Hello From a new Vagon owner!
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
Like Tree2Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Hello From a new Vagon owner! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; First off thanks for the wealth of info on this board. There are many helpful items on her for the ...
  1. #1
    moarofthis's Avatar
    moarofthis is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Have Vagon
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    16

    Hello From a new Vagon owner!

    First off thanks for the wealth of info on this board. There are many helpful items on her for the prospective owner and enthusiast alike. I have been lurking for a while doing research and scaring myself a little bit.

    On Monday I picked up a Phantom Gray 6spd manual with Recaros, Sunroof, red calipers and cross bars. This car is a blast to drive, I am not sure how Cadillac nailed the dynamics so well on a car that weighs so much. Coming from a slew of German cars over the last decade this has to be the most surprising aspect of this car. Body control is excellent, the ride is still compliant and the steering feels like it should... Kind of like what made BMW the standard for good steering feel and feedback.

    Likes-
    1. Driving Dynamics/handling
    2. Power
    3. room
    4. Quiet, yet powerful sound from the exhaust (too quiet, but kids and wife will hold me off from exhaust for now)
    5. Braking feel and power

    Dislikes-
    1. Cabin is nice and well laid out, but as i have heard others on here say... They only got it 3/4's done and called it a day.
    2. Odd resonance around 3750rpm to 4500 or so. I was told this is normal, but it reminds me of an infinity G35 and makes the car feel a bit agricultural. Maybe you folks can ease my fears and let me know if this is normal or they are just blowing wind up my skirt. The car literally has a low buzz, especially when decelerating in gear at this rpm range, i can feel it in the seat. The rest of the range is smooth and glorious.
    3. Clutch chatter, Having read about it on here it was an expected nuisance. I am having to really alter my normal driving behavior to avoid that gnarly chatter.

    My dislikes are more like quibbles as the car on a whole is very very good. My last vehicle, 2013 Audi S6, has the best interior of any car I have been in. Comfortable, well laid out, high tech... soulless. Talk about a quiet motor... makes the caddy seem like it has open headers in comparison. I also think that this transition weighs on my critical assertion of the Cadillac interior. Not a fair fight.

    This is a fun car to drive, immensely fun to drive.

    Anyway... Thanks for the info and helping me select this car. Really looking forward to many miles in this car. I feel an emotional connection to this car already, something I could not develop with my last Audi in a little over a year of ownership.

    I cannot post pics for some reason... so here is the link... to a crappy cell phone pic http://www.flickr.com/photos/64725726@N05/12000120736/


    Regards,

    Michael

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    vfaninva is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Age
    50
    Posts
    802
    Beautiful car. Looks almost like Thunder Gray in that light. Welcome aboard!

  4. #3
    V-Horse's Avatar
    V-Horse is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    176

    Re: Hello From a new Vagon owner!

    Forgive me for I just saw a very disturbing clip someone had posted on this forum about a guy making love to his car and now to some dude with wind up his skirt posting a pic, needless to say I will not be clicking on the pic your posting...

  5. #4
    wistful is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '14 Vagon
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Age
    31
    Posts
    28

    Re: Hello From a new Vagon owner!

    She's def purdy.

    outta curiosity, what motivated you to switch from the S6 to CTSV?

  6. #5
    Xaqtly's Avatar
    Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    896

    Re: Hello From a new Vagon owner!

    Quote Originally Posted by moarofthis View Post
    I am not sure how Cadillac nailed the dynamics so well on a car that weighs so much. Coming from a slew of German cars over the last decade this has to be the most surprising aspect of this car. Body control is excellent, the ride is still compliant and the steering feels like it should... Kind of like what made BMW the standard for good steering feel and feedback.
    Exactly this. This is the thing about this car that so many people don't understand, all they see are the beefy HP numbers, the big engine, the supercharger, RWD. It's really difficult to convince people this is a well balanced, well controlled responsive handler, because how could it be that and have all that power at the same time? This is what makes it one of the greatest cars of our time, not the power.

    James May complains that developing a car on the Nurburgring ruins it, but it is exactly what the CTS-V needed, and once he was done complaining about the CTS-V and finally got it onto a twisty road, he said it was the best American car he had ever driven.

    My 2005 Subaru Legacy GT was the same kind of perfect storm kind of car - it wasn't nearly as fast as the V obviously, but that wasn't the point. It was all the undefinable little things, it was how it felt when turning into corners, it was the ratio of power to handling, it was the balance, it was how it all came together that made it a special car, greater than the sum of its parts. And I don't feel that way about all Subarus, I think the 05 Legacy GT is the best car they ever made. Top Gear thought so too, they named that model their car of the year in 04 or 05.

    I think the V2 CTS-V is the same thing. It got so many things so right that I don't think they're going to be able to duplicate it. A lot of people here have said the E39 M5 was the same kind of thing, it was just exactly the right mix of everything. The next CTS-V will be faster, maybe handle better, have better technology etc., but it remains to be seen if it will have the same mix of features, feedback and presence that works so well in the V2. The new M5 is faster than the old ones, but it's not as fun to drive, and in direct head to heads they always pick the CTS-V as the car that is better to drive.

    But they pulled off another home run with the C7, so maybe they can do it again with the CTS-V. Until then, take care of your wagon, which is even more of an unobtainicorn than mine is, since there are almost no wagons in phantom gray, never mind manual ones. It's going to be impossible to replace.
    Tri-SS and gohawks63 like this.

  7. #6
    V-Horse's Avatar
    V-Horse is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    176

    Re: Hello From a new Vagon owner!

    Subaru Legacy GT along w/ Forester XT Turbo in manual were amazingly fun cars to drive.

  8. #7
    Trapspeed's Avatar
    Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,087
    Welcome. Phantom Gray....love that color. I'd drive it in a second. Have fun with it.

  9. #8
    moarofthis's Avatar
    moarofthis is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Have Vagon
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    16

    Re: Hello From a new Vagon owner!

    Quote Originally Posted by vfaninva View Post
    Beautiful car. Looks almost like Thunder Gray in that light. Welcome aboard!
    I have never seen the Thunder Gray, but I understand it is similar.. Thanks!


    Quote Originally Posted by V-Horse View Post
    Forgive me for I just saw a very disturbing clip someone had posted on this forum about a guy making love to his car and now to some dude with wind up his skirt posting a pic, needless to say I will not be clicking on the pic your posting...
    Touché my good man...

    Quote Originally Posted by wistful View Post
    She's def purdy.

    outta curiosity, what motivated you to switch from the S6 to CTSV?
    Don't get me wrong, I loved the S6. The car was a bank vault with a turbo V8... whats not to like. The reasons for premature departure...
    1. the lack of manual transmission.
    2. Terrible throttle lag when taking off from a start
    3. soulless, I can't think of a better word for it. It handled well, was very quick... but it was almost like that kid in school who could do anything well... It was indifferent to your wants as a drivers car as it knew how to do it better.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
    Exactly this. This is the thing about this car that so many people don't understand, all they see are the beefy HP numbers, the big engine, the supercharger, RWD. It's really difficult to convince people this is a well balanced, well controlled responsive handler, because how could it be that and have all that power at the same time? This is what makes it one of the greatest cars of our time, not the power.

    James May complains that developing a car on the Nurburgring ruins it, but it is exactly what the CTS-V needed, and once he was done complaining about the CTS-V and finally got it onto a twisty road, he said it was the best American car he had ever driven.

    My 2005 Subaru Legacy GT was the same kind of perfect storm kind of car - it wasn't nearly as fast as the V obviously, but that wasn't the point. It was all the undefinable little things, it was how it felt when turning into corners, it was the ratio of power to handling, it was the balance, it was how it all came together that made it a special car, greater than the sum of its parts. And I don't feel that way about all Subarus, I think the 05 Legacy GT is the best car they ever made. Top Gear thought so too, they named that model their car of the year in 04 or 05.

    I think the V2 CTS-V is the same thing. It got so many things so right that I don't think they're going to be able to duplicate it. A lot of people here have said the E39 M5 was the same kind of thing, it was just exactly the right mix of everything. The next CTS-V will be faster, maybe handle better, have better technology etc., but it remains to be seen if it will have the same mix of features, feedback and presence that works so well in the V2. The new M5 is faster than the old ones, but it's not as fun to drive, and in direct head to heads they always pick the CTS-V as the car that is better to drive.

    But they pulled off another home run with the C7, so maybe they can do it again with the CTS-V. Until then, take care of your wagon, which is even more of an unobtainicorn than mine is, since there are almost no wagons in phantom gray, never mind manual ones. It's going to be impossible to replace.
    Well said, I am not a power monger at all, but it is definitely a bonus on this car. The Chassis reminds me of the e36 M3 and e39 M5. Two of BMW's best cars in that they were competent, and all systems worked well together for a tremendous driving experience no matter how fast you were going. My wife sold her urabus GT sedan for a VW passat. I was sad to see the suby go, it had a great personality and was a blast to drive.



    Can anyone comment on the deceleration buzz while in gear at about 3700 to 4500 rpm? really curious about this... maybe it is just coming from a car that was so smooth everywhere I'm not used to this.

    Thanks for the compliments! (just ordered air raid.... couldn't help it)

    Michael.

  10. #9
    MRANT212's Avatar
    MRANT212 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 12 CTSV 07 Escalade ESV,08 Impala SS,88 Corvette,71 Corvette
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Age
    52
    Posts
    176

    Re: Hello From a new Vagon owner!

    Congrats on the purchase!! Car looks amazing! May want to change your auto signature on top that Want V Wagon to Have a Grey Vagon! Many happy sMiles with it!!

  11. #10
    CVP33's Avatar
    CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    mockingbigjimsville, NC
    Age
    47
    Posts
    5,740

    Re: Hello From a new Vagon owner!

    Welcome! I wish I had a Vagon. We'd be a 2 V family!

  12. #11
    elphil is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Really Cool '11 CTS-V Wagon
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Goodyear, AZ
    Posts
    988

    Re: Hello From a new Vagon owner!

    Congratulations! You are going to love your wagon. Nice color. I've been enjoying my Thunder Grey wagon for a full three years.

  13. #12
    dl72 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    159
    Congrats and enjoy.

  14. #13
    gohawks63's Avatar
    gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,366

    Re: Hello From a new Vagon owner!

    She's a beauty, congrats and welcome!!

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
    Exactly this. This is the thing about this car that so many people don't understand, all they see are the beefy HP numbers, the big engine, the supercharger, RWD. It's really difficult to convince people this is a well balanced, well controlled responsive handler, because how could it be that and have all that power at the same time? This is what makes it one of the greatest cars of our time, not the power.

    James May complains that developing a car on the Nurburgring ruins it, but it is exactly what the CTS-V needed, and once he was done complaining about the CTS-V and finally got it onto a twisty road, he said it was the best American car he had ever driven.

    My 2005 Subaru Legacy GT was the same kind of perfect storm kind of car - it wasn't nearly as fast as the V obviously, but that wasn't the point. It was all the undefinable little things, it was how it felt when turning into corners, it was the ratio of power to handling, it was the balance, it was how it all came together that made it a special car, greater than the sum of its parts. And I don't feel that way about all Subarus, I think the 05 Legacy GT is the best car they ever made. Top Gear thought so too, they named that model their car of the year in 04 or 05.

    I think the V2 CTS-V is the same thing. It got so many things so right that I don't think they're going to be able to duplicate it. A lot of people here have said the E39 M5 was the same kind of thing, it was just exactly the right mix of everything. The next CTS-V will be faster, maybe handle better, have better technology etc., but it remains to be seen if it will have the same mix of features, feedback and presence that works so well in the V2. The new M5 is faster than the old ones, but it's not as fun to drive, and in direct head to heads they always pick the CTS-V as the car that is better to drive.

    But they pulled off another home run with the C7, so maybe they can do it again with the CTS-V. Until then, take care of your wagon, which is even more of an unobtainicorn than mine is, since there are almost no wagons in phantom gray, never mind manual ones. It's going to be impossible to replace.
    Wow.. well said!

  15. #14
    Squirlz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond 6MT V-Wagon
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Okemos, MI
    Posts
    261

    Re: Hello From a new Vagon owner!

    Welcome from another 6-speed wagon owner!

  16. #15
    Va72mlibu's Avatar
    Va72mlibu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirlz
    Welcome from another 6-speed wagon owner!
    Ditto

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting