My manual shift lever broke
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, My manual shift lever broke in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I noticed on the way home a couple of shifts felt funny. My shifter was suddenly able to rotate about ...
    pmsteinm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (Blue Diamond Manual/Recaros/Nav/Suede/Polished)

My manual shift lever broke

I noticed on the way home a couple of shifts felt funny. My shifter was suddenly able to rotate about shift lever axis (ie if I grab the shift knob I can rotate it left and right). So when I got home I removed the leather shifter cover to see what was happening. I noticed that the point of rotation was not at the shift knob, but where the level comes out of the rubber boot (the one under the leather one). To do any work I'd need further access so I decided to remove the shift knob so I could remove the leather boot. I know how hard everyone says it is to remove the knob so I expected the worst. Well, the knob came off real easy...along with the actual shift lever! It appears that there is a rubber bushing that connects 2 pieces of the lever. The bushing has failed leaving the inner part of it on the lower shift lever, the outer part on the upper. See the attached photos. For the record this shift knob is still firmly attached to the shift lever with no free play.

So my question is how do I fix this? It looks like the bushing is part of the upper lever, so I assume I need to order a new one. But how do I remove the remains from the lower level and install the new one? The service manual does not seem to address this.

20130904_203700.jpg20130904_203715.jpg20130904_203740.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: My manual shift lever broke

Update:

It appears the lever is GM part number 20802168 (Shift Control) which includes what I was calling the upper and lower parts, plus the thing it goes into to actually shift gears. I really hope I can just replace the broken part. Replacing the entire 20802168 requires dropping the transmission a bit. Not sure I can tackle that myself.

vagondr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 CTS-V wagon WD graphite 6MT Corsa Sports

If you can't do the repair is the car still operable so you can drive it to a shop? It looks like you can still shift gears. I'm not that handy. Just want to know if it happens to me will I be stranded.

----------

Just wondering if you track the car. I hear problems like bent clutch pedals, broken clutch pedal springs, and now this and wonder if it's a product of aggressive driving or just normal wear and tear. Anyhow - good luck. Hope it's a simple repair.

I can kludge it back together enough to drive cafefully. The shift lever is not straight (you can see in the 1st picutre), so if it rotates it can cause you to miss a gear.

I've tracked the car 4 times, and while I do drive aggressively, I don't shift aggressively (because doing that usually just causes the tires to spin). I did notice when taking it apart the bushing gets really warm (it is sitting right over the transmission and the exhaust pipes run down either side. So perhaps heat killed it? I feel like the shifter always had a little bit of rotational play in it from day 1. I thought the knob just had a bit of play in it, but maybe the bushing was bad from the beginning.

So I don't think it is normal wear or driving habits. I think it's just sometimes things break that aren't supposed to.

cdog533 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Time for a bad ass upgrade.

Will the TR6060 shifters for Camaro's work in our cars? http://www.jegs.com/i/Hurst/530/391-6020/10002/-1 or http://www.jegs.com/i/Hurst/530/391-6030/10002/-1

They should bolt right in?

cts-v ls6 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

I had my shifter replaced in my 2010 V2 sedan under warranty. There is a TSB out on them.

Jack

So in theory I am all set. I should be covered under the 5/100k powertrain warranty. The dealer has ordered the part which should be here next week.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by cts-v ls6 View Post
    I had my shifter replaced in my 2010 V2 sedan under warranty. There is a TSB out on them.

Jack
    Hello Jack,

Thanks for sharing your insight on the situation you had to deal with. I am glad your shifter was replaced under warranty. I hope you are enjoying your CTS-V! Don't hesitate to contact us if you ever have additional concerns or questions.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Quote Originally Posted by pmsteinm View Post
    So in theory I am all set. I should be covered under the 5/100k powertrain warranty. The dealer has ordered the part which should be here next week.
    Hello pmsteinm,

Thanks for updating the thread. I am glad you should be covered under your warranty and the dealer has ordered the part for you. Gregory and I monitor the Cadillac forums and are here to assist. If you have anything you would like to further discuss or questions, please reach out to us via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Update:

Got my car back on Friday, better than new. The shifter always felt a little loose from day 1 so it must have been a manufacturing defect that caused the failure.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by pmsteinm View Post
    Update:

Got my car back on Friday, better than new. The shifter always felt a little loose from day 1 so it must have been a manufacturing defect that caused the failure.
    Hello pmsteinm,

Thanks for updating on your situation. I am happy to hear the dealer was able to fix and resolve your vehicle concerns and your vehicle is running better than new. Continue to enjoy driving your Cadillac! You know how to get a hold of us if any additional concerns or questions arise.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.