Cadillac Owners Forum banner

I want to learn to replace [brake] pads but want a tutor present

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  baabootoo 
#1 ·
I took my 2012 CTS V coupe in for an oil change yesterday. The mileage is just over 29,000. I was advised my disc pads were almost metal to metal. My service representative knew I was going to a driving school this Saturday and told me I ran the risk of damaging the rotors which are a very expensive item. Therefore, I had to have the disc brakes replaced at the dealership.

I was given two options. The high-performance option (which he said had some ceramic in them. I’m going to check the part number to determine the composition. I did not think the OEM disc pads had any ceramic.) had a $100 discount per axle but still the cost was $875. Generic pads would’ve ran $475. Obviously, I went with the high-performance option.

I have never had to replace disc pads at 29,000 miles. I took my 2008 M3 sedan to at least nine driving schools and did not have to replace the discs (and rotors which I think is planned obsolescence) until over 40,000 miles. Didn’t cost me anything under BMW’s maintenance plan.

In any event, I want to learn how to replace disc pads. From reading on the Internet and watching videos I think I can do it. I am halfway through my lease so I suspect I may need to replace the discs again. I want to do it myself.
However, I want to have a plan B in place. I’m looking for someone in the Cincinnati area who would actually tutor me as I do it so that if I run into trouble I have a safety net. Of course, I would pay them for their time.

Much appreciated.

Jim

See less See more
#2 ·
I was advised my disc pads were almost metal to metal.
OK, first, the proper terminology is "brake pads". If you go to the auto parts place and ask to buy "disc pads" they'll look at you funny. :) I adjusted the thread title to clarify.

I was given two options. The high-performance option (which he said had some ceramic in them. I’m going to check the part number to determine the composition. I did not think the OEM disc pads had any ceramic.) had a $100 discount per axle but still the cost was $875. Generic pads would’ve ran $475. Obviously, I went with the high-performance option.
I believe the OEM pads are semi-metallic, which are generally higher performance than ceramic pads. $875 (with a $200 discount already taken off the top) to replace the pads is pretty mind-blowing, so you're definitely smart to want to learn to do the pads yourself.

I have never had to replace disc pads at 29,000 miles. I took my 2008 M3 sedan to at least nine driving schools and did not have to replace the discs (and rotors which I think is planned obsolescence) until over 40,000 miles.
Discs are rotors; you had the pads and rotors replaced, not the discs and rotors.

And if you can do 40,000 miles of street driving and 9+ track days on stock pads and rotors without needing to replace them, you're not braking hard enough! :tisk: The V's got some killer brakes, so when you get it out there on track, don't be afraid to progressively push it deeper into the braking zones. :thumbsup:

In any event, I want to learn how to replace [brake] pads. From reading on the Internet and watching videos I think I can do it. I am halfway through my lease so I suspect I may need to replace the [pads] again. I want to do it myself.
However, I want to have a plan B in place. I’m looking for someone in the Cincinnati area who would actually tutor me as I do it so that if I run into trouble I have a safety net.
Like I said, you're definitely smart to want to learn to do it yourself. Brakes are pretty simple, really, and there's plenty of opportunity for savings. I can't help you, as I'm a bit out of the way, but hopefully someone else can chime in.

#3 ·
Next time your dealer says you need new brakes, keep the old ones. And tell him/her you will show these old brakes to the online community.

How many track days have you done? Because 29,000 is not nearly enough to wear down your pads unless you've lived on the track...

#4 ·
I wish I had enough hours in the day to change my pads. Admirable you want to learn. My wife got fleeced recently at her dealer for brake pads, which of course I had to pay for.....sigh.....l tried to tell her she was getting ripped...but she wouldn't believe me.....it was either pay the $$$ or suffer a mad momma...

This is one of the most common dealer scams.

So I want to learn to do it, too, to keep my wife from being ripped again.

#6 ·
AAIIIC

thank you for your comments. Terminology learned. With the M3 both the brakes and rotors had to be changed.

Appreciated.

Jim

----------

Interesting. I just spoke to the dealership. The $200 discount was on the labor. I was "only" charged $278 when it should have cost $513@$107 per hour!

----------

I used to be able to put shocks on a car, the exhaust system, points, distributor, rotor, plugs and even time it by adjusting the points until the radio antenna quit shaking. It was a trick my uncle taught me. He had been a combat engineer in World War II.

My youngest daughter who was 12 seems to have the car fever. She helped me murdered the car and install AirRaid intake. I bought a brake bleeder kit to bleed the brakes next time. I watched a guy in a driving school changed his brake pads on a second generation M5 (the one before that E 39 ) and it didn't seem all that difficult to me.

Part of the reason is to spend quality time with my daughter.

This post has been deleted
#11 · (Edited)
Seriously, just look for some how to videos, even from other cars. It took me 3 hours to change the rotors and pads on my SRT8, and I'm not by any means a wrencher. I've never attempted things alone...for the most part either, so I know where you are coming from. Worst case is, you mess them up and THEN pay someone to finish it right, there isn't much you could really screw up permanently. I'd at least try it, its rewarding when you can do things yourself. Just DON'T step on the brake pedal during the install, or you'll have to bleed out the system with new fluid and reset everything. It took longer to get the tires on and off than it did to work on the actual brakes, and you don't even have rotors to change which is even easier.

Make sure you have a good breaker bar socket for the lugs, and a rubber mallet, although I guess in your case the rotors are staying on. Getting the rotors off was a big pain, but the pads took about 20 seconds. I'm not familiar with the V brakes yet, so there may be some other tools, punches or something you need to pop things off - do a search.

#13 ·
Interesting. I just spoke to the dealership. The $200 discount was on the labor. I was "only" charged $278 when it should have cost $513@$107 per hour!

Much appreciated,

Jim

----------

I have gone to a total of five single track days in two years. In other words, at the time the pads were replaced all around I had been to for single days. I even know the total track time because with http://www.1010thsmotorsports.com/page/page/5236308.htm
you get a minimum of two hours and 20 minutes a day. Sometimes two hours and 30 minutes depending on how the schedule works out.

I was told that the pads were getting ready to go metal on metal. I used to turn brake drums and rotors when I was in high school. I know what that could mean. The more I think of it, I set myself up. The service department knew I had a driving school that Saturday. The oil change was set up for Wednesday. Pretty much had to get the pads.

I should have taken the time to run the car up to JUST BMW owned by John Gadberry. When I moved to Cincinnati in 1990 a friend of mine who took care of my BMWs in Toledo, Ohio, recommended John. I was changing my own oil at that time. I stop by to introduce myself and ask him if he could change the service light for me after I change my own oil. I told him I would pay him for that. He took me out to my car and in 30 seconds showed me how I could change the light myself.

Over the years, he is taking care of my E36 M3, my E46 M3 and my E90 M3. He is totally trustworthy. I never tracked the E36 and sold it at 88,000 miles with the original clutch and original pads and rotors! At 65,000 miles and probably 6 track days I change the rotors and pads on the E46. Dealership quoted close to $1300. $850 with same parts with John.

The E90 had a four-year 50,000 mile maintenance plan. I think at 46,000 miles the dealership change the pads and rotors. Didn’t cost me anything.

I have now learned something. I should have taken the car to John before agreeing to the pads. In fact, I had him change the OEM differential fluid to high-performance fluid because I knew he would be far more reasonable.

I guess I thought because the car weight 4200 pounds I would burn through pads quicker. However, the E90 weighed 3750 pounds and I think the E46 close to 3600 pounds. And I suspect Brembo’s, which are certainly better brakes, may also be longer-lasting. Maybe I’m wrong on that. But I do know that BMW high-performance brakes were constantly criticized leading to the F1 now having Brembo’s.
You probably saw my response to Spearfish 25 who advised me that it takes about 60 minutes to do the entire job. Labor quoted was $513@$107 per hour but I was given a $200 discount!

Lesson learned. Dealerships are dealerships to the core.

As always, I appreciate your insight.

Jim

#16 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.