a couple of questions about fluids
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, a couple of questions about fluids in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; The car is a year old, with 8000 miles, and 25% oil life left so I'm due for an oil ...
    vagondr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 CTS-V wagon, 6M, Corsa Sports

a couple of questions about fluids

The car is a year old, with 8000 miles, and 25% oil life left so I'm due for an oil change. I have some concern that the dealer might substitute conventional mineral oil for synthetic. Is there a way, short of lab testing, to identify synthetic oil? I have noticed that the original oil appears perfectly clean whereas conventional oil would be black after a year. Is this a trait of Mobil 1 and is it a reliable indication that synthetic oil was actually used?

What fluids can I purchase from an auto supply store for a manual transmission car used exclusively for daily driving, rather than from a dealer. Mobil 1 and Dexcool are a given but what about the clutch, gearbox, brakes, steering and differential? For example, I noticed that the car came with amber colored clutch fluid while over the counter DOT 4 fluid is clear. Can the clear fluid be mixed with the OEM fluid? While on the subject, how do you flush the clutch? Is there a bleed nipple? The factory manual describes using a Mityvac power steering tool and doesn't show a bleed nipple?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Faith76 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 89 Sedan DeVille, 90 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood Hearse

Re: a couple of questions about fluids

I have no answers for you. I do want to tell you that your thread title seems like it should be a title for a middle school health book. Also, Why don't you just go somewhere else if you are so paranoid about your car. Or do it yourself, even?

Club Malibu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V, White, Manual, Bone stock, no sun-roof

Dealer now uses Dexos1 motor oil which is a synthetic blend.

GM's factory clutch fluid DOT4 is amber in color. Google search and Youtube search "Ranger Method Corvette" for changing out your clutch fluid.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

There are MANY oils, tat are Dexos rated, which are full synthetic. This is just another label GM uses to confuse us even more. Get some Pennzoil full-synthetic at Walmart for $24(and an extra quart), and a Mobil 1 filter for $12 at Farm&Fleet, and just do it yourself. Then you'll KNOW it's done right!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.