V Sport First Test - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, V Sport First Test in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Considering the Ford Taurus SHO is 4300+, this could be quite the rocket on the track in al-wheel drive. I've ...
    baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Re: V Sport First Test

Considering the Ford Taurus SHO is 4300+, this could be quite the rocket on the track in al-wheel drive. I've raced the SHOs at Road America in less than ideal conditions, and they're no slouch in the corners. Imagine 60 HP more, and 300# less weight!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondWhtV View Post
    baabootoo....19 miles? Do you really drive with that light of a throttle?
    Yes, when I'm going for mileage.

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

Quote Originally Posted by RaVeNous View Post
    But....the Vsport isn't really that impressive for a $70,000 car either
    This. THIS. Yes I like the Vsport, I like the Brembos, the gen 3 magneride, the twin turbo V6. Clearly it drives well, better than its German rivals. It appears to be a great car. But at $70k it's no longer a good deal, and it's going to be an EXTREMELY hard sell against MBs and BMWs. $70k, are you kidding me?

Cadillac cannot afford to price cars the same as their German pals. Competing isn't enough, pricing close to them and providing a notably better driving experience isn't enough. It needs to severely undercut the competition, not just match their pricing. I can tell you if I had $70k to spend on a car right now it would not be a CTS Vsport. It would be a brand new 2014 V wagon, lol. But even if I couldn't get a V2, for $70k it would be something else. I mean that's Audi S6 pricing, it's E550 AWD pricing, it's even higher than BMW M3 pricing. And yes the M3 is a smaller car, but it performs better than the Vsport. Significantly better. And the E550, I mean it's not slow, it's a twin turbo 4.6 liter V8. And it has AWD, and even when I configured a ton of tasty options like the 7.1 HK sound system and all the electronic goodies, the driver assist package etc it was STILL under $70k, making the MB look like the bargain compared to the Vsport.

The point is that sort of price to performance ratio is what I'm used to from ze Germans. You pay a bit more for sort of middle of the road performance, and you get a nice car. I expect better from Cadillac, I expect that kind of performance to come at a lower price tag. I think they're trying to capitalize on the V branding too soon, I don't think the market will support it. I would recommend it to a friend because I think it's a good car, but I don't think most people are even going to look at it when you can get a nice upper level 5 series or a genuinely loaded E550 for the same money.
    RGaret likes this.

musclecar6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 V sedan crystal red/ light titanium A6, 2010 GS LPE 650

I agree. If a car enthusiast like us has $ 70,000 to spend, it would be for a 2014 CTS-V, not a watered down 2014 CTS-V Sport. Makes our V's look like a great value compared to what we know the V3 is going to cost. Look for a loaded up V3 to head north of $90,000 as it more clearly competes with the M5 rather than trying to straddle the M3 and M5.

RGaret is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
    This. THIS. Yes I like the Vsport, I like the Brembos, the gen 3 magneride, the twin turbo V6. Clearly it drives well, better than its German rivals. It appears to be a great car. But at $70k it's no longer a good deal, and it's going to be an EXTREMELY hard sell against MBs and BMWs. $70k, are you kidding me?

Cadillac cannot afford to price cars the same as their German pals. Competing isn't enough, pricing close to them and providing a notably better driving experience isn't enough. It needs to severely undercut the competition, not just match their pricing. I can tell you if I had $70k to spend on a car right now it would not be a CTS Vsport. It would be a brand new 2014 V wagon, lol. But even if I couldn't get a V2, for $70k it would be something else. I mean that's Audi S6 pricing, it's E550 AWD pricing, it's even higher than BMW M3 pricing. And yes the M3 is a smaller car, but it performs better than the Vsport. Significantly better. And the E550, I mean it's not slow, it's a twin turbo 4.6 liter V8. And it has AWD, and even when I configured a ton of tasty options like the 7.1 HK sound system and all the electronic goodies, the driver assist package etc it was STILL under $70k, making the MB look like the bargain compared to the Vsport.

The point is that sort of price to performance ratio is what I'm used to from ze Germans. You pay a bit more for sort of middle of the road performance, and you get a nice car. I expect better from Cadillac, I expect that kind of performance to come at a lower price tag. I think they're trying to capitalize on the V branding too soon, I don't think the market will support it. I would recommend it to a friend because I think it's a good car, but I don't think most people are even going to look at it when you can get a nice upper level 5 series or a genuinely loaded E550 for the same money.
    THANK YOU! This is the kind of reaction I was looking for when I started this thread. Given the choice between a BMW, Cadillac, MB, or an AUDI all at the same price, I am definitely not going to choose a Cadillac. Part of the appeal of the V2 was that I could smoke the German rivals and save $20k in the process. Sorry, but that is just my preference. I will never forget when I returned my BMW lease the salesperson said "What did you get instead of a BMW". I said "A Cadillac CTS V". She said "You cant compare their car to mine" and I said "I can and it costs $20k less. Give me yours for the same price and we have a deal". Well, you can imagine the look she gave me. I think the new CTS is a vast improvement and demonstrates how far GM has come, but they have to do better than the Germans and for less money given the history of the past 30 years. The Cimarron maybe a long time ago, but I still remember it.
    Tedboss1 likes this.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Quote Originally Posted by musclecar6 View Post
    I agree. If a car enthusiast like us has $ 70,000 to spend, it would be for a 2014 CTS-V, not a watered down 2014 CTS-V Sport. Makes our V's look like a great value compared to what we know the V3 is going to cost. Look for a loaded up V3 to head north of $90,000 as it more clearly competes with the M5 rather than trying to straddle the M3 and M5.
    I don't think it'll get up there. I'd say $80k at the most fully loaded. Remember, my V wagon stickers at $72k and change and I got it for, let us say, some thousands less than that.

In any case, we'll see, and it is true, the V3 will have to step up the interior/exterior quality. Loose driver's side carpet (c'mon now! it's been six model years and I KNOW we will hear about a 2014 V owner complaining about the loose driver's side carpet!) and cheap black plastic center consoles will not be well-tolerated in that price range; nor will clicky wheels or noisy supercharger isolators.

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by neuronbob View Post
    I don't think it'll get up there. I'd say $80k at the most fully loaded. Remember, my V wagon stickers at $72k and change and I got it for, let us say, some thousands less than that.

In any case, we'll see, and it is true, the V3 will have to step up the interior/exterior quality. Loose driver's side carpet (c'mon now! it's been six model years and I KNOW we will hear about a 2014 V owner complaining about the loose driver's side carpet!) and cheap black plastic center consoles will not be well-tolerated in that price range; nor will clicky wheels or noisy supercharger isolators.
    Fully loaded Vsport is $80k. The V will for sure be well above $80k

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Fully loaded Vsport is $80k. The V will for sure be well above $80k
    Nope. The fully loaded V-Sport Premium is $69,995 according to C&D and MT. The new V could be above $80k but I am hoping not.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    Wouldn't the V Sport be a nice car for the wife?

Jud
    Jud

Quote Originally Posted by JFJr View Post
    Wouldn't the V Sport be a nice car for the wife?

Jud
    Maybe the ex :-)

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Rgaret, what are the 2 ny dealerships you dealt with?

Guys the cts v3 will be the spiritual successor to the sts-v in all but name. Most notably, size and features. The 2009 STS-V MSRP was $81,795. Granted the engine was hand built and the interior probably cost GM an arm and a leg since they hired the German company that did maybach interiors to do it. And they were a limited production vehicle. But figure in 6 years of inflation taking us to 2015 (that 81795 is just under 90,000 in 2013) and your right around 95 g's. 95 g's is exactly what the e63 is base.

I applaud Cadillac for having the balls to price their cars competitively with their competitors. Cadillac isn't trying to be the discount luxury brand of the world as well it shouldn't. There are plenty of people who are willing to go Cadillac even if its not at a discount to the German competitors. Of course there will be people who will leave Cadillac as a result of this but it's overall a good move that will pay off in cadillac's future. I believe that the product is ready to be priced competitively with the German products.

Service is a whole other thing. Paying 100k for a car and getting the service I've experienced at some dealers is unacceptable.
    RippyPartsDept likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    Rgaret, what are the 2 ny dealerships you dealt with?

Guys the cts v3 will be the spiritual successor to the sts-v in all but name. Most notably, size and features. The 2009 STS-V MSRP was $81,795. Granted the engine was hand built and the interior probably cost GM an arm and a leg since they hired the German company that did maybach interiors to do it. And they were a limited production vehicle. But figure in 6 years of inflation taking us to 2015 (that 81795 is just under 90,000 in 2013) and your right around 95 g's. 95 g's is exactly what the e63 is base.

I applaud Cadillac for having the balls to price their cars competitively with their competitors. Cadillac isn't trying to be the discount luxury brand of the world as well it shouldn't. There are plenty of people who are willing to go Cadillac even if its not at a discount to the German competitors. Of course there will be people who will leave Cadillac as a result of this but it's overall a good move that will pay off in cadillac's future. I believe that the product is ready to be priced competitively with the German products.

Service is a whole other thing. Paying 100k for a car and getting the service I've experienced at some dealers is unacceptable.
    Sarant Cadillac, where I got my car, is the place that turned me away. Paul Conte in Freeport, NY are the guys who took care of business for me. If I do get another Cadillac, I will get it from them.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

I can't wait for the 590hp turbo LT1 V3 weighing 3970lbs to TROUNCE the V2(especially well above 100mph) and make it blend in with the V1. Doesn't matter if it is $90K, it will sell well...
    Guy.Seminerio likes this.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Thanks rgaret

pato is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    I can't wait for the 590hp turbo LT1 V3 weighing 3970lbs to TROUNCE the V2(especially well above 100mph) and make it blend in with the V1. Doesn't matter if it is $90K, it will sell well...
    Wut? 590?

youknooow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V 1 OF 3 BLK ICE & TANGO RED

Correct its the Vsport, not the V 3 halo car. But....the Vsport isn't really that impressive for a $70,000 car either, although the interior looks quite nice, and it does fit a gap.the exterior is for sure a bit, grandpa. I bet it gets close to V2 stock numbers with chips and boost controllers as soon as its released.
    What areas does the CTS Vsport lack in for a 70K car?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.