Differential overheating and seal leak
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Differential overheating and seal leak in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Last weekend at a driving school on my fifth session, my differential overheating light came on. Of course, I immediately ...
    Trionalaw is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

Differential overheating and seal leak

Last weekend at a driving school on my fifth session, my differential overheating light came on. Of course, I immediately slowed and returned to the paddock. This occurred about 28 minutes into a 30 minute session. The last session of the day was only 20 minutes. The light did not come on.

I replace the original differential fluid with high-performance fluid after my first driving school and the light came on. Three driving schools later, this is the first that it came on. I have to say that I was pushing the car harder than I ever had. That may account for it.

Nonetheless, I took it in. Dealer found a leaking seal and thinks perhaps that the sensor noted the fluid had dropped a little and therefore the light came on. I would suspect that if they have to replace the seal they have to replace the fluid. I wonder if it will charge me the difference between OEM fluid and the higher performance fluid?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jb_bgg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Black/Black V, Manual, Recaros, loaded

Re: Differential overheating and seal leak

The faster you get and the harder you push the sooner you'll need a diff cooler for track use.

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels

The sensor doesn't follow levels. It's a temp sensor. You're just overheating the fluid with aggressive driving. Cooler time!

Trionalaw is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

I guess you are right. I probably should look at it as some sort of achievement since I'm going fast enough to need one!

Have a great weekend.

Jim

cruiser68 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V A6 Sedan Modded :)

Quote Originally Posted by Trionalaw View Post
    I guess you are right. I probably should look at it as some sort of achievement since I'm going fast enough to need one!

Have a great weekend.

Jim
    Gold calipers and a diff cooler are sure signs you are having some fun on the road courses!!!!! I would get it most days over 50F after about 15 minutes worth of hard driving. With a cooler the light never comes on.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.