Anyone need a snell2010 track helmet for under $60?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By baabootoo
  • 1 Post By CVP33
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Anyone need a snell2010 track helmet for under $60? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Seemed like a pretty good deal if you like full face helmets. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scorpion-EXO...epn=5335869999...
    CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Anyone need a snell2010 track helmet for under $60?

Seemed like a pretty good deal if you like full face helmets.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scorpion-EXO...epn=5335869999

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Junior1 is offline Cadillac Owners Racer
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Racecar, 2011 Escalade ESV

Re: Anyone need a snell2010 track helmet for under $60?

Just be careful what you do on track.

Most sanctioning bodies will require a Snell "SA" rating for actual racing. That ebay link is to a motorcyle helmet which would carry a Snell "M" rating.

I'm not an expert but I think that would be fine for autocross and DE events. But as soon as a firesuit is required so is the SA rated helmet.

The difference, IIRC, is the lining is flame retardent in the "SA" (special application)

From Snell:

The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.
    The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than the M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
    The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi-impact test while the M standard does not.
    2005 cadillac cts-v.r #83 nasa st3 . 2011 escalade esv . 2011 sierra denali

Good to know. For the record, if I catch fire, the flame retardant nature of my helmet will be the least of my worries. I only run with chinmotorsports and I only run VIR. CMS accepts both SA and M designations as these are non-competition events. I wish I were running in competitive events, but I'm a weekend racer at best.

http://www.chinmotorsports.com/forum...p?TOPIC_ID=181

Here's the narrative from their website:

The SNELL foundation is the universally recognized body that does testing and certification of Motorsports helmets. They test impact resistance, crushing tolerance, and fire protection, among other things. They provide certifications in 2 categories: "M" (motorcycle) and "SA" (special application).

Chin Motorsports events are all non-competition. So, both SA and M standard helmets are accepted. For full-on competition, only SA is accepted. But that does not occur at Chin events. So, the M is also suitable. Both standards have comparable impact and crushing characteristics. The primary difference is fire protection. SA has fire protection, M does not have fire protection.

The life of the certification is 10 years, and the standard is upgraded every 5 years. So, it works like this: if you have a helmet with a SNELL 95 rating, it was manufactured between 1995 and 1999. It's 'certification' was valid until 2005. SNELL 95 helmets ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE. In 2000, the next standard was issued, SNELL 00. These helmets were manufactured from 2000 to 2004, and have a 10 year life, from 2000 to 2009. SNELL 00 helmets ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE. In 2005, the SNELL 05 standard was released. A helmet with an 05 certification has a 10 year life, until 2014. In 2010, the SNELL 10 was released and is the latest available certification.

Drive Safely, The management

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

I think that I'll stay out of this one, I don't read enough.....................
    CVP33 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by baabootoo View Post
    I think that I'll stay out of this one, I don't read enough.....................
    All good, the deal was 24 hours only. Mine will be in tomorrow.

6104696 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Summit Point, for their non-competitive track events, also accepts SA2000 or M2000 rated helmets. Or at least that was the story for the V-days and their FATT (Friday at the Track) hot lap events as of last year.

Chris...is your wife gonna make you wear the helmet for your daily commutes to work?

LOL if you only knew. My wife has come a long way over the last 10 years. We had a little run in with a SRT-10 with nitrous when I had my 10 second 300c. We ran on the Monitor Merrimac from 50 to 160mph and pulled 6 car lengths on him. My wife's only comment was "Do you feel better now?" And "That wasn't as bad as I thought it would be". So to answer your question.....Yes.

6104696 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

160 on on the bridge tunnel? yikes. but I know (I hope) exactly where you were.....

Yes...2 lanes, no traffic, otherwise no way.

Arrived today. Not bad for $59! It's SNELL2010M confirmed, which will work for my needs. I like the features with all the adjustable vents. Nice fit and appears very well built. The raised, brushed aluminum "S" is kinda cool.

GizmoQ likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.