V in the snow......
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, V in the snow...... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I didn't even go that far with my V as I really am not planning on driving it in the ...
    MRANT212 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 12 CTSV 07 Escalade ESV,08 Impala SS,88 Corvette,71 Corvette

V in the snow......

I didn't even go that far with my V as I really am not planning on driving it in the snow. We got just a little over 10" of the white stuff. My V was parked outside in my driveway. After snowblowing the driveway I pulled the car out to the street to brush off the snow that was on the car. The street was plowed but snow was packed and a bit icy.....I got stuck right after pulling off my driveway apron and on the street!! Needed my two boys and their friend to push me out...traction control off with a snow rooster tail! Now, I cleaned off my car and drove @ 200 ft to make a u turn to pull it back in my driveway. Traction control back on driving slowly.. Turned left slowly but the car kept going straight. Finally got it back to my house. Anyway, have under 8k miles on my 2012.. These summer tires truly suck in the winter. How much better are the winter tires that some of you are using? I use my 08 Impala SS or the Escalade for weather like this. I just couldn't believe how bad the V was in the snow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

emperors6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V A6 Black Diamond Sedan

Re: V in the snow......

What tires are you running? I run Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 at 235-40-19 in the winter, and no issues so far. Even in deeper snow. I mean, it's not the same as my Corolla with the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2s, but it's definitely drivable, and in dry/wet winter weather it feels like summer almost.

Vanquisher is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

They don't call them "Summer" tires as a joke. Using them in anything less than 45 degrees is stupid. I commend you for even attempting to use the car in the snow with summer tires. Get winter rubber if you want to drive it, its not bad. Really the main problem is ground clearance. I made the mistake today of not shoveling out my parking spot enough and almost got stuck very close to another car. Once I shoveled a bit more it was no problem. My only sad thing is I slipped a bit and put a slight scratch on the car from the shovel.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    I constantly am amazed at people who don't understand that summer tires don't move in snow. At all. Your V is going to see ANY snow? Better have all seasons or snows...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by MRANT212
    I didn't even go that far with my V as I really am not planning on driving it in the snow. We got just a little over 10" of the white stuff. My V was parked outside in my driveway. After snowblowing the driveway I pulled the car out to the street to brush off the snow that was on the car. The street was plowed but snow was packed and a bit icy.....I got stuck right after pulling off my driveway apron and on the street!! Needed my two boys and their friend to push me out...traction control off with a snow rooster tail! Now, I cleaned off my car and drove @ 200 ft to make a u turn to pull it back in my driveway. Traction control back on driving slowly.. Turned left slowly but the car kept going straight. Finally got it back to my house. Anyway, have under 8k miles on my 2012.. These summer tires truly suck in the winter. How much better are the winter tires that some of you are using? I use my 08 Impala SS or the Escalade for weather like this. I just couldn't believe how bad the V was in the snow.
    I couldn't make it up a friends driveway who had just a light coat of snow.

We got 8.5" over the past few days with another 8"-15" predicted for this weekend. The V is sitting nice an clean in my garage. I needed up getting a good deal on a short term rental for less than $500/month. Gonna pick it up tomorrow.

If we get a thaw I can turn it in at any time. At worse I drive it for a coupe of months. Cheaper than a new set of wheels. I don't need to worry about registration, or what I'll do with the car when the weather warms and the V becomes my DD.

T.J.T is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None yet

I tried to drive to the dealer to put my winters on the day a blizzard hit. I made it 5 blocks down the road and had to call road side assistance because it was very unsafe. I couldnt even make it home.

After I had pirelli sottozero put on I left the dealer and got stuck a block in heavy deep snow.

I had 5 guys help push me and once I got onto the main road it was ok...

Its fine to drive when the snow is packed, if its fresh deep and wet... forget about it. The width of these tires dont help, but what do you expect when you are trying to drive a 560 hp rear wheel drive car in the snow

garfin is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;

Such is the price we pay for exceptional "warm weather" performance from the PS2s. They are totally useless in winter conditions. It's kinda like wearing a windbreaker in conditions that dictate a goose down parka. The windbreaker ain't gonna do the job of keeping you warm. Sottozeros are great in moderate winter conditions and maintain the car's handling on pavement, but there are better tires available for deeper snow and ice.

Best regards,

Elie

thuss239 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Yes - the summer only tires are useless in any amount of snow. And not good in the cold on dry roads as others have mentioned. I found that out the hard way when I had my G8 GT. I took delivery of my '14 V about 3 weeks ago - I had the dealer put the sottozeros on before I took delivery. Since then i've driven it in the snow and its been fine. Both snow packed/icy roads and 3-5" of fresh powder. Only real issue is pulling out into traffic...sometimes you need to turn off the traction control to get going so you dont get rear ended.

Get some sottos or blizzaks and you will be fine with the exception of driving in a blizzard.

DCV
    DCV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV bone stock

Even on clear roads when its below 40 or so…..its spooky handling with summer tires. Its very cold here in DC today, but sunny. But I'm leaving the V in the garage as it too cold for the summer tires. At 20 degrees they are hockey pucks, cold hard and stiff.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

MRANT212: Sigh. Tires, tires, tires, tires. The V is just fine in the snow. It is tires that make the difference. Why don't people believe that and have to learn their lesson the hard way? Let me tell you how I spent the last couple of days.....

We just got 8 inches in the last two days where I live and had blizzard conditions on Thursday. Of course, go figure, my hospitals were busier than usual on Thursday, right when the worst of the storm came through. I had to drive about 60 miles on freeways and snow-covered roadways in my V wagon as I had to make multiple trips to see sick patients. On Blizzaks, I never got stuck once. I actually drove in near-blizzard conditions including whiteout at one point. I passed two AWD trucks that spun out (presumably they were on all-seasons), and at the freeway speed limit......on 2-3 inches of snow on the freeway. My buddies did not have to push me out of a ditch. I did not spin out. Of course, I didn't use all 556 crank hp either.

Blizzaks FTMFW.

...and here's my poor salty V after travels in the snow a few days ago.

Club Malibu likes this.

Tro Budden is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V sedan, thunder grey, 6speed

yessss, excellent story bob. I too find myself passing awd suv's and trucks on the way to work and wondering how general public manages to crash. Im on all season conti's and they arent great! The V can be a handfull in the winter but all it takes is skill of driving and knowledge of gravity. I mean that by judging surfaces on the road which put different forces onto your vehicle, like small dips and slanted roads. You need to keep momentum and try not to come to complete stops[excuse=manual]. Know the temperature in which the snow base becomes too soft and your car will sink instead of float, for me its [0 - -7]c . I live in northern Ontario, yesterday it was -45c here and thats wildly cold, I didnt even attempt to start it.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Where in northern Ontario?

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

It's heartbreaking to see that V covered in road salt. I opted not to subject mine to it. I just picked up a rental (Chevy Cruze) that will be my DD until we get a thaw. Based on the rate I got, even if I have it for the next two months, it's still cheaper than a set of new Blizzaks and wheels. I can even off set the cost of the rental by suspending the insurance on the V for the next couple of months if I want to.

Next year I won't have to worry about it because my son will be off to college and his car will be left behind so I'll be able to use it.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
    ^^^^
    C'mon guys, salt just gives me one more reason to touch and wash my V.
    MRANT212 likes this.

mpouls1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 Black Raven 11.99 @ 118mph stock

With Blizzak's let it snow, let it snow let it snow. Never been stuck. Fresh and packed, wet and slushy (heh). Turn the TC off at a stop light. Turn it back on once I have some traction and away we go! A lot of the guys in the AWD vehicles spinning out are idiots. "oh I have AWD and don't have to drive appropriately for the weather conditions." I don't think my V with Blizzaks can outperform my 1500 silverado 4x4 but they are pretty close, but then again I don't drive like I'm invincible with my truck either.

Love the pick. We should line our cars up next to each other and watch some people cringe.
    Vsochs likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.