Used V buying advice
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Used V buying advice in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Hey guys Long time lurker and cts-V enthusiast. Finally looking to make the big step and getting a V. Unfortunately ...
    Gandis is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Used V buying advice

Hey guys

Long time lurker and cts-V enthusiast. Finally looking to make the big step and getting a V. Unfortunately I'm going to have to get a used V coupe, as a brand new one would be out of my budget. Looking for a certified pre-owned for the extended warranty.
    I live in Texas, and there are very limited certified pre-owned cts-v options.
    I did find the car below in Michigan. I already had carchex do an inspection. Everything looks clean, and everything works right, inspector said doesn't see any evidence of rust or repairs. Just a few scratches here and there. Carfax is clean, but from experience it's not very reliable.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=1&Log=0

Link to the pictures from the inspection are below. There does seem to be some rust on the rear control arms and the drive shaft. Not sure if this is normal or not.

http://imgur.com/5blReUH,lhiNwLC,Znf...W4ta,x1PIVrR#4

Any advice on this car would be greatly appreciated. I can PM anyone the login details for the carchex inspection report if they'd like.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Trapspeed is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandis
    Unfortunately I'm going to have to get a used V coupe, as a brand new one would be out of my budget.
    Nothing wrong with that. Think I bought mine new? Let someone else take the beating on it.
    IBMike likes this.

DCV
    DCV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV bone stock

Re: Used V buying advice

Honestly that rust pattern on the exhaust and the rear diff carrier looks odd. The rear diff carrier seems to have quite a bit of rust like it got saltwater on it or something. The down pipes have rust but it looks like some type of whitish spray pattern is on then near whete he tranny is.

vfaninva is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    Good job getting pictures of the underside of the car. Most I've seen are standard exterior/interior shots only. Price seems pretty reasonable for the year/mileage. There does appear to be surface rust and corrosion (from road salt I'm guessing), but not too bad though. It probably wouldn't stop me from buying. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by DCV View Post
    Honestly that rust pattern on the exhaust and the rear diff carrier looks odd. The rear diff carrier seems to have quite a bit of rust like it got saltwater on it or something. The down pipes have rust but it looks like some type of whitish spray pattern is on then near whete he tranny is.
    Yeah

I wasn't too worried about the exhaust rust, figured I would eventually change it anyway. The rear diff carrier and the drive shaft was what had me concerned. Doing some research, the white spray might be rust-oleum or some other rust treatment product or spray. Do you think the rust is a major issue? Never really dealt with it, and don't want it to continue corroding.

Quote Originally Posted by vfaninva View Post
    Good job getting pictures of the underside of the car. Most I've seen are standard exterior/interior shots only. Price seems pretty reasonable for the year/mileage. There does appear to be surface rust and corrosion (from road salt I'm guessing), but not too bad though. It probably wouldn't stop me from buying. Good luck!
    Thanks, had to specifically ask for those pictures to make sure I knew what I was getting. I'm thinking the same thing, surface rust and not a huge issue. My main concern is that it does't continue to corrode and deteriorate.

Quote Originally Posted by Trapspeed View Post
    Nothing wrong with that. Think I bought mine new? Let someone else take the beating on it.
    Same thinking over here!

----------

I'm also worried about why the price is relatively low. Other dealers have similar mileage/year cars listed at around 48-50k...

DCV
    DCV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV bone stock

Well to stop it, it needs to be wire brushed to clean it off and then repainted.

cts-v ls6 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Run a carfax on the car and try to make sure it wasn't a flood car. Lots of them on the market now.

Jack

vfaninva is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by cts-v ls6 View Post
    Run a carfax on the car and try to make sure it wasn't a flood car. Lots of them on the market now.

Jack
    Good point

flatrockguy is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Raven V Sedan, M6, Graphite Rims, Yellow Brembos

Just ran the VIN for GM warranty work and found that most work was basic maintenance other than the following items.

10/20/2011
    ZREG----Regular Vehicle Transaction
    C4586 - Rear Compartment Side Trim Panel Replacement
    8,456 MI
    10/20/2011
    N2388 - Switch - Rear Compartment - Lid Release - Replace
    8,456 MI
    08/29/2011
    B0608 - Rear Bumper Fascia Replacement
    7,408 MI
    06/14/2011
    A1220 - Front Side Door Color/Clear Coat - Right Side
    5,229 MI

jeremy stanke is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe, 2003 CTS
    Please buy it and remove the temptation from me. I have looked at this car online a couple of times and figured the next time I'm in MI if it's still available I would buy it.
    IBMike likes this.

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Carfax is clean, but they have replaced bumper panels? I'd try to verify accident history, if its possible contact the previous owner. Also check for warranty blocks, and any signs of engine modification. You don't want the warranty blocked after it was found to be tampered with. The dealer, a dealer, should be able to check the PCM for tuning.

gatorwilly is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Gandis, It's a Michigan car.. Ever spent a winter in the Detroit area? Lots of salt and pot hole heaven.. A good undercarriage wash should get rid of the white salt residue but the rust areas will remain.. If your looking for a nice 11 coupe, I have one i'm considering selling. Radiant silver, 6AT, wood, suede, moon roof, polished wheels, Ricaro seats and two piece rotors.. I have added Corsa touring, Airaid CAI, and S2T paddle shifters.. 9800 miles. I would ask 48k.. Not certified but warranty till 1/1/15.. PM me if interested.. WW

IBMike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Black Diamond Coupe

Having spent 9 months searching daily before I found a great deal on a used V (2013 Black Diamond Coupe, 6A, loaded, former GM Fleet vehicle, 15k miles for $54k), I'll say there are a lot of pretty good deals that pop up and most go quick. A good deal that stays around long might be an indicator of a problem. I stopped searching in July when I found my car, so I don't know what the going rate for an 11 is but last winter there were some pretty amazing deals, so if you've got time to wait, give it another month or two and prices will drop as we get in the middle of winter.

Quote Originally Posted by flatrockguy View Post
    Just ran the VIN for GM warranty work and found that most work was basic maintenance other than the following items.

10/20/2011
    C4586 - Rear Compartment Side Trim Panel Replacement
    8,456 MI
    10/20/2011
    N2388 - Switch - Rear Compartment - Lid Release - Replace
    8,456 MI
    08/29/2011
    B0608 - Rear Bumper Fascia Replacement
    7,408 MI
    06/14/2011
    A1220 - Front Side Door Color/Clear Coat - Right Side
    5,229 MI
    Does this come up as repairs made under the warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by RaVeNous View Post
    Carfax is clean, but they have replaced bumper panels? I'd try to verify accident history, if its possible contact the previous owner. Also check for warranty blocks, and any signs of engine modification. You don't want the warranty blocked after it was found to be tampered with. The dealer, a dealer, should be able to check the PCM for tuning.
    Only worrying thing about the carfax is the second owner only had the car for 6 months. I would assume certified preowned would already check for tunes/warranty blocks, but then again I don't put much credit in the certified besides the extended warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by IBMike View Post
    Having spent 9 months searching daily before I found a great deal on a used V (2013 Black Diamond Coupe, 6A, loaded, former GM Fleet vehicle, 15k miles for $54k), I'll say there are a lot of pretty good deals that pop up and most go quick. A good deal that stays around long might be an indicator of a problem. I stopped searching in July when I found my car, so I don't know what the going rate for an 11 is but last winter there were some pretty amazing deals, so if you've got time to wait, give it another month or two and prices will drop as we get in the middle of winter.
    Same thing I've been thinking. This one's priced really good though, so it makes you think twice as well.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy stanke View Post
    Please buy it and remove the temptation from me. I have looked at this car online a couple of times and figured the next time I'm in MI if it's still available I would buy it.
    How long have you been seeing it online?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.