The dreaded clicking front wheels
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, The dreaded clicking front wheels in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Hello all, I know there have been many posts about the clicking front wheel issue. Is the latest remedy to ...
    ta70raiii is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

The dreaded clicking front wheels

Hello all,

I know there have been many posts about the clicking front wheel issue. Is the latest remedy to simply replace the lug nuts with a different set and ensure they are properly torqued?

I will be heading to the dealer for my first oil change soon, and I'd like to raise this issue while I am there. Any information is appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Re: The dreaded clicking front wheels

My car came from the factory with the new lug nuts and they have recently started clicking.

That said, yes, the latest solution is the new lug nuts and correct torquing.

I'm lucky in that because I switch wheel sets for winter and spring, I get the lug nuts correctly torqued twice a year, so I don't worry about it. In any case the clicking is an annoyance, not a safety issue.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

I always ask the same questions........... Do we KNOW what the torque is by the dealership or anyone else? When did they last have their torque wrench certified? Do they use the proper lube on the threads to get the correct torque? My point is that watch it done yourself with a wrench, and a procedure, that you are sure of.

Club Malibu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V, White, Manual, Bone stock, no sun-roof

Just do this yourself.

I took info from 2 others here and the forum and combined them and they work great together. Credit goes to those 2. I forget their names. I want to thank them again.

1. Use hydraulic jack to lift car

2. Clean wheels and rotor hat

3. Apply a very thin layer of lithium grease to wheel and rotor hat mating surfaces. Very thin.

4. With the wheel in the air, gently tighten lug nuts till they just begin to seat.

5. Torque in star pattern to 40 lb/ft with wheel in the air. Then torque to 50, 60, 70 as much as you can with wheel in air. Depends how strong you are.

6. When you can't do it in the air no more, lower the car till the wheel just barely touches the ground. Barely. Torque in 10 lb/ft increments. If you have to lower the car if the wheel starts spinning at the higher torque values, do so.

7. Torque up to 140 lb/ft

8. Drive car. Allow for one heating/cooling cycle. Re-torque to 140 lb/ft.

FLTRI is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium

Fortunately, mine have never clicked. I did a preemptive strike when my V was brand new. I checked the torque, and they were all over the place on delivery. Backed them all off one at a time, and torqued to 140 pounds in a star pattern. 2 years, never a problem...

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by ta70raiii View Post
    Hello all,

I know there have been many posts about the clicking front wheel issue. Is the latest remedy to simply replace the lug nuts with a different set and ensure they are properly torqued?

I will be heading to the dealer for my first oil change soon, and I'd like to raise this issue while I am there. Any information is appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom
    Please keep us informed on how your visit to the dealership goes, Tom. We're available to you to answer any questions you may have about the process or to check into things further if you feel you need additional support.

Sarah (Assisting Laura and Greg)
    Cadillac Customer Care

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Please keep us informed on how your visit to the dealership goes, Tom. We're available to you to answer any questions you may have about the process or to check into things further if you feel you need additional support.

Sarah (Assisting Laura and Greg)
    Cadillac Customer Care
    If there is a 'process' to fix the clicking that you know of, can you just tell all of us here in this thread? When I first found this site, I was impressed that Cadillac had representatives on the board but I have yet to see a single solution posted by a rep here. I've even PM'd you guys about issues and never heard back with anything constructive aside from offering to make a service appointment for me.

Spearfish25 (Assisting no one but hoping Laura and Greg are having a nice weekend off as their work on this site must be exhausting)
    Cadillac Customer

rjh
    rjh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 ctsv coupe

Just went through this and it is well covered in this thread. 140lbs, cleaning the mating surfaces and a light coat of lithium will solve it. Went by my dealership to tease the service manager and he said they now have the TSB telling them to change the lug nuts and torque to 140. Enjoy.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
    If there is a 'process' to fix the clicking that you know of, can you just tell all of us here in this thread? When I first found this site, I was impressed that Cadillac had representatives on the board but I have yet to see a single solution posted by a rep here. I've even PM'd you guys about issues and never heard back with anything constructive aside from offering to make a service appointment for me.

Spearfish25 (Assisting no one but hoping Laura and Greg are having a nice weekend off as their work on this site must be exhausting)
    Cadillac Customer
    Hello Alex,

We are not certified technicians and cannot provide any technical advice. We are here to assist and stay involved while working with your dealership. We rely on our certified GM dealerships as our eyes and ears in the field towards resolving vehicle concerns. We are here to provide direction to customers by answering warranty and recall information, questions about features and getting them in contact with the appropriate team to further address any question or concern. I apologize if you feel you have not received helpful information or answers from us. We are here to assist our customers the best we can by utilizing our resources available.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.