how ba[d] is the 09 a6?? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, how ba[d] is the 09 a6?? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Honestly I'm not aware of any auto trans failure on the V. It's a stout transmission, you shouldn't have any ...
    Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

re: how ba[d] is the 09 a6??

Honestly I'm not aware of any auto trans failure on the V. It's a stout transmission, you shouldn't have any problems with it. The TR6060 manual is an excellent manual transmission, in terms of reliability or solidity you shouldn't have any problems either way. In terms of how it feels, the auto is not as fast as a dual clutch unit but it's strong enough to handle the power and it can be tuned to shift faster too. The manual has a nice short throw and it's really solid. Good positive engagement.

Like I said I think it really is going to come down to your own personal preference. I don't think there are any overwhelmingly negative aspects of either one that would push you one way or the other, it's just about which transmission type you like better.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by shchow View Post
    Had 2010 auto for 3 years.
    The tranny was bulletproof.
    Shifting was S L O W, but I heard that was corrected in 2012 software.

Currently have 2014 manual.
    Although slower off the line, it's much more fun to drive.
    Hello shchow,

I see you have the 2014 CTS-V manual and mentioned it is fun to drive. I bet it is! You should post a picture to share with us Continue to enjoy your Cadillac vehicles and if concerns or questions arise, don't hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by runsfromdacops View Post
    Im sure it has. But the search button on here sucks.

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to tell me it's already been discussed without providing any actual opinion and or information...
    It's here. Sorry you couldn't find it.

Also discussed a trillion times is how to search. Skip the search engine here. Use Google. Under the results, find posts from cadillacforums and click on it. Voila, all CF results...

Car dude V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): abtin.usamuscle@gmail.com

Actually I didnt mean it was problematic , I just didnt think it was any special fast shifting tranny like say a DCT

musclecar6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 V sedan crystal red/ light titanium A6, 2010 GS LPE 650

I have a 2012 CTS-V A6. It's fabulous as a daily driver and with the improved software ( and hardware I believe) in the 2012's and later is very quick with staged upshifts and rev matches on downshifts. You drove a 2013, so you're familiar. Not a DCT, but very quick. Much easier in daily driving traffic and still a lot of fun with the paddles.

JFJr is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    Quote Originally Posted by runsfromdacops
    I read that whole thread and was more looking for how's the transmission felt as opposed to which would be my preference. Also interested in the failure rate of auto vs Manuel. I know in the v1 the shifting was terrible both because of a crappy transmission as well as the remote shifter bushings motor mounts all contributing two s***** shifter feeling. Tgats the kinda info im looking for. What is comin to fail on tge autos? Are there any known fixes for the whatever problems exist?
    Did you have a V1? I had one and you're talking about the manual in some other car, The TR6060 has shorter throws and is slightly smoother, that's it.

Jud
    Jud

Uebele is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    In general I hate automatics and the feeling of being out of control whilst going down a hill. However the manual cts-v no better in this area. Even in cruise control, going down a hill, the manual trans provides little engine deceleration. Thanks to the throttle by wire I suppose. My wife's automatic merc 550 does a better job of slowing you down a hill without hitting the brakes. And doing it with a much smaller engine! Still, I'd rather have the manual.

DavidPR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Sedan

Re: how ba[d] is the 09 a6??

I have an A6 V. Before I used to drive manuals (Mustang GT, WRX, MS3, S4, etc). Overall, I am satisfied with it, even though I miss the fun of a stick sometimes. Here is some info regarding the V's trannies:

The A6 can go to ~170 mph whereas the M6 goes to ~190 mph. An M6 would obviously do better on a Texas Mile race.

0-60 times are better in the A6, since it is obviously easier to launch. An A6 would do better in an 1/8 or 1/4 mile drag race.

The Nurburgring record was achieved using an A6 in sports mode. I've also gotten my best track times using it; it is awesome. Though it is quite jarring to use on daily driving.

As for mods, the A6 can handle more power initially, like at a certain hp point it would still be good where an M6 would need an aftermarket clutch.

Like other posters said, the A6 manual mode shifts somewhat slow. It is not a DCT by any means, but it shifts quite faster than other slushboxes (such as my Audi's tiptronic). With some practice, it can be made a lot of fun. I've gotten used to its timing, and I drive mine in manual mode almost all the time, with smooth shifting. Though I still prefer using auto sports mode at the track, particularly since the buttons are poorly placed where I find myself shifting accidentally (a set of aftermarket paddle shifters would be nice).

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

The auto was one of my main complaints on my CTS-V, to me it just had a disconnected feel and you felt like the large torque converter was just draining engine power and fuel efficientcy, after all I believe this trans was designed for a 3500 GM truck originally and retrofitted into the Cadillac. I really like the auto in my AMG, they did away with the torque converter so it feels like a lot more of direct connection like the STD trans does with less power losses and excellent efficientcy.

Cub Cadet is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6spd MANUAL

Yes, the auto does give a disconnected feel. The auto does have a history of failure - just look at another forums or google it. One huge benefit for the manual is its efficiency. You have far less driveline loss (roughly half) and you also can get far better gas mileage. In my manual 2010 V, I was getting 19-24 mpg. For daily driving, the manual is the absolute best choice.
    When I see automatic V's, I think of automatic corvettes. Makes me laugh and think "why would they do that?".

Bcfd113 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

I can tell u this sir... I wanted manual, but got a 2013 auto. I am pleasantly surprised by the auto and have not regretted it ever. Good luck to u.

I don't know why GM has not followed the Europeans and gone dual clutch design automatics, much more like a STD trans, faster more positive shifts. I even like the PDK in my VW better than the Cadillac auto. I guess if you do end up with a CTS Auto can always do a trans tune, that helps out, but then you might void your warranty.

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

^^^Not everyone wants an agressive more manual shifting automatic, particularly when you can still get a manual. Not all sports sedans are using DCT. The new S8 doesn't and it would destroy a CTS-V smooth "shitty" shifting and all.

That is true, I really felt with mine it needed a trans tune as I like more firm shifts, I use to have a G8GT and with the tune that car would slam you into the seatback every time it shifted.

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

I've really never like the firm shifting that people become obsessed with. Firm, jarring shifts don't make you faster. I'm pretty happy with how it shifts in sport mode. I have a very late produced 2011, maybe it has the 2012 updated shifting? Either case, in sport mode even using the paddle shifts I find it fairly responsive, for this type of transmission, and 99% of the time I'm not manually shifting it. The shifts are quite fast, but the delay between using a paddle to shift and the actual shift is a bit annoying. I wouldn't say disappointing as I've come from a couple of cars that had a similar transmission set up, SRT8's, but if you're expecting a Euro DCT sort of thing, its far short of that. It obviously works well enough to 60mph.... I'm curious if people have really been able to improve ET with transmission tunes, and I bet if they have, it wasn't just making them "firmer" but something much more involved with how the rest of the car is set up, and something matched specifically to the car.

The V3 could have a DCT. There was a patent taking out by GM for a DCT a few years ago that was posted....I guess we will see.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.