Becoming really tired of my CTS-V - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Becoming really tired of my CTS-V in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by shchow If you ever hit the rev limiter in the V, you would understand. The cut off ...
    spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels

Re: Becoming really tired of my CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by shchow View Post
    If you ever hit the rev limiter in the V, you would understand.
    The cut off in power is very dramatic!
    Feels like you hit a brick wall.
    Some other cars will let you bounce off the limiter with little drama.
    But the V feels like someone slammed on the brakes...
    100% agree

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

Oh, I've experienced the fun-ends-NOW of the V2's rev limiter -- it hits the car like an electrical power outage -- but I've not tried a no-lift-shift, in part because I wasn't going to risk crossing the rev limiter again.

CavemanB52: thank you, that was helpful.

So it recognizes that you're in the process of shifting near redline and keeps things just shy of the rev limiter? Has anyone found a description of how it does that? I'm guessing a reduction of throttle without triggering boost bypass?

CavemanB52 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Oh, I've experienced the fun-ends-NOW of the V2's rev limiter -- it hits the car like an electrical power outage -- but I've not tried a no-lift-sshift, in part because I wasn't going to risk crossing the rev limiter again.

CavemanB52: thank you, that was helpful.

So it recognizes that you're in the process of shifting near redline and keeps things just shy of the rev limiter? Has anyone found a description of how it does that? I'm guessing a reduction of throttle without triggering boost bypass?
    During NLS the computer holds the rpm and boost. There is a spike in boost but only about 2psi. I have a aftermarket tool that tells me so I don't have to watch it. My car tops out boost normal at 12psi and spikes to 14 during NLS. But rmps pretty much stay constant when I stab the clutch pedal. I can try to get a video sometime but no one ever rides with me. I can't figure out why but there loss right.

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Yes....the V gets very pissy missing shifts, perhaps its just self defense! I've never had a car take such a giant dump so fast, but part of this is because the first gear is SOOOO tall, and once that boost kicks in, its very easy to lose traction, spin and bounce that limiter. I've never had a car with power like this, with such touchy manners, but thats why its SEXY.

Maybe it's just my perception, but I swear there is a difference in acceleration depending on how and when I 'get on it'. To clarify: If I'm driving along at 60mph and downshift to 3rd and floor it, I don't think it pulls as hard as if I launch from a stop and continue accelerating through the same speed in the same gear. Does this make any sense?

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

I'm not 100% sure what you mean however:

The power is very RPM dependent. No matter what gear I'm in, they all have a slightly different boost building sweet spot, so depending on when and how you shift, the car feels different.

I also notice, at least the car pulls better for me, if I don't just floor it. If I ease into the the accelerator, even from a roll, traction not being a factor, and then give the pedal a steady but not sharp push to the floor the car seems to pull harder. Short hand is don't slam the pedal down, go fast but steady. Perhaps this is a symptom of drive by wire? I don't find the throttle very responsive, but it does make for very smooth driving. The car doesn't keep up with very fast throttle changes.

This what you mean ?

I'm going to try the throttle body grounding technique.

I don't notice a difference between launching from 0 or launching from speed. When I've dropped to third for a passing situation the car took off like a scalded cat.

shortshift is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Our cars accelerate the hardest in 1st, regardless of speed, due simply to the power multiplication of that gear. Acceleration diminishes in each subsequent gear as the car looses power multiplication as the taller gears are used.
    Because 3rd has a lower numerical (eg. taller) ratio it simply can't accelerate the mass of our cars, as well as the ever increasing drag, at the same rate as 1st.

Not sure this helps but it helped me understand why my car can sometimes feel unimpressive.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    Quote Originally Posted by shortshift
    Our cars accelerate the hardest in 1st, regardless of speed, due simply to the power multiplication of that gear. Acceleration diminishes in each subsequent gear as the car looses power multiplication as the taller gears are used. Because 3rd has a lower numerical (eg. taller) ratio it simply can't accelerate the mass of our cars, as well as the ever increasing drag, at the same rate as 1st. Not sure this helps but it helped me understand why my car can sometimes feel unimpressive.
    Maybe they need a funny car dragster to wake them up. On public streets the V2 is a rocket. It's not a dragster but a high speed road course performer with luxury car features. Why didn't these other guys know that?

Jud
    Jud

shortshift: I don't think spearfish25 is comparing 1st to 3rd. I took his comment as this:

The feel of third-gear acceleration from 60mph, coming off an acceleration run from rest, is different from the feel of third-gear acceleration from 60mph coming off a highway cruise.

.Jinx

shortshift: I don't think spearfish25 is comparing 1st to 3rd. I took his comment as this:

The feel of third-gear acceleration from 60mph, coming off an acceleration run from rest, is different from the feel of third-gear acceleration from 60mph coming off a highway cruise.

.Jinx
    Well... the reason is... from a dead stop acceleration you are in 2nd gear till about 70 mph. 2nd to third on a manual is at 70 mph. Therefore deep in the power band and is only used from 70-100. If in third starting from 60 mph its going to less impressive.

If he's waiting to shift into third until 70mph, then yes, but he did say:

"To clarify: If I'm driving along at 60mph and downshift to 3rd and floor it, I don't think it pulls as hard as if I launch from a stop and continue accelerating through the same speed in the same gear."

In other words, shifting into 3rd by 60mph.

If he's waiting to shift into third until 70mph, then yes, but he did say:

"To clarify: If I'm driving along at 60mph and downshift to 3rd and floor it, I don't think it pulls as hard as if I launch from a stop and continue accelerating through the same speed in the same gear."

In other words, shifting into 3rd by 60mph.
    Its in his head then. Or maybe a faulty butt dyno. If you are over 40 its recommended you have that checked regularly by your doctor. In this case stop by your tuner cause if you go to your doctor your going to get the finger in the booty.

Quote Originally Posted by CavemanB52 View Post
    Its in his head then. Or maybe a faulty butt dyno
    Could be. Cars definitely feel faster if you're a passenger rather than a driver too.

----------

.Jinx
    Precisely

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Doesn't it take a millisecond for the s/c to reengage and spool?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.