Cadillac Applies Art and Science to CTS Engine Sounds
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Trapspeed
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Cadillac Applies Art and Science to CTS Engine Sounds in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; ...
    flatrockguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Raven V Sedan, M6, Graphite Rims, Yellow Brembos

Cadillac Applies Art and Science to CTS Engine Sounds

Why can't they just used dual mode exhaust instead of play engine sounds through the speakers!

DETROIT Cadillac engineers applied the principles of psychoacoustics, the science of sound perception, and car-guy instinct to create powerful and pleasant exhaust notes for the all-new 2014 CTS midsize luxury sedan and CTS Vsport.
    Knowing that engine sound communicates throttle response to the driver, CTS engineers uniquely tuned each selectable driving mode – Tour, Sport and Track – to provide the driver with a specific sound impression of what’s happening under the hood.
    Tour mode purrs with refinement. Sport mode growls with power. Track mode, only available on the CTS Vsport equipped with Cadillac’s first Twin-Turbo engine, roars even more aggressively.
    The team drew upon its knowledge of what tones sound the most pleasing to human ears based on the study of psychoacoustics, surveyed the sounds made by competitor models and relied on their own ears when selecting final tones.
    Engineers strategically placed microphones in the CTS cabin and used an integrated electronic sound enhancement system to execute the sound designs. The microphones listen to the roar of the engine and the enhancement system selects preferred tones to come through CTS’s Bose audio system. No artificial sounds are used.
    “The sound enhancement system acts like a choir conductor, calling forth certain engine sounds to sing the loudest depending on the driving mode,” said Dave Leone, CTS executive chief engineer, Performance Luxury Vehicles. “We used our ears to tell us what sounded the best and programmed the system to listen for those tones. It is Cadillac’s Art and Science design philosophy applied to engine sound.”
    The CTS has been the centerpiece of Cadillac’s portfolio for more than a decade. The third-generation CTS is one inch lower, five inches longer and more than 200 pounds lighter than its predecessor. The new car also has lower curb weight, higher structural stiffness and more horsepower than its primary competitors.
    Engineered from the ground up to deliver a driving experience that combines sport-tuned handling with world-class comfort, the all-new CTS includes segment-exclusive Magnetic Ride Control and electronic limited slip differential, which constantly monitors rear-wheel rotation from one side versus the other to ensure optimal handling on a variety of road conditions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    WTF! Are there some closet BMW fans in Cadillac? This is my worst nightmare! They're using this BS to cover up the insect sound of the V6. I sincerely hope that the true V's are spared this wimpy nonsense. A V8 with dual mode exhaust is all that's needed.

Jud
    Jud

flatrockguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Raven V Sedan, M6, Graphite Rims, Yellow Brembos

Re: Cadillac Applies Art and Science to CTS Engine Sounds

Exactly what I thought!

GM-4-LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 V Coupe, 2013 Escalade ESV, 2015 Escalade on Order

At least they are real sounds from the engine and not fake like what BMW uses.

I am just glad I have a V Coupe that allows me to hear the natural exhaust note.

I love my V Coupe more everyday!

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Locate fuse. Smash it. This is the most ridiculous "advancement" in cars I've ever heard.
    Club Malibu and Guy.Seminerio like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trapspeed
    Locate fuse. Smash it. This is the most ridiculous "advancement" in cars I've ever heard.
    Ha haa! Good idea. What Cadillac should be doing is tuning the exhaust note of the V6's to remove the insect sound. There's "science" in that, too.

What's next, piped in V8 sound for the sorry electric cars?

Jud
    Jud

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

"Engineers strategically placed microphones in the CTS cabin"

Would it surprise you to find out that the FBI might be able to monitor private conversations in your car?
    A recent court case revealed that the FBI used the popular OnStar system to do just that.
    http://www.tonyrogers.com/news/onstar.htm

tx_metabaron is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Coupé

Sounds like some " engineers " should get fired,seriously WTF?

Imagine yourself seating in one of those,with the engine"sounding furiously" in the cockpit but getting passed effortlessly by an infiniti G37...
    I wonder if that would make the driver more or less angry?

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Booooooooooo!

This sucks, don't do it Cadillac! Don't be like BMW in that way.

BuckThunder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sedan

I can't figure out how they don't see this as cheesy. I made fun of BMW for doing it, please say it isn't so!

tx_metabaron is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Coupé

Bad cadillac marketing is BACK in a big way(yet i've owned one for last 8 years!)

DPL
    DPL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I dunno, if done right I think this will be kinda cool. It might be like opening a window to hear more of your engine without having to open the window.

Again, if done right and from what I am reading, it sounds like it is going to be

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Here's the video touting said feature. It looks like they are testing the 3.6TT V-Sport. I hear no turbo noise in the cabin, though.

I guess if you hear no buzz from the V6 insect inside the cabin, that makes up for the outside drone. If it winds up in the real V's, will Cadillac furnish white buck shoes and belt for the lucky drivers?

Jud
    Jud

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.