Considering a new wagon
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Considering a new wagon in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I've been wanting to buy a manual transmission wagon for about a year, and the stars have aligned such that ...
    v132 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Considering a new wagon

I've been wanting to buy a manual transmission wagon for about a year, and the stars have aligned such that I can seriously consider the CTS-V wagon. I made an appointment with the Cadillac dealer in Englewood Cliffs, NJ for Thursday to test drive a 2012 CTS-V coupe with a manual transmission. I want to see if the car is tolerable for driving in stop-and-go traffic. I'm sure it will be pure bliss to drive on the highway, but what will it be like on the George Washington Bridge and the FDR when the traffic isn't moving? This will be a daily driver, with trips to NJ several times a week. I've read several comments that the automatic CTS-V is quite pleasant to drive in heavy traffic, but no comments regarding the manual.

I asked the dealer what the window is for ordering a CTS-V wagon, as I've seen many posts saying that very soon there will be no more orders accepted. The dealer said January 31st. Another surprising bit of information they gave me was that they found 3 CTS-V wagons, with manual transmission, within 200 miles available for sale. I must say that really surprised me. I am *really* interested to see what they are like.

I'm currently driving a 1999 Corolla with a stick (I've been saving my car money for a LONG LONG time!) so I am already used to the heavy traffic while driving stick. I'm just not used to the traffic in a CTS-V!

John F
    New York, NY

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Re: Considering a new wagon

The Tremec TR-6060 6MT is extremely easy to drive in heavy traffic. I've been driving my 6MT V wagon for a year and have yet to be fatigued by the shifter in heavy traffic. What helps is that in stop-and-go low speed traffic, you can just let out the clutch in 1st or 2nd gear without having to apply the gas much of the time. That makes it so easy. It'll be easier than your stick Corolla.

Just do it. You will love it. Guaranteed.

garfin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;

Quote Originally Posted by neuronbob View Post
    The Tremec TR-6060 6MT is extremely easy to drive in heavy traffic. I've been driving my 6MT V wagon for a year and have yet to be fatigued by the shifter in heavy traffic. What helps is that in stop-and-go low speed traffic, you can just let out the clutch in 1st or 2nd gear without having to apply the gas much of the time. That makes it so easy. It'll be easier than your stick Corolla.

Just do it. You will love it. Guaranteed.
    I'll vote the same way. After driving a friend's 2009 manual V and realizing how easy the clutch and shifting action actually is on the car, I ordered my 2010 V with a manual, knowing it was going to be my DD. I totally agree that it's an extremely easy car to drive in traffic because of the light clutch and all the torque. I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised with your test drive in a manual V!

Best regards,

Elie

v132 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Thanks Neuronbob & Elie for the good news! At this point, the CTS-V is far and away my first choice, and if I like the test drive of the manual CTS-V coupe I'm going to order a wagon. For those who are familiar with the NYC area, I'll likely drive up the Palisades highway to the exit just south of the NY/NJ border, head south on 9w, and then drive on River Road to Fort Lee and then back to the dealer in Englewood.

I've asked the dealer for some information on the 3 CTS-V manual wagons that they claim are available in a 200 mile radius.

One other question... I am under the impression that the 2014 wagon is more or less the same as the 2013 and 2012. How about electronics? I.e. the GPS & stereo - is it any better in the 2014 model or for the most part the same? I am asking as I think it's possible that the three CTS-V wagons which may or may not exist are likely 2012 or 2013 models.

Thanks,

John F
    New York, NY

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels

Let me put this into my own perspective. The only V I ever test drove was an automatic sedan. I thought it felt terrible. The throttle response of the automatic was horrendous in automatic mode and the gear 'buttons' (not paddles) were a shit experience for me. I rethought the whole idea of V ownership. Then a little time passed, I saw a new Vagon for sale which was a manual and one of the last new 2013s that was immediately available and I said 'Awwww, f$ck it' and pulled the trigger. The manual is an absolute dream and exactly what I was hoping for. Instant throttle response and an unfiltered connection between driver and the heart of the V...the motor. I couldn't be more pleased. I would have hated owning this car as an automatic. Mind you I daily drive the car at least 60 miles a day.

PS, to each his own. I'm not trying to bash guys who chose autos, and I realize they're superior if you're shooting for great drag runs. I'm just sharing what I was experiencing and hoping for in a car. I'm a road course guy. The auto was a flop for me but the manual was spot on perfect.
    Ratz likes this.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by v132
    Thanks Neuronbob & Elie for the good news! At this point, the CTS-V is far and away my first choice, and if I like the test drive of the manual CTS-V coupe I'm going to order a wagon. For those who are familiar with the NYC area, I'll likely drive up the Palisades highway to the exit just south of the NY/NJ border, head south on 9w, and then drive on River Road to Fort Lee and then back to the dealer in Englewood. I've asked the dealer for some information on the 3 CTS-V manual wagons that they claim are available in a 200 mile radius. One other question... I am under the impression that the 2014 wagon is more or less the same as the 2013 and 2012. How about electronics? I.e. the GPS & stereo - is it any better in the 2014 model or for the most part the same? I am asking as I think it's possible that the three CTS-V wagons which may or may not exist are likely 2012 or 2013 models. Thanks, John F New York, NY
    No change in electronics. In other words none of the new stuff offered in the 3rd gen CTS sedan (I.e CUE, and the vibrating seats).

Wow,going from a '99 Corolla to a V! You're going to think you died and went to heaven.

Good Luck!

RVC
    RVC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    I drive my manual V to work twice a week and sometimes get into heavy Hampton Roads traffic and the V is a breeze. You will forget all about the traffic when you crack the throttle and hear that LSA. It is truly a really great car to own I would never give up mine....ecxept for a 6M Coupe. It rest of the week I drive a lifted 2000 5speed Jeep Wrangler and the V is so much easier to drive. Whatever you do, get the Recaro seats!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

DCV
    DCV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV bone stock

The V manual in traffic is fine. I drive mine in and about DC roads in rush hour traffic all the time, not a problem. No leg cramps or sore feet tor ankles. The car has enough torque that you barely need to give it gas in stop and go traffic.

1800bigk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

If you are used to stick in traffic then this will be no different maybe a tad easier. I drive mine in traffic and I find myself shifting less than my 4 bangers cause the V has so much power on tap you will shift less. Where the corolla will require a downshift to avoid bogging the V will just keep going. The clutch pedal on the V is so easy too. When I first pushed the clutch pedal down on the V I thought something was wrong, it is effortless. Get it, you will not be disappointed!

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Get the manual!

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

The V comes with an automatic?

Quote Originally Posted by tinman
    The V comes with an automatic?
    You didn't know that?

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    the v comes with an automatic?
    I am ROFL!

Shame on me. Yes I am gullible.
    tinman likes this.

Vanquisher is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

I work in Clifton NJ and I'll be honest traveling those roads during rush hour sucks a huge one. Granted I was driving a 2013 WRX 5 speed manual as my commuter for the better part of last year and this year. As many people mentioned it was a lot of shifting and gas giving to avoid bogging with the 4 banger. I drove my 1000whp camaro to work a few times and found it so much easier due to the immense torque as others have said about the V. Despite all that honestly after awhile dealing with the traffic between 287, 80, 46, and 3 I just couldn't take it anymore after a year. Although I think driving a stick car is the only way to go, I've changed my mind when it comes to heavy NYC/NJ traffic.

I think the Auto V is an amazing ride, you can kind of just sit back and enjoy it. The V is the best car I have owned yet and plan to drive it daily for many years to come. Either way man you can't loose. My only issue right now is stopping myself from doing and upper/lower pulley and some headers LOL.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.