how ba[d] is the 09 a6??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, how ba[d] is the 09 a6?? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; So I'm looking for a more family friendly CTSV to replace my 900 hp v1. The a6 appeals to me ...
    runsfromdacops is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): twin turbo rear mount V1 CTS-V built 383. 875/860RW pump/met

how ba[d] is the 09 a6??

So I'm looking for a more family friendly CTSV to replace my 900 hp v1.

The a6 appeals to me but I don't know how bad or good it is compared to the manual. I spend about 2 hours a day in traffic so I really dont want a m6 but I also dont want a shity auto to ruin a bad ass car for me.

I plan to keep it on the stock tune for the next 70k and then maybe turn it up a little.

How do you guys like the automatic any complaints, benefits, stupid comments

-alex

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cruiser68 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V A6 Sedan Modded :)

re: how ba[d] is the 09 a6??

While I would prefer a manual for track days, an auto is great for me as a daily driver even in stock form. The paddle shifters are not very useful due to the massive delay but other than that I think it is a great tranny. Now I have over 600hp at the wheels and my tranny is tuned and it is significantly better than stock form but the paddle shifters are still pretty useless IMO. Overall I think it is a pretty darn good trans. It is also quicker in the 1/4 than the manual.

Crystal Red CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V CRM Coupe (Airaid Intake & Corsa), 2011 Z06/Z07

auto compared to the manual? Seems like that's been discussed a "few" times. The '12's and up have enhanced software programming for slightly quicker upshifts.

vagondr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 CTS-V wagon WD graphite 6MT Corsa Sports

This topic has been talked to death. Go back three weeks (8/21) for more than enough opinions. There's not much more to say.

Im sure it has. But the search button on here sucks.

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to tell me it's already been discussed without providing any actual opinion and or information...

Xaqtly is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

To save you some time, the auto is fine and the manual is fine. What it's going to come down to is which type of transmission you prefer. If you prefer to drive manuals, you're not going to be happy with the auto but you will love the manual. If you are fine with autos, then the auto will be fine. On a day to day basis that's all that's going to matter.

You may want to see if you can test drive both before deciding, the auto and the manual drive like two different cars.

All of my cars over the last 15 years or so have been manuals. It just starting to get alttle tiresome in traffic and such. I "think" id be ok with the auto. Its just so hard to tell if id be happy with it in the long run.

I did drive a 13 model a6 and I liked it a lot but its hard to tell on such a short test drive.

I just dont want to spend 40k and end up regretting it one way or the other

vagondr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 CTS-V wagon WD graphite 6MT Corsa Sports

runsfromdacops,

I intended to be helpful. There is more than enough information and opinion in the discussion on this forum three weeks back on 8/21, as I stated. Just go back five pages to that date and see the post third from the bottom for lots of good info. Sorry you took my reply the wrong way.

neuronbob is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...es-i-know.html

This is the most recent (LONG) discussion on the 6AT vs 6MT. I've owned both and like both. I guarantee you'll like the 6AT, and you'll like it even better with a good transmission tune.

HTH.

Car dude V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): abtin.usamuscle@gmail.com

I was in same boat with you but Ive decided on going with the manual. Just way too many isues and horror stories about the stock GM auto slushbox. Not neccessarily in the V but its your basic auto . Aint nothing special about it IMO. Now if a DCT was available it would be entirely different story.

rbzstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): stsv
    I agree the search on here can be a pain. Most times a google search with proper key words will net you much better searching results. My .02 is go with the auto if your worried about your commute. On the other hand think about your dunking abilities after using the clutch pedal.

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

M6 has a higher top speed from factory.

A6 is quicker 0-60 and 1/4 mile in every test.

Most feel the M6 is more fun to drive. I don't necessarily agree with this, but it is for sure fun to drive I'm sure - I haven't had the pleasure. If you want a bit more lazy of a daily driver get an A6. If you want a more sports car kind of feel I'd get the M6. Both are extremely fast.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Car dude V View Post
    I was in same boat with you but Ive decided on going with the manual. Just way too many isues and horror stories about the stock GM auto slushbox. Not neccessarily in the V but its your basic auto . Aint nothing special about it IMO. Now if a DCT was available it would be entirely different story.
    Horror stories and issues - really? As far as I know people are racing A6's with 500-600RWHP with little to no problems. The V A6 is not a basic trasmission. The reviews rip on the "slushbox" for not being a DCT, however the performance numbers seem to contrast its outdated, and supposed poor feel. I think its one of the best feeling automatics I've ever driven - to each his own.

But this will be debated endlessly. I would have been happy with either transmission, I had another list of wants in my car - Coupe, black, black diamond yellow package, black wheels at a good price.

neuronbob is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

The 6AT in this car is pretty bulletproof. Rare stock failures and most failures you hear about are north of 600-650 whp.

You want transmission horror stories? Try the early 2000s Honda 5ATs. THOSE gave people some horror stories.

I read that whole thread and was more looking for how's the transmission felt as opposed to which would be my preference. Also interested in the failure rate of auto vs Manuel. I know in the v1 the shifting was terrible both because of a crappy transmission as well as the remote shifter bushings motor mounts all contributing two s***** shifter feeling. Tgats the kinda info im looking for. What is comin to fail on tge autos? Are there any known fixes for the whatever problems exist?

shchow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS-V; 2010 Escalade ESV
    Had 2010 auto for 3 years.
    The tranny was bulletproof.
    Shifting was S L O W, but I heard that was corrected in 2012 software.

Currently have 2014 manual.
    Although slower off the line, it's much more fun to drive.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.