Does the factory roof rack add any noticeable wind noise?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Does the factory roof rack add any noticeable wind noise? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I'm considering a CTS-V wagon, and if I do get one I'll be transporting bicycles from time to time. I'm ...
    v132 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Does the factory roof rack add any noticeable wind noise?

I'm considering a CTS-V wagon, and if I do get one I'll be transporting bicycles from time to time. I'm debating whether to order the factory roof rails, and then add crossbars so that I can attach bike rails to them. Alternatively, I could have a hitch put on the car and use a hitch-mount bike rack.

The advantage of the hitch-mount rack is that it's very easy to attach, so I can only keep it on the car when I'm actually using it. Also, when I'm not using the rack I would assume the hitch doesn't add any wind noise. The disadvantages would be the permanent addition of 50lbs weight to the car, and a low-hanging thing to catch on driveway scoops. I had a 1994 Impala SS years ago with a 2" hitch, and it would catch every now and then. It wasn't really a big deal, though.

The advantage of the roof rack is that it adds a different level of flexibility to the car. I could probably fit 4-5 bikes on there, and I've also got ski modules. Finally I've got a Thule "coffin" carrier for yet more storage space. The disadvantage is that I would not want to have to mount and dismount the crossbars and bike rails each time I wanted to transport bikes, while with the hitch-mount rack I could very easily only attach it when I'm moving bikes.

The other potential disadvantage leads to my question - would the factory roof rack add any noticeable wind noise? If not, I'd be tempted to order it so that it's there if I decide I want to use a roof rack some time later on.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Blakester is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 cts-v wagon
    No noise from mounting rails and when racks are on have not noticed any noise.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Re: Does the factory roof rack add any noticeable wind noise?

If you get the rails at least you will always have that option of putting on a hitch at a later date. If you don't order the rails you automatically limit yourself to only the hitch option.

v132 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

I've seen some factory roof racks (i.e. the Outback) in which the rails that run along the side of the car (front-to-back) swing over and become crossbars when you're ready to use them. It's a very nice design, as you'd have lower wind resistance when you're not using the bars, and swinging them into place is quite easy.

Does the CTS wagon roof rack do this also? Or would I have to get a set of crossbars and affix them to the front-to-rear rails myself?

Thanks,

John F

ps if the roof rack doesn't add any wind noise, as people are saying, then I'd almost certainly order it as I know that I would want to have the option of using it some day.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

The crossbars are added later and are not included in the purchase of your car. You must affix them yourself (or pay someone to do it). I have not personally done this, so I can't tell you if it is easy or difficult to install (I can't believe it is difficult) or if any additional noise is added while driving.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

The sunroof causes wind noise sometimes.

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels

You might as well order it. All roof racks make noise. Some more than others. Personally I like the V's optional bars since they install in the side rails. I had a Yakima roof rack once that was annoying to install with clips that had to be measured out and inserted into the door recesses.

I haven't installed mine yet since I haven't had a need. They are somewhat aerodynamic and elliptical shaped so I'm guessing they're quieter than the circular tube options that Thule and Yakima make.

eyeballs19 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS-V wagon 6MN

My roof rack makes noise. Whistling, mostly. Both with and without the bike attachments. It is not that bad and the radio covers it up, but I hear it-- I do have the sunroof. I use the roof only for the mountain bike when it is going to be muddy. Otherwise I remove the bars and keep all bikes inside the car. I race bikes and can carry 2 (road and time trial) and a bunch more junk for a weekend of racing if I pack well.

I have a hitch ready to install this winter, and think that will be the best solution for me.

1pieceatatime is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Future V?

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I have a similar scenario to OP. Does anyone have experience installing and removing the crossbows? Is it a pain in e butt? I wouldn't want to leave them on when not in use...

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels

It's easy. You pull the plastic rail covers out on each side. Then the bars slide in and lock with a lever. Simple and quick without any tricks.

1pieceatatime is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Future V?

Thank you! Will likely not order them with the car, save a few bucks not financing their cost and dealers are selling for about $50 off list online.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.