Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Service employee Joy rides...

5K views 37 replies 24 participants last post by  Cadillac Customer Service 
#1 ·
So I took my 2012 sedan in today to get the 3m fixed a bit, it was peeling slightly and also the driver side window regulator replaced as the window wasnt rolling up Sunday.

So the service invoice says 21577 km in, and 21577 out.

I got into the car and it was at 21591 km. Not a lot, but I looked at the gas and I was about 1/4 less then what I dropped it off at.

I picked this car up between jobs and had ZERO time to turn around and take it into the service bay. The car had been parked out front so I could walk in, get the keys and go. So i phoned the manager as I was leaving the lot and left a voice mail about it, I also took a picture, and then called another manager this evening. Of course no one called back but I will pursue this.

They fixed everything and I am happy with the work and turn around but I dont like the idea someone took my car out and could have bagged the shit out of it, be it 1, 10, 20, 50 km. I know they are going to ask "what do you want" I cant really think of anything, perhaps a full detail and wax but that in its own is risky. They could also say, sorry you didnt bring it in we dont believe you so really I might be jumping the gun there.

Suggestions? Anyone else have this happen? maybe I shouldnt be concerned?

See less See more
#2 ·
I had this happen with the 59 Lincoln. I took it in to get it aligned, and went shopping with a friend. Next thing I know my boyfriend is calling me saying his son called to tell him I let some guy drive the car all around town and he had seen it go through 3 or 4 times. Then his ex wife calls and says the same. Well, he had to drive it to make sure it was straight, right? Luckily David knows the guy so it wasn't a big deal. Plus he said "I thoroughly enjoyed test driving it for safety. It was a real honor" when I picked it up LOL. Lame small towns anyway.

#3 ·
I dont mind the test drive, but it was some 3m and a window regulator. They did my alignment, twice with road tests before I took it to another shop and they too took it for a road test and I didnt blink an eye. I cant explain why a road test is needed for this service.

#5 ·
You can't prove they hooned it, so insisting on some kind of compensation because you mistrust them is probably not going to make a good working relationship. What you can do is keep them honest next time. If you haven't already, you can tell them now that unless you're mistaken they drove it 14km and seemed to use a noticeable amount of fuel in that short distance, and you don't understand why they needed to drive it given the nature of the repair. It's just not what you expected and you're concerned that your beautiful investment gets the gentlest possible treatment.

And when dropping off and your next service, reset a trip odometer, average speed, average economy, note mileage and fuel level, and discuss with the advisor exactly how much and what type of operation your vehicle needs to be subjected to for that service. That way they know you're watching closely, and hooning is unlikely.

#6 ·
+1. Most people would be sick to see these little lube techs/journey men blasting down the bad streets with customer cars. I worked with a guy that lost his job for doing that. This dude would grab keys off board time and time again. He finally lost his job when the new Gxp go cart came out. This guy would dump tire all the time in customer cars till a customer checked all car stats then after service talked professionally with SM.

#9 ·
I have had specific conversations with service managers, when I've had high performance cars. I check the milage before and after. I take pictures etc. I can't say for sure that no one has ever had fun on a test drive. The only way you'd know, would be to install a gopro or some kind of dash cam. The thought has occured to me; however, I would hesitate to leave my car at a shop that I suspected allowed that type of thing. Trust but verify and all that, I know....

I typically figure if they put 5 or so miles on it, no one is abusing the car. Its a tough situation to deal with before and after the fact. If you have the choice, and the survice manager isn't helpful when you are worried about it, take it somewhere else.

#10 ·
Yeah. I take pictures of the odometer, I also run the onstar app so it has a snapshot of the car's condition when I bring it in (inc mileage and fuel level), and I take a screenshot of that. I already caught them once when something shady happened, it had been taken out for not a whole lot of miles but more than just a few, and it was missing 1/4 tank of fuel. When I talked with the service manager about it, he was really obviously nervous that I was bringing it to his attention. He even half-mumbled something about how it was lucky I took a picture of the odo and a screenshot of the onstar app beforehand. I sat down with him and asked him to tell me how 1/4 tank of gas went missing, but all he could do was promise to give me a free tank of gas next time I brought it in. To this day there's been no explanation of what happened.

But at least now they know I take precautions when I bring it in, and since then I haven't had any issues of that kind. This is the downside of owning a high performance car, the temptation to hoon it is too much for a lot of service guys, who are in the business because they're car guys.

#11 ·
I know my wagon could have been taken for a joy ride immediately before delivery. My first V had 8 miles on it, four of those from my test drive. My V wagon had 26 miles on it when it had only supposedly been driven off the truck. Hmmmmm........now I just take pics and I run the Cadillac app as well. So far, no tomfoolery at the two service visits I've had with the wagon, and I had none with my prior V sedan.

Further, unless there is a major service, I reschedule my work so that I can sit with my car for routine service. I can tell if they take it out because mine is usually the only one with a loud exhaust....and I can hear it clearly from inside the service area.

Sometimes it's a pain in the butt to own a high-po car. OTOH....first world problems. :)

#12 ·
I reset Everything on the DIC before my car goes in. Average speed, both odometers, lateral G meter, fuel mileage, and I try to take it in almost out of gas. Yeah, they could also reset it all before I pick it up, but odds are they won't. Luckily, I've never had an issue. They put a mile or two on it, if that...

#14 ·
Hello T.J.T,

I am sorry to hear that you experienced this at your dealership. I see that you have gotten some great advice from other community members about bringing up this concern to the dealership’s service manager. If you would like us to get involved as well, I would suggest reaching out to Cadillac Customer Care in your region since it seems you are not located in the United States. I would be more than happy to provide you with the number to reach out to them if you could let me know where you are located. Thank you very much for your time and please keep us updated as to what you decide.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#15 ·
I had the exact same issue with the dealership in Edmonton they took it out for 40 km and a quarter tank of gas. When they phone to ask if I was happy with my visit I complained but never heard anything back.

The mileage reported was also the same going in and out. To make matters worse, the service advisor said that it was the most fun test ride he's ever had.

How are you supposed to trust a dealer like that? This was only a few months ago and they want me to come back for more work.

#17 ·
Hello Loose,

I am sorry to hear that you have experienced this as well. I would suggest reaching out to Cadillac of Canada regarding this issue to see if you could file a complaint against the dealership. Their number is 1-888-446-2000 and they are operational Monday through Friday, 7:30AM to 11:30PM EST and 7:30AM to 6PM EST on Saturdays. Please keep us updated. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#16 ·
Thanks for the replies. I put another call into the manager today and still no call back.

I just logged a 13 hour work day and I clearly dont have time to go in and sort this out so I may go Gregory route and deal with Cadillac customer care. I will give them tomorrow to call me back and at least try to explain it then I will go above them and talk to someone who will offer me service.

Again its depressing the service I have gotten from them has been generally good, but something this silly and amateur happens and they dont seem to care

#23 ·
Hello T.J.T,

Thanks for keeping us updated. Let us know what you decide to do and keep us updated if you give our Customer Care team a call. If you need any assistance locating the number in your region, please be sure to let me know. Thank you very much for your time, I’ll be looking for your future updates.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

----------

It would be nice if stuff like this never happens , period. At this point what good does it make to say Sorry ? I just dont think GM stresses enough to thier dealers how to better take care of thier people and thier cars.
Hello Car dude V,

Contacting us creates a file and documents the concern with the dealership in our system. Our dealesrhips are independently owned and operated so there are some things that we do not have control of at the dealership level. We work together with our dealerships to address the concerns of our customers and it is important that we are on the same page. Documentation of issues like this helps to make sure that happens. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to private message me and I can look into them.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#19 ·
My buddy gets a page if his V exceeds a pre-set speed if he sets the alert. No idea what the product is, but that is effective if not extreme.

Also, I would NOT reset avg speed, mileage, trip, etc. They can simply reset it at will to provide whatever data they want to create. Instead, reset it en route to the dealership. The delta v for any additional inputs they put in will be greater from whatever you do over the few miles to the dealer.

#21 ·
If it were me & my Cad ( I realize that it's not), I would as a minimum:
Notify Cadillac Customer Service immediately so that the incident is well documented.
Post the dealer's business name so that others are at least forewarned of the possibility of this issue repeating itself.
And if there is a next trip to that dealer, or any dealer, I would notify the service manager in advance that you will
notify Cadillac Customer Satisfaction, and ask that if a test drive is required, you would like to go along.
When they refuse that request, and they probably will, ask that the Service manager himself test drive the vehicle.
You do know that if they do notify you about the incident, they are going to lie anyway, or claim they are looking into it,
and you will probably never hear from them again.

#24 ·
I heard back today and it was a communication error. The car was taken in for the window regulator and the 3m clear bra. Well after they finished the regulator they signed the car out showing the original KM at that point they had to drive the car to the 3m location (about 6km away) and do the work there.

I should have been told about this and the manager apologized but I wont take it further then that. I cant prove they bagged on it and they had a story that made sense. They did also fix the hood 3m where I damaged it and replaced the whole sheet so I will let it go.

#25 ·
Hello T.J.T,

Thanks for posting an update. I am glad to hear that the service manager called you back and gave you the story. I am glad that his story makes sense and that you feel confident accepting it, but I do apologize that you weren’t told about it. Please feel free to reach out to the Customer Care team in your area if you ever have this concern again. Thanks for keeping us all informed and if you have any further questions, be sure to private message me. Thank you for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

G
#26 ·
I used to work at a dealer... Joy rides do happen... Alot!!!!
Every car in service "had" to be test driven after work. That was nuts to me. These cars were beat, abused and sometimes damaged.
For me, I had an F150 Lightning when they came out in 1999. After the first service visit, I checked rear wheel wells and they were loaded with tire rubber. I learned my own lesson. So, now with any work I have done, I make sure the gas tank is on E... As in 10 miles left. I explain to them that they are not to drive it unless I am in the car. This has worked well for me on all of my vehicles since then.

#27 ·
Sorry about your trouble, at least there was a viable reason. Check out my thread from last year:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...7-dealership-put-excessive-miles-my-12-a.html

Recap: James Wood Cadillac in Denton is AWFUL. Never go there unless you want your personal property disrespected.

Follow-up: Sewell Cadillac in Grapevine was 100% professional and completely fixed my diff by replacing in less than a day. Will be going there forever! Love Sewell Cadillac Grapevine.

#32 ·
Everyone keeps forgetting my dealership rules that I've posted many times. These have worked well for me.

DEALERSHIP RULES

RULE NUMBER ONE: ALWAYS stay with the car. Always. For dealer work, tires, etc. ALWAYS STAY WITH THE CAR.

RULE NUMBER TWO: NEVER let them wash the car. NEVER EVER. NEVER.

RULE NUMBER THREE: DON'T go in for something you can fix yourself or something minor. JUST DON'T. They will mess it up worse. Take your time and fix it yourself.

RULE NUMBER FOUR: ALWAYS establish with a tire shop that the rims are perfect when you get there, before work begins. Have him write 'All rims in perfect condition' on the ticket. ALWAYS bring the car in with spotlessly clean rims. This way, you will have something to fall back on when they scratch them. They always scratch them.

RULE NUMBER FIVE: NEVER assume anyone is competent at their job or has any idea what they are talking about. This goes double for service managers. EVERYONE IS BASICALLY INCOMPETENT and just looking to get finished as quickly as possible. So, you need to recognize this. NEVER assume anyone at any car place knows more than you and NEVER trust their judgment.

#34 ·
Get the complete history of where your car has been, when it was driven and how fast with the LandAirSea tracking key logger. $135 and no fees. Track on a map or Google Earth and printable text report. The same device used on two episodes of Breaking Bad. AAA batteries can last weeks with 60 hrs. continuous. Amazon has it. Easy to conceal. I place mine in the battery compartment of the wagon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.