XM sound quality
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, XM sound quality in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Just picked up 2014 V, had prior 2010 V. Keep in mind I am no audiophile. But the sound quality ...
    shchow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS-V; 2010 Escalade ESV

XM sound quality

Just picked up 2014 V, had prior 2010 V.
    Keep in mind I am no audiophile.
    But the sound quality of XM when compared to my local FM stations sound horrible, almost like it's mono!
    It's so bad that I stopped listening to XM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Crystal Red CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V CRM Coupe (Airaid Intake & Corsa), 2011 Z06/Z07

Re: XM sound quality

All satellite radio programming is compressed to allow them to fit more channels in the allocated bandwidth - sounds terrible compared to good old fashioned CD's!

MEDISIN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan

Hollow, compressed, muffled highs, boomy lows, but I've never heard satellite radio sound great from any system. Some are better than others though, and I feel like the CTS is rather poor. The new Malibu even sounds better.

I will say that the onboard DAC and Bose hardware are pretty good all around. Both CD's and high quality playback from the USB port are better than I expected. Sure there are better systems available but it is pretty good at mid-high volumes. That is to say low volume is fairly lackluster, but past 25% volume or so and it really opens up and doesn't distort even at uncomfortably high volume.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

This has been a problem from the beginning of satellite radio, and believe me, I was an early adopter. I have had this complaint in every car in the last 12 years I've used XM in. Unfortunately, the customer service at XM, which used to be awesome, is also in the crapper. If there were another choice, and there used to be, I'd switch.

Even so, you can beat the variety and since I take long road trips regularly, I keep the service.

readyact is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V

Yes XM sounds horrible in the V. Heck playing the iPod in the V sounds better and that's not saying much. For the best sound I convert my music to DVD-RWs which sound pretty darn good in the V. The music is converted to simulated 5.1 surround sound which the Bose system seems to respond well to as the music is much cleaner and louder.

DCV
    DCV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV bone stock

Best sound is to load your cd's onto the hard drive. I have 200 loaded onto mine.

Trevorlj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS-V Coupe

XM called me the other day and acted surprised when I told them I'm not interested because their service sounds horrible. Not a fan. I just run a 32GB USB stick with high bitrate MP3's.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    And even the sound quality of music on some XM stations is better than on others (smooth jazz station better than pop). Also, I've settled on "centerpoint" as my preferred setting for sound quality on all sources.

Jud
    Jud

shchow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS-V; 2010 Escalade ESV
    Wow!
    I guess I wasn't mistaken.
    I've stopped listening to XM and use Pandora often from my iPhone.

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Thats not the car, that is XM radio. It sounds like a slightly better verision of internet radio from 1999. Hollow, thin, and sometimes an ecco. I don't particularly care for it, which is why I refuse to pay for it.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by JFJr View Post
    And even the sound quality of music on some XM stations is better than on others (smooth jazz station better than pop). Also, I've settled on "centerpoint" as my preferred setting for sound quality on all sources.

Jud
    Centerpoint, are you 68 years old? :P I like the "driver" setting. The different sound fields really sound better or worse with what source and type of music you're listening too.

GM-4-LIFE is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 MN6 V Coupe, 2015i Escalade Premium

This is nothing new. It's been like this since day one. I have been complaining about this since 2002 when they started putting XM in cars from the factory.

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

Yep, I think they really screwed up with XM going back years ago by compressing their bandwidth too much, even Direct tv Satallite sounds great, not XM, even in my Benz it sounds horrible, I very rarely listen to it, for 50 bucks a year though worth it to have for listening to Howard Stern, CNBC, CNN, etc when I travel. I mostly just stream music through Pandora and Slacker and both those are CD quality if not better. I really like the Blue Tooth that benz has, a lot more easy than plugging in a 3.5 cord each time I want to connect my cell phone. Track and title info also gets streamed to the screen, although no artwork, my VW Jetta does display artwork too with a little picture of the album in the left corner of the screen, that is kind of a nice feature. HD radio sounds really good too in both the Benz and the Jetta.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    Quote Originally Posted by RaVeNous
    Thats not the car, that is XM radio. It sounds like a slightly better verision of internet radio from 1999. Hollow, thin, and sometimes an ecco. I don't particularly care for it, which is why I refuse to pay for it.

----------

Centerpoint, are you 68 years old? :P I like the "driver" setting. The different sound fields really sound better or worse with what source and type of music you're listening too.
    I wasn't promoting any kind of music, only the sound quality. I don't think that my age has anything to do with it. If you don't understand the difference, that's your problem. Go back and read the manual. Different opinions make the world go 'round.

Jud
    Jud

elevated is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I agree. Every cars i've owned the XM/Sirius radio quality has been awful. Its the way it is unfortunately. I love the traffic maps however.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Funny, while XM sounded awful in my V1, it sounded great in my '09. Relatively, that is. But for most of the popular stations, it sounded about the same as the FM channels.

It sounded good enough that I didn't listen to many CDs or Pandora. Have you guys adjusted your settings for XM??

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.