Becoming really tired of my CTS-V
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Becoming really tired of my CTS-V in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; This is just a rant but perhaps some of you can relate. I was very very excited when I took ...
    spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels

Becoming really tired of my CTS-V

This is just a rant but perhaps some of you can relate. I was very very excited when I took delivery of my CTS-V wagon this past May. Elated actually. I was thrilled to have a great looking, excellent performing, monster of a car. The honeymoon lasted about two weeks. Then the steering wheel was perpetually off-center. It took 5 alignments and twice as many dealer visits to finally figure out a 'bad' front tire was causing radial pull. Cadillac swapped the two front tires and problem solved. Then my rear differential began to make a very loud whining sound around 50mph. It sounded like a New York taxi with 200,000 miles on the odometer. My dealer replaced the diff and the new diff was silent...until this past week. Despite a gentle 1000 mi break in for the new diff with driving it very gently and swapping fluids after those 1000 mi, the new diff is starting to whine very slightly. Once it gets louder, back it will go for hopefully another replacement. In the interim I've begun noticing more and more interior rattles. First it was the panel on the driver's door. Then the passenger front door started rattling. Next the rear passenger door rattles continuously any time I'm on the highway. It's downright maddening. Now sprinkle in the random times the center console stack doesn't power up correctly when I turn on the ignition requiring me to turn off the car, open the driver's door, close it again and then start the car again. The car is also going in next week because the seal around the outside of the sunroof is pulling away in one spot and there's concern it may start leaking.

For $72,000 I didn't expect to buy a car that already has a laundry list of repairs and problems. It's completely disenchanting and so disappointing because I love the styling, design and LSA engine. But sadly, I can't see myself ever buying another Cadillac at this point.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Re: Becoming really tired of my CTS-V

Sorry to read of the issues, man.

I, myself, have the classic low-speed diff groan on slow turns (only at first startup of the day) and the loose driver's footwell carpet issue, but my wagon has been otherwise trouble-free in nine months and an astonishing (for me) 13.5k miles of service. I see my issues as known quirks, but you obviously have more than that. Your experience and other similar reported experiences here are why I haven't replaced my diff yet, the next one could be worse.

I changed the diff oil at 5k miles and will have it done again shortly, making sure the dealer adds the correct additive to the oil.

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels

My dealer fixed the carpet issue that I had as well. They blamed me for it but still put in a screw to hold it down better. My new diff was doing the same thing as yours. I took it in and they swapped the fluid which stopped the first turn of the day groaning. But now the whine is starting ever so slightly. The diff is annoying but I'm fine with it as long as they keep replacing it. It's the interior rattles that are really hurting my ownership experience right now.

pat2t2f is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Bob,

I just started getting the low speed diff groan myself. I'm concerned the rest will give out when I'm driving it. I was going to make an appointment with my dealer next week. Should I not be that concerned? I recently had the diff fluid changed.

Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC

I've had no issues yet - maybe I just have more forgiving ears? In either case, I agree with you: the build quality does not seem to match the pricepoint. But I wasn't going to spend tens of thousands more for something else, either.

Good luck with your dealer (a whole mother rant in itself).

Car dude V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): abtin.usamuscle@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Random84 View Post
    In either case, I agree with you: the build quality does not seem to match the pricepoint. ).
    agreed

RGaret is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    I had my transmission replaced at 7,100 miles. My power window motor at 5,000. Just because you spend a lot of money, doesn't guarantee quality anymore. My BMW had 4 dealer visits to fix the windshield wipers. Alternator was replaced, so was the fuel pump. My point is that cars have problems. When its your car, it can really turn you off. That's why I lease, I don't want to get stuck with these problems when it is me. As far as my car goes, all issues were fixed and it runs perfectly well now.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Contact GM direct and get a case started. You've tried enough at the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by pat2t2f View Post
    Bob,

I just started getting the low speed diff groan myself. I'm concerned the rest will give out when I'm driving it. I was going to make an appointment with my dealer next week. Should I not be that concerned? I recently had the diff fluid changed.
    Word is that for some, it is because the diff fluid additive was not added to the diff oil. I am blanking on the additive but a quick search of the forum should yield the right one. That's my plan since I have no other diff sounds.

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

It sucks to have that kind of stuff happen with a new car. I can tell you ALL cars, can have issues like this, even the "higher" end stuff than our V. In the end it doesn't matter if its a $15,000 car or a $74,000 car, it still sucks and its still a pain in the ass.

I've been lucky. I bought used and have had my car as long as you with only a reprogramming of the tire pressure sensors needed with a new battery in it. I had it in for an oil change, as well as a TSB on the rocking seats which did actually help quite a bit. Other than that, its been a pure love affair. No clicking wheels, mimimal supercharger noise. The interior carpet thing doesn't really bother me, although I've seen picts in peoples cars that are pretty disappointing.

Lots of cars have recalls. They all have quirks and rattles. For perspective, for such a high performance car, at least the V has had few failures and issues with transmissions, suspensions, engines, superchargers and electronice, even considering the considerable amount of modding going on. Take a gander at some BMW and Audi forums, they are not so lucky on some major drive train issues on their flag ship cars.

In short, find a dealer that will treat you right, give you a nice loaner, and make it right. It sucks, as even though these are minor things, people who love cars, like the typical V owner, is going to have very high expectations, especially after dropping a lot of money. Every issue you've listed isn't unique to your particular car, and isn't unique to GM. Contact customer service reps on the forum and make them do some work for you.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by pat2t2f View Post
    Bob,

Hello pat2t2f,

I am sorry you are also experiencing an issue with your CTS-V. We want you to enjoy your awesome Cadillac! If you are going to bring your vehicle into the dealer, please let us know so we can assist throughout the process. We can be contacted via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Quote Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
    My dealer fixed the carpet issue that I had as well. They blamed me for it but still put in a screw to hold it down better. My new diff was doing the same thing as yours. I took it in and they swapped the fluid which stopped the first turn of the day groaning. But now the whine is starting ever so slightly. The diff is annoying but I'm fine with it as long as they keep replacing it. It's the interior rattles that are really hurting my ownership experience right now.
    Hello spearfish25,

I remember interacting with you the end of July, and I am sorry if there are still vehicle concerns you are dealing with. If there is anything you would like to further discuss with us, please reach out via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

pmsteinm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (Blue Diamond Manual/Recaros/Nav/Suede/Polished)

The current correct GM differential fluid does not require an additive. It's part #88862624. This fluid is for LSDs and includes the friction modifier. This fluid came out a year or 2 after the V so it is possible your dealer may have used the wrong fluid or the old fluid (different part #) and forgot to add the modifier.

With the current fluid I can go about a year before the diff makes a bit of noise on a cold day when pulling out of a parking spot. A fluid change keeps it quiet for another year. The friction modifier doesn't last forever, so the idea that the rear axle doesn't require periodic fluid changes is not the case. Fortunately it's a very easy DIY and doesn't even require jacking the car up.
    neuronbob, RapidRob and Xaqtly like this.

^^^^
    I wasn't aware the diff fluid had been updated. Thanks for the head's up. I may purchase some myself and take it to the dealer, or (gulp) do it myself. I suppose that if I can de-install my Airaid CAI from one V and install it in another, I should be able to change my own diff fluid.
    RapidRob likes this.

mrkool is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V, Harley VROD (Night Rod)

Guys the Lemon Law is on your side. My buddy bought a brand new vette and had similar quality issues put 15k miles on the car and had it for over a year and a half and GM ended up buying the car back from him and all he paid was 2-3k this included the attorney fee. i think the rule is in 18 months of owner ship if you car sits in the shop for more than 30 days or something

6104696 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Sorry to hear about your frustration; if I were in your shoes I too would be more than a bit irritated.

As a counterpoint, I am on my second V (first was a 2004 and the current one is a 2010) and both of my experiences were top notch ownership experiences. Whatever minor issues that I had were handily dealt with by Lindsay Cadillac.

My 3rd V is currently in the design phase (I hope). With every brand, especially performance brands (yes, even Audi, BMW, and Mercedes), there are issues. But I think with Caddy as with the others, the success stories vastly outnumber the nightmares.

(Yes, I am a GM stockholder).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.