Becoming really tired of my CTS-V - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Becoming really tired of my CTS-V in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Spearfish, Are you/have you taken the car back to the dealer for the Ultraview seal and the dash issues? Any ...
    Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC

Re: Becoming really tired of my CTS-V

Spearfish,

Are you/have you taken the car back to the dealer for the Ultraview seal and the dash issues? Any updates? Combined with the differential whine, as long as it's being documented... have you looked into lemon-law issues yet?

I met a guy at the V Corral who was on his 4th differential - it was so bad [longevity of replacements] that he suspected he was getting his own rebuilt differential back vs brand-new units...

After taking my wife's wagon into the dealer and coming back with a few more interior scuffs and exterior paint scratches, I really think that "the fix" can often be more problematic than the actual problem (ie the dealer service techs will create more problems then they manage to fix).

But to be fair, I suspect that of any maker/brand and I again wanted to wish you luck with getting the car right, even though I think we both know that will never happen with 100% satisfaction.

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by CavemanB52 View Post
    I guess adults can't talk about what adults want to talk about in America anymore. Bring on the sensors.
    What kind of sensors? A coolant temp sensor? Mass air flow sensor? And how will they help fix the issues spearfish is having with his car?

CavemanB52 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    What kind of sensors? A coolant temp sensor? Mass air flow sensor? And how will they help fix the issues spearfish is having with his car?
    Sorry english teacher... "CENSORS" Does that make you feel better?

Car dude V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): abtin.usamuscle@gmail.com

lol , some of you are real like A-holes on here. I thought Corvette forum was bad. Can we just discuss cars without getting into bs?

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

It's because having a car that's faster than 99.5% of other cars on the road tends to make people think they are better than 99.5% of people on the forums. If you want to see a carbon copy of this thread, visit the BMW forums, MB forums, Lexus forums, Lincoln forums, etc etc. (Ok, maybe not Lincoln. Are they still in business?)

If you are having a problem with your CTS-V, there is no point in even posting about it on the forum. It's not going to get you any help. All it is going to do is aggravate you reading the polarizing responses. Take it to a dealer. If that doesn't solve it, take it to another dealer. If that doesn't solve it, take it to another dealer. Eventually you will find one who wants the work and is willing to argue with the manufacturer to get it.

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

The corvetteforum is 10x worse. At least most people here have a sense of humor. Not always but usually.

I disagree. There is nothing wrong with posting your issues on this or similar forum. The whole point is to see if others have had serious issues like you, and what they have done to either solve them or if how dealers have dealt with them. Some people just like to argue, I am for sure one of those people.

The only thing that IS stupid is posting on an internet forum and expecting people not to argue. It’s as stupid as posting controversial stuff on your facebook page, and then making a huge deal out of the drama it creates. That’s what social media is - drama. Thats not to say, its better to error on the side of civility.

Very rarely is there a thread with an earthshattering issue that no one else has had. In truth, I’m quite happy, that the typical things that people complain about relative to the CTS-V2, is carpet, dash rattles, and clicking wheels. Its sure as hell better than recalls on fancy double clutch automatics, blown head gaskets, ring, rear ends etc, and on a car with a huge of a cult modding fantasy as the V2, that’s an accomplishment in and of itself!

To the OP, sorry you’re having these issues, I’ve been lucky with my V, but have had similar stupid stuff on other cars I’ve owned. There is nothing worse than making large purchases, payments and investments, and then having things just not work or fall apart. There isn’t an excuse for it, and nothing is going to make it feel right until it is fixed. In this situation, the dealer is what makes or breaks this experience, and after that how the manufacturer follows through. I have a good dealer. A good dealer should take this stress away and make it right, and be glad to do so. Don’t be afraid to travel a bit if you need to either. Even an hour or two, is worth it to get it fixed right, and there will be dealers that have the kind of ethic to help you out with a loner and make it right. Good luck. Don’t get too bent out of shape about peoples comments, and don’t take it personally. It’s the internet.

shchow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS-V; 2010 Escalade ESV
    I think it's fair to say the cosmetic build quality is better in the European counterparts.
    But, when I got my BMW 6 series when it was re-introduced, had the tranny replaced 2x and it was full of electrical gremlins.
    After that experience, I vowed never to get the 1st production series of any car.
    Since then, my E60 M5 was flawless (except for the torque issue).
    And the GL450 was fantastic.
    So far, I've been lucky with the V.
    This is my 2nd V2 and its been issue free.
    Then again, it's also $25-30k less than the German equivalent, so I'm more forgiving.
    To the OP, depends where you place your emphasis...power, performance, panache, luxury.
    If you want all aspects covered, expect to pay well into 6 figures.
    Just bug the dealer to death and have your nagging issues resolved...

Quote Originally Posted by shchow View Post
    I think it's fair to say the cosmetic build quality is better in the European counterparts.
    But, when I got my BMW 6 series when it was re-introduced, had the tranny replaced 2x and it was full of electrical gremlins.
    After that experience, I vowed never to get the 1st production series of any car.
    Since then, my E60 M5 was flawless (except for the torque issue).
    And the GL450 was fantastic.
    So far, I've been lucky with the V.
    This is my 2nd V2 and its been issue free.
    Then again, it's also $25-30k less than the German equivalent, so I'm more forgiving.
    To the OP, depends where you place your emphasis...power, performance, panache, luxury.
    If you want all aspects covered, expect to pay well into 6 figures.
    Just bug the dealer to death and have your nagging issues resolved...
    Ditto

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

If you are not happy, you could always do what these two guys did:

Car dude V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): abtin.usamuscle@gmail.com

When you have money to throw away its easy to do what these guys did. This is when money is not an option because you can afford pretty much anything

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels

LOL. The guy with the axe was clearly never an athlete...

I have an appointment to take the car in again on Wednesday but I may cancel it for now. I'm reluctant to let them change the sunroof seal since it's only pinched in one spot, doesn't leak and doesn't rattle. My concern is they'll change the gasket and then it will look right but leak and rattle. Thinking I shouldn't poke the cobra on this issue.

The rattles persist although I did narrow one of them down to a little bottle of Advil that I had buried in the center console. Unfortunately, the door panels still rattle like crazy. I'm not confident there is any real fix for them, so perhaps not worth being without the car while they just drive it around, disassemble it and then put it back together again the same way.

The rear diff has a very very slight howl at speeds around 40mph. I can hear it but I'd guess the dealer wouldn't at this point. I'm sure it will get louder with time though as I've been through this before.

I'm definitely sensitive and critical of issues with the car because I started my ownership with some really serious and hard to miss problems. The car was veering into the ditch without 5 degrees of left steering input and it took 5 alignments and even more dealer visits to solve that one. Then the diff had to be swapped. Needless to say, I'm a little sensitive to things going amiss with the car now.

The no-lift-shift eludes me. Either it's working fine and I think it just feels abrupt or I'm doing something wrong. Comp mode, right foot to the firewall, RPMs to 6300, quick clutch and 3-4 shift...the S/C goes into an ubber-scream and the car jolts into the next gear. If that's how it goes, I think I'll just yes-lift-shift from now on .

Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC

Quote Originally Posted by RaVeNous View Post
    The corvetteforum is 10x worse. At least most people here have a sense of humor. Not always but usually.

...There is nothing wrong with posting your issues on this or similar forum. The whole point is to see if others have had serious issues like you, and what they have done to either solve them or if how dealers have dealt with them. Some people just like to argue, I am for sure one of those people.
    Agreed. Using the CF as an example, hundreds of people have probably been saved the indignity of dropping an exhaust valve or blowing a motor after all of the divas and immature children over there started complaining about it 3 years ago. They may not have deserved their cars, but in the end all of those complaints culminated into what we now know: you don't want to own a 30K mile Z06 out of warranty without first having the cylinder heads checked. And likewise with this forum, you don't want to order from some vendors if you're in a hurry.

That doesn't mean every owner will have OP's experience (or that every Z06 will drop a valve), but some issues are more common than others, and sharing these complaints online helps consumers know what to expect - and it helps them mitigate risks by potentially being proactive on maintenance.

I'm glad OP posted his experiences because they're valid and confirm others' similar complaints. And it may help the Next Guy know what to expect if he has the same problems down the road, and how they'll be handled. I'm not sure that "try another dealer, and then another, and then another" is the best advice here... sometimes bad service is just bad service. But IMHO there's no easy answer either because every option means more hassle for OP - and the more time your car is in the hands of a dealer's Service Dept means the more likely they're going to joy-ride it (one user caught that on video) or otherwise mess something else up.

Hopefully, Spearfish continues to update this thread (or starts a new one) recapping how the dealer(s) and GM accommodate his complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by RaVeNous View Post
    The only thing that IS stupid is posting on an internet forum and expecting people not to argue.
    ...Donít get too bent out of shape about peoples comments, and donít take it personally. Itís the internet.
    Pretty much this.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
    I'm definitely sensitive and critical of issues with the car because I started my ownership with some really serious and hard to miss problems.
    Sometimes we can be extra critical after having major issues like you've had - it can be hard to differentiate between "OCD driver" and a real problem with the car on the internet, but enough other people have had similar issues to make me think you're pretty accurate with your concerns.

The no-lift-shift eludes me. Either it's working fine and I think it just feels abrupt or I'm doing something wrong. Comp mode, right foot to the firewall, RPMs to 6300, quick clutch and 3-4 shift...the S/C goes into an ubber-scream and the car jolts into the next gear. If that's how it goes, I think I'll just yes-lift-shift from now on .
    The factory redline is 6200 RPM. If you're waiting until over 6K to no-lift-shift, then you're probably hitting the rev limiter, and that might explain the jerkyness you describe.

Start your shift at 5800 (given you time to physically shift while the RPM rises) and see if that changes anything. Your margin of error is greater in higher gears because the engine won't rev as quickly, but I'd still try it to make sure you're not hitting the fuel cut-off while in the middle of shifting?

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

If you don't complain about squeaks and rattles when new, isn't there a point at which the answer becomes "it's a used car, they just do that?"

flatrockguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Raven V Sedan, M6, Graphite Rims, Yellow Brembos

Sorry for the re-post.

Here is a guy that beat his BMW M6 with a sleadge hammer at the Frankfurt autoshow to make BMW aware of problems he has had getting it fixed for 4 years. All cars have problems, some more than others.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...b21lBHB0A3BtaA--

LOL. The guy with the axe was clearly never an athlete...

I have an appointment to take the car in again on Wednesday but I may cancel it for now. I'm reluctant to let them change the sunroof seal since it's only pinched in one spot, doesn't leak and doesn't rattle. My concern is they'll change the gasket and then it will look right but leak and rattle. Thinking I shouldn't poke the cobra on this issue.

The rattles persist although I did narrow one of them down to a little bottle of Advil that I had buried in the center console. Unfortunately, the door panels still rattle like crazy. I'm not confident there is any real fix for them, so perhaps not worth being without the car while they just drive it around, disassemble it and then put it back together again the same way.

The rear diff has a very very slight howl at speeds around 40mph. I can hear it but I'd guess the dealer wouldn't at this point. I'm sure it will get louder with time though as I've been through this before.

I'm definitely sensitive and critical of issues with the car because I started my ownership with some really serious and hard to miss problems. The car was veering into the ditch without 5 degrees of left steering input and it took 5 alignments and even more dealer visits to solve that one. Then the diff had to be swapped. Needless to say, I'm a little sensitive to things goinag amiss with the car now.

PM in your inbox about no lift shift.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.