Maybe imperfect but still a great automobile
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Maybe imperfect but still a great automobile in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; On the last day of my road trip, I noticed a couple of imperfections in the bodywork. The car had ...
    Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

Maybe imperfect but still a great automobile

On the last day of my road trip, I noticed a couple of imperfections in the bodywork. The car had the gray film of a rainy drive, and the morning light hit it at just the right (or wrong) angle, and I could see the passenger side fender and door didn't *quite* line up, and the fuel filler door isn't *quite* flush with the body all around.

Imperfect fit by Atomic Buffalo, on Flickr

Not quite flush by Atomic Buffalo, on Flickr

Overuse by Atomic Buffalo, on Flickr

Anyone noticed this on their own V? (If you haven't before, but now you can't not see it, sorry.)

I figure if I've stared at the car so many times for so long and I only now notice this, it ain't so bad.

1997BlackETC: nobody cares how your Mercedes compares or how this helps validate your decision

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

V-Horse is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Maybe imperfect but still a great automobile

You missed the big scratch...;-) jk. Another good reason to keep that beautiful Vagon clean..

Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC

My fuel door has the same alignment (and isnt fully painted on the inside) but overall the panels are aligned well enough.... The joys of mass production.

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels

It's not just mass production. The Germans and Japanese mass produce their cars and their QC and fitment is generally better. GM is just lazy when it comes to perfection. It's like they designed the perfect car but lost interest during the last 5 minutes of production. So they look at the gas door and the rear bumper flushness and say 'ah, good enough'.

Maybe the old people who used to buy Cadillacs had such bad cataracts that they couldn't see these issues. Probably too deaf to hear the rattles too. Now the young crowd is buying them and we see and hear the imperfections.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    RapidRob, RogersV and RaVeNous like this.

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

None of this on the Mercedes

Pie in the sky...
    RaVeNous likes this.

V-Horse is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Important when making Pie = Support dough when fitting, and chill before baking...
    thebigjimsho likes this.

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

I bet you can find German and Japanese cars with the same takes-three-months-and-dirt-and-perfect-light-to-notice fitment issues. Probably some that are more obvious as well.

As for the rear bumper flushness on the wagon... I can't recall seeing such an acute angle on another car. It looks to me like a case of choosing dramatic styling over manufacturability and flaw-hiding.

Quote Originally Posted by 1997BlackETC View Post
    None of this on the Mercedes
    But when it looks like crap...
    RaVeNous likes this.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

So when I saw this thread I rushed out to my wagon to find that the fuel filler door is well-aligned with the rest of the car. If it's off, I don't notice it. Good point and good thread, though.

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

I'm blind. All I see is a really nice car. Ok, I slightly noticed the gas cap. Dark colors are not for people with OCD. I still love black, I always have, but I have to come to terms with the fact that it shows every imperfection....

GM-4-LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 V Coupe, 2013 Escalade ESV, 2015 Escalade on Order

I will say this now and again...no car is perfect. With that being said, I love my V Coupe more than any other car I have ever had!!!

I will live with the imperfections and hope GM steps up their game on the V3.

6104696 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I have owned many cars. For years, the single best "off the assembly line" perfect car (as far as teh eye could see) that I bought, in terms of body panel alignment, overall fit and finish, no warranty items for years, etc., was my 2002 Suburban built in Mexico. OK, durability and longevity were not perfect later on, but the assembly line built the interior and exterior perfectly.

The single worst? It's replacement, which was a comparable 2009 suburban, except this one was built in Arlington Texas. Mechanically perfect (or seemingly so, to-date) so no notable warranty items, but there were horrendous paint runs along the inside of the hood and the edge of the hood near the grille, the rear hatch and rear window didn't line up right, the body panel gaps were huge and inconsistent (and you may recall that the current generation of GM trucks were supposed to have greatly improved in that area.

I saw most of this when I took delivery. I figured it's a truck and I actually use it like one so it didn't really bother me...it was just disappointing to see the Mexican line doing a better job than the Texas line.

Meanwhile, the 2012 Honda Pilot (built in Ohio) that we bought for my wife last year was also an absolutely perfect specimen off the assembly line (well, to the extent that the naked eye could tell anything).

I think my 2010 CTSV (and my 2004, for that matter) we built pretty well but both required minor warranty work shortly after delivery)

FLTRI is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium

My drivers door was slightly misaligned on my Vagon when I bought it, looked the same as yours. I pointed it out to the Sales Manager. He took it to their body shop, and a couple hours I got it back in perfect alignment...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.