Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Cadillac has an opportunity here

3K views 42 replies 11 participants last post by  thebigjimsho 
#1 ·
Regarding super wagons, we all know there are only two available in the US: The CTS-V wagon and the Mercedes E63 S wagon. The 2014 E63 S wagon has more power and AWD to help with traction, and on paper it's a monster. But in reality, on a track, it's more like this:

Doesn't feel special. Everything I've heard about the old E63 wagon was that it was a hairy beast to drive all the time. The all wheel drive makes this one tame, almost docile. Manhandling it will still make it slide, but the magic is kind of gone. It's a fun drive, but not the wild child I was led to believe it once was.

And that transmission. It feels like it's four gears behind. The delay pulling a paddle to the next gear engaging might as well be a week.
http://jalopnik.com/driving-the-shit-out-of-the-best-performance-cars-you-c-1371519527

Without getting into the validity of AWD in general, there are plenty of examples that prove that AWD works at supercar levels, this is an opportunity for Cadillac. In that same article, they tested the C7 Z51 Vette and it's pretty clear that the winds are shifting. GM is now making the cream of the crop, and Mercedes/BMW isn't.

If everything we believe to be true about the upcoming V3 CTS-V is at least mostly accurate (less weight, somewhat more HP, gen 3 magneride etc) there is an opportunity here for Cadillac to own the superwagon market. Clearly GM has figured out what makes a sports car incredible to drive, and I don't expect the V3 CTS-V to be any different. As I see it the real hurdle would be convincing them they need to make a wagon variant of the CTS, but if they did, a gen 3 CTS-V wagon would have the potential to easily become the best one out there, even vs cars that aren't sold in the US like the Audi RS6 Avant.

Other countries like great wagons. Cadillac has a branding problem in other countries. The solution writes itself. Come on Cadillac, do the right thing.

See less See more
#41 ·
The one you posted is definitely not the Twin Turbo Model, it's a 2011 they did not come out with the TT until 2012, somebody said under the comments please correct this mistake if you look at the car you posted. So the real answer is the 2wd Twin turbo model (2012 and 2013) is not listed. What threw me off was the AWD model should be listed as a 2014 model, the 2013 at least here in the States was definitely just like my 2012. The reality is it would be a really close race. At any rate while the benz is great and no regrets getting it, I am getting Vette fever for a 2014 and may get one of these for some road course racing, that would be fun. Looks like GM did a great job with this car.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.