Possible to have an Add Oil False Alarm
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Possible to have an Add Oil False Alarm in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Okay, here's a dummy type of question about engine oil. I know there's lots of threads about oil consumption, and ...
    sfvagon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon 6MT

Possible to have an Add Oil False Alarm

Okay, here's a dummy type of question about engine oil. I know there's lots of threads about oil consumption, and I've gotten used to adding about half a quart of oil in between services. I did so a couple of weeks ago when my "Oil Low" warning came on - which would normally tide me over until the next service appointment.

However, today from a cold start I got another "Oil Low, Add Oil" message, so I added another half quart. However, when starting her up, I'm still getting the add oil message. Checking the dipstick, it seems like there's sufficient oil (although it can definitely use a change). Is it even feasible this message could be a false alarm?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RobF300 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan HIS, 2012 CTS4 coupe- Her's

Re: Possible to have an Add Oil False Alarm

Sufficient oil or full?

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Sensors can fail, don't just add oil because a light is on. The dipstick is the deciding factor, it won't lie.
    You probably have a sensor going bad. If you just changed the oil wait until you need to change it again and then replace the sensor.

Gary Wells is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles

What does your "% of oil use left" indicate?

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

1/2 quart between the normal 8 - 10K for the change reminder near 0?

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd
    Sensors can fail, don't just add oil because a light is on. The dipstick is the deciding factor, it won't lie. You probably have a sensor going bad. If you just changed the oil wait until you need to change it again and then replace the sensor.
    +1. Trust the stick.

marcusp23 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan

I had the same thing happen to me recently. Checked the dipstick and it was plenty full. Took the car in to the dealer today and they said it was not low, but that it was probably just time for an oil change (even though I wasn't due yet). I think maybe they forgot to re-set the indicator last time they changed the oil for me.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by marcusp23 View Post
    I had the same thing happen to me recently. Checked the dipstick and it was plenty full. Took the car in to the dealer today and they said it was not low, but that it was probably just time for an oil change (even though I wasn't due yet). I think maybe they forgot to re-set the indicator last time they changed the oil for me.
    Hello marcusp25,

I am glad to hear that the dealership was able to look into this concern for you. Please keep us updated if this happens again and thank you very much for sharing your story with us. I will be sure to look for your future updates. Please feel free to reach out to us via private message if you have any further questions or concerns.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Hi Folks, thanks a lot for the recommendations. I've been traveling for a bit but will be taking it into the dealer soon to have them double check the sensor. The oil did look pretty dirty, so it's time for a change anyway.

% oil life is reported at 48, and level is not full. Probably user error, but it gets to halfway on the crosshatch, then there's a gap, and then some at the top of the crosshatch - I'm assuming at the top, it's splash back because I'm yanking it out too fast or something.

RobF300 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan HIS, 2012 CTS4 coupe- Her's

not trying to sound like a douche but are you pulling the stick out, cleaning it, and putting it and out nice and easy?

Yep - I'm pretty careful about it Will see how the service visit goes...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.