cts-v burning oil smell after driving.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, cts-v burning oil smell after driving. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I just wanted to see if I have an issue that I need checking out. After I drive my car ...
    ATX_BLK_CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V Coupe

cts-v burning oil smell after driving.

I just wanted to see if I have an issue that I need checking out. After I drive my car and pull into my garage I always notice a burning oil smell. This is either if I have been enjoying all 556hp or not. There are no oil spots in my garage so its got me puzzeled.

I own a 2011 cert V coupe with obo 20k miles on it. I bought it early 2013 with 18k miles on it. Its not my daily driver, so it is well cared for, but I do get on it sometimes when I drive it. I am not sure if this is just a normal supercharged thing , but it doesn't seem to fit a $60k+ luxury car. I have brought it in to the dealer before about this issue and they said they didn't see anything wrong, I must be some oil from the last oil change dripped onto the exhaust. I have given enough time for it to have burned off.

I have owned 8 or so cars in my life an I have never experienced this before.

I am bringing it in for its oil change next week; is there anything I should have them check other than a obvious oil leak somewhere?

Any advice is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

emperors6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V A6 Black Diamond Sedan

Re: cts-v burning oil smell after driving.

I have had a similar issue. However, it happens when the heat is on high and it's idling and I bought the car new, it now has 700km.

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Mine definitely had a smell early on as something was burning off. My ZL1 was the same way. Bought both of mine new as well. I'm at 2,300 miles now (not my daily driver) and that initial smell has gone away. It definitely has a smell to it when it's hot though. Hot oil would be an accurate description.

@ATX_ maybe you're the first owner to properly flog the car. Gotta agree though that this is the first car (of 30 I've owned) that ever had a smell to it when hot. My thought is that the oil ingestion that I've seen sitting on intercooler bricks on the underside of the I/C lid is what we're all smelling. Pictures have been posted of I/C bricks on virtually brand new cars with oil caked on the underside. Knowing how hot that piece gets after spirited driving and how much oil is laying up under there, my guess is that we're all smelling that oil cooking.

That's my theory anyway. I have a catch can to install that I believe will eliminate the smell long term.

1800bigk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Are you sure its burning oil smell and not a burning rubber smell. I get a burnt smell too when I return home and I thought it was oil but as I was getting things out of the trunk I could tell it was my tires. I drive this car hard specially when I get to my street. There are Never any cops so I love to do rolling burnouts right before I pull in.

Not much of a "burnout" guy anymore. When I was younger yes, when I'm at the track to warm my drag radials, but not with the V so much.....yet.

dcc8203 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 V-Wagon on order

I have noticed the same with my '12 V Wagon pulling into the garage. Seems to occur at random and not related to any high HP outbursts.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by ATX_BLK_CTS View Post
    I just wanted to see if I have an issue that I need checking out. After I drive my car and pull into my garage I always notice a burning oil smell. This is either if I have been enjoying all 556hp or not. There are no oil spots in my garage so its got me puzzeled.

I own a 2011 cert V coupe with obo 20k miles on it. I bought it early 2013 with 18k miles on it. Its not my daily driver, so it is well cared for, but I do get on it sometimes when I drive it. I am not sure if this is just a normal supercharged thing , but it doesn't seem to fit a $60k+ luxury car. I have brought it in to the dealer before about this issue and they said they didn't see anything wrong, I must be some oil from the last oil change dripped onto the exhaust. I have given enough time for it to have burned off.

I have owned 8 or so cars in my life an I have never experienced this before.

I am bringing it in for its oil change next week; is there anything I should have them check other than a obvious oil leak somewhere?

Any advice is appreciated.
    Hello ATX_BLK_CTS,

I am sorry to hear that your CTS-V is experiencing this oil smell when you are pulling into the garage. I would suggest bringing this up to the dealership before they do the oil change next week. Please keep us updated on your dealership visit next week. I will be sure to be on the lookout for you future posts.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Quote Originally Posted by emperors6 View Post
    I have had a similar issue. However, it happens when the heat is on high and it's idling and I bought the car new, it now has 700km.
    Hello emperors6,

Congratulations on your recent purchase of your CTS-V! Have you had a chance to bring this up to your dealership’s service department yet? If you continue to experience this concern, I would suggest reaching out to our Customer Care team in Canada at 800-263-3777 regarding this concern. They can be contacted Monday through Friday 7:30AM to 11:30PM EST and Saturday 7:30AM to 6PM EST. Please keep us updated if you do reach out to them or your dealership.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Quote Originally Posted by dcc8203 View Post
    I have noticed the same with my '12 V Wagon pulling into the garage. Seems to occur at random and not related to any high HP outbursts.
    Hello dcc8203,

I apologize that you are experiencing this smell as well when you are pulling into your garage. Have you taken your vehicle into the Cadillac service department yet for a diagnosis?

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

carterb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS,DI gray,prem (sold); 2012 CTS-V sedan, gray, auto

The last time I had a similar issue with oil smell was with an '08 CTS - turns out that one of the valve cover gaskets was leaking in the back of the engine. Had to be disassembled to access it to replace the gasket by the dealer (couple day job).

krustyone is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

I just bought an 11 v coupe with 4000 miles on it. I have the same smell. not all the time. just a couple times so far. Dont see anything leaking or any smoke. Let us know if the dealer finds anything.

I'm too fearful of joy riding lot attendants to take my car to the dealer. I know the reality is something altogether different. I think GM needs to work on this from a PR perspective. Kind of a customer promise of what will and won't happen to your car while its in for service. There's been too many stories, in the news and on there forums and others of card being picked up with 25 additional miles on the odometer.

The funny part is if I owned an M5 or E63 I wouldn't have that fear. Do they not have similar problems? Don't know. Until the dealership experience can match the performance and price of the car, it
    will always be a lesser brand. The brand is all encompassing which includes customer perceptions.

Just a few thoughts that I think could move GM in a better direction with their premium brand.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by carterb View Post
    The last time I had a similar issue with oil smell was with an '08 CTS - turns out that one of the valve cover gaskets was leaking in the back of the engine. Had to be disassembled to access it to replace the gasket by the dealer (couple day job).
    Hello carterb,

Thank you very much for providing your experience with this concern! In your situation was the repair covered under your warranty and are you experiencing any additional concerns with your CTS after the repair?

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Quote Originally Posted by krustyone View Post
    I just bought an 11 v coupe with 4000 miles on it. I have the same smell. not all the time. just a couple times so far. Dont see anything leaking or any smoke. Let us know if the dealer finds anything.
    Hello krustyone,

Congratulations on your new CTS-V! I am glad to hear that you don’t see any leaking or smoke. If you would like any assistance working with your dealership, please feel free to private message me or send me an email at socialmedia@gm.com with “ATTN GREG” in the subject line.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Quote Originally Posted by CVP33 View Post
    I'm too fearful of joy riding lot attendants to take my car to the dealer. I know the reality is something altogether different. I think GM needs to work on this from a PR perspective. Kind of a customer promise of what will and won't happen to your car while its in for service. There's been too many stories, in the news and on there forums and others of card being picked up with 25 additional miles on the odometer.

The funny part is if I owned an M5 or E63 I wouldn't have that fear. Do they not have similar problems? Don't know. Until the dealership experience can match the performance and price of the car, it
    will always be a lesser brand. The brand is all encompassing which includes customer perceptions.

Just a few thoughts that I think could move GM in a better direction with their premium brand.
    Hello CVP33,

I definitely apologize that you have a fear of someone at the dealership taking your vehicle for a joy ride. I will be sure to document your feedback and pass it along. I would suggest if you are worried about this happening to reach out to the service manager with your concerns, as well as reaching out to us so we can contact your dealership with your concerns as well. A test drive is required in some situations to make sure that the concern has been addressed, but I definitely understand your hesitation with joy rides. Thank you again for your feedback, I will be sure to document it.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

ATX_BLK_CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V Coupe

It's a sad day. I have decided to sell my CTS-V coupe. After taking it to the dealer twice I still have the same issue, the problem still exists. (burning oil smell)
    They stated that it was some gasket with a small leak that caused a bit of oil to leak. I have never had any oil leaks in my garage so I know that is not true.
    I think it is something internally in the engine. I don't want to be stuck with a $5000-$8000 repair bill for a failed supercharger in a few years. It is still covered under Certified, but I don't have time to deal with this.

I will miss it, but its kinda like being married to a supermodel with a family history of psychosis. It looks and performs great, but I don't want to be there when it loses it.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

So you sold it because of an oil smell and it was still under warranty? Did you try another dealer? The powertrain is another year anyway; 5/60K I believe.

6104696 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ATX_BLK_CTS View Post
    I think it is something internally in the engine.
    huh?

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    He doesn't have time to deal with it. So he just needs to find a perfect automaker with no problems...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.