Is there a trick to getting my to recognize a 128GB Usb Drive?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Is there a trick to getting my to recognize a 128GB Usb Drive? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I bought a Lexar 128GB drive but when i plug it in the V it says searching for couple of ...
    mrkool is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V, Harley VROD (Night Rod)

Is there a trick to getting my to recognize a 128GB Usb Drive?

I bought a Lexar 128GB drive but when i plug it in the V it says searching for couple of seconds and than it goes to XM. The drive is formatted ti FAT32 i even tried making two partitions on the drive but no go. Am i doing something wrong or some drives just don't work with the V?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Re: Is there a trick to getting my to recognize a 128GB Usb Drive?

The drive has to be a certain drive/file format, and I've heard that many of the high capacity drives have issues. If that is the case, there isn't a fix, you need to use a thumb drive that is compatable.

mrkool is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V, Harley VROD (Night Rod)

yeah i was afraid of that. i reformatted the drive and it says the device is not recognized and to eject it this sucks.

marcusp23 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan

I just used a 32GB drive this morning, and it worked great. Loaded up a ton of songs onto the hard drive on my way into work

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

I keep a few spare 4g flash drives in the car for music. It works quite well

bbradyc5 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

128gb thumb drive probably exceeds the size that the USB port is capable of supporting. Similar to your smartphone and it only supporting "x" gb SD card.

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

You're sure you used fat32 and not exfat, right? IIRC Windows 7 only does fat32 from the command line.

If you only do one 31gb basic primary fat32 partition and leave the rest of the space unallocated, can the car read it then? That would tell you whether it's a size limit or something else.

edit: Maybe the car only supports fat16 or fat12? or doesn't support LBA48 needed to go beyond a 127GB drive?

RobF300 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan HIS, 2012 CTS4 coupe- Her's

personally dont like loading the hard drive with music, it tends to sort them where it sees fit. Not sure if im doing something wrong or not but it just seems easiest to play them off the USB drive and leave the hard drive empty

especially annoying with continuous play live CDs, I guess it wants to alphabetize everything.

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

I just keep an iPod Classic in the car; the Caddy's iPod interface is pretty good.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.