am I looking at the wrong tire?

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1320
    I thought the lower number indicated a stickier tire.
    Correct.

emperors6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V A6 Black Diamond Sedan

I thought tread wear is a separate concept from stickiness of the tire. It's just that usually the the stickier the tire the faster it wears, all other things being equal. However, I'm sure you can design a stickier tire that wears better since you're changing multiple properties when trying to change the stickiness.

dmax/04v is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): A VEEE

The 220 number and the 300 number are tire wear indications. Usually this coincides with traction, but that is not always the case. That said there are 94 other things that can affect traction and grip.
    Luna. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1320
    I like the pully upgrade alot. I went with one size larger bottom pully (about 2-3lb boost). mega torque. Really likes cold weather though (50 degrees). Funnn! I am concidering Super sports. They are $150 ea. less than the ps2 at tire rack. Am I looking at the wrong tire?
    Nope that them..what's the wait time?

----------

What's the specs on your pulley? I plan to get it done soon but not sure of my options or what to go with really at this point. Also, I think getting the SS tires will be a great option considering everything I've read. Can't wait to get them myself. All I need to do is burn these new ps2s off real quick..lol

The parts came from Metco. The ring for the balancer is 8.6" good for 2-3lbs increase in boost. I choose that set up so I could go to a larger ring in the future or change the upper pully later as a option. The tune and trinity was purchased from diablewtune.com. I did the job myself but it was a handful. I could do it a second time with less stress thought. I put a larger heat exchanger at the same time. Good luck!

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapspeed View Post

Correct.
    Not correct. There is a lot of science involved with compounds. It's possible to have better wear AND be stickier...

CavemanB52 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV coupe
    Ive used both the PS2 and SS. With the extra HP. SS may be better but I dont think they are good enough. For 550whp+ IMO you need a wider rim to stay with street tires... or get use to drag radials.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho
    Not correct. There is a lot of science involved with compounds. It's possible to have better wear AND be stickier...
    For the non-scientists, most general car people equate a lower tread wear number to a sticker tire. It's easier than trying to explain the sciences everytime. Even you can't disagree with that. Hell, if every discussion turned to sciences we'd get nothing done.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.