V3 - All Wheel Drive?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, V3 - All Wheel Drive? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; As we all know - the V2 is seriously traction limited. Sure, you can make 700+ hp, but you can't ...
    edsuski is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

V3 - All Wheel Drive?

As we all know - the V2 is seriously traction limited. Sure, you can make 700+ hp, but you can't get the 556 hp, available from the stock set-up, to the ground efficiently (thus the 2nd gear start). Sport mode allows you to start in 1st gear and liquefy the tires - but does little to allow you to convert the torque into forward momentum.

The V-Sport XTS requires All Wheel Drive (the XTS is front wheel drive otherwise). This means that GM is pushing 410 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque through the XTS all wheel drive set-up. Is there any hope that they might be able to beef up the AWD to accommodate the 556 - 600 hp and 551 - 600 lb-ft of torque that the V3 is likely to develop?

Imagine an all wheel drive CTS-V with enough additional hp to compensate for the added weight of AWD..... That would really be a world class solution. What do you guys think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC

Re: V3 - All Wheel Drive?

AWD is obviously the best choice for 0-60 times (ie from a dead stop). See also: GT-R.

However, you seem to think that the V3 either needs less HP - so one won't suffer the indignity of spinning the wheels in 1st gear - or the only other option is AWD?

You forgot "throttle modulation" and "better tires," both of which are cheaper/more fuel efficient than AWD and more entertaining than less HP. Hell, I'd be okay with RWD if the V3 comes with a 10.5" diameter rear wheel and better tires from the factory.

With that said... AWD would be pretty freaking awesome! As far as high HP and AWD... well, it can be tricky (and costly) to get that kind of power to the ground with a suitable transmission, transfer case, etc without taking a huge weight penalty AND while ensuring a 100,000 mile warranty period (see also: the GT-R's price and maintenance schedule).

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    Why not launch control which would be a lot cheaper without much, if any, weight increase?

Jud
    Jud

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

I'm with Jud. I've often wondered why launch control has not been a feature in the entire six-model year run for the V2. Did they simply decide it was too difficult to manage with the current setup? Or do automotive engineers enjoy liquifying tires as much as we, the enthusiast motoring public, do?

BTW, I'm having a hard time believing it's already been a six-model year run for the V2 at the end of the 2014 MY. Wow.

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

All launch control does is cut power until your tires have traction, then gradually increase power, keeping them right on the limit of adhesion. At least in the ZR-1 it's a good system, but a better solution would be to ensure your tires always have traction, which is what AWD does. AWD isn't the only solution though, the Z06 has a really nice balance of lots of power and huge 12" wide rims with 335-width tires and that gets the job done. Somebody else mentioned a new Australian Holden with the CTS-V drivetrain, but it comes with 20" wheels. I don't know how wide they are, but hopefully wider than 9.5", and that's a step in the right direction.

If the V3 CTS-V comes with much wider, Z06-style 12" wide rims and the ability to put 335s or 345s on them, that will go a really long way towards solving traction issues. But I've owned a lot of AWD cars, and I think AWD is a good option too. Don't know if it's actually feasible, but the new E63 did it and did it right - most of the power still goes to the rear and power oversteer is not a problem. But at the same time, you can launch from a stop like an AWD car, and frankly the ability to use the car's power at speeds under 60 MPH would be nice for a change.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    Yeah, I know how launch control works; a lot like trying to feather the throttle without it, but I have nothing against AWD, and it should be an option. I would rather have some of the trick suspension/rear end things the C7 has, and save the weight. I'm more excited about the TR6070 and the refinement it offers; however, that's off subject. I don't think that the Cadillac high performance guys will disappoint us, and if they need some advice, we could all oblige. Ha haa!

Jud
    Jud

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

From a sales standpoint it would be in cadillac's best interest to offer it in awd as an option.

I can guarantee that the move Mercedes made with the awd e63 is going to result in a HUGE jump in sales for that car in the snow belt, especially in NYC. I guarantee that most people in ny who buy e550 4 matcs, and 550xi xdrive (whatever they're calling it this week) would easily have gone e63/m3 if they had awd for the winters. This may surprise people from the south but the take rate for the awd variants of these RWD luxury sedans is around half.

I say offer it as an option because who doesn't love RWD?

RGaret is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio
    From a sales standpoint it would be in cadillac's best interest to offer it in awd as an option.

I can guarantee that the move Mercedes made with the awd e63 is going to result in a HUGE jump in sales for that car in the snow belt, especially in NYC. I guarantee that most people in ny who buy e550 4 matcs, and 550xi xdrive (whatever they're calling it this week) would easily have gone e63/m3 if they had awd for the winters. This may surprise people from the south but the take rate for the awd variants of these RWD luxury sedans is around half.

I say offer it as an option because who doesn't love RWD?
    Even with AWD if the car has summer tires it still can't be driven through snow. I live in the northeast and I wouldn't drive my car in the snow under any conditions because of all the morons with SUV's that think they have some sort of super powers when it snows. I prefer to stay home until the roads are plowed.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

True didn't think about the summer tires. Swapping to all seasons will be popular on the e63 in the northeast.

RGaret is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    True didn't think about the summer tires. Swapping to all seasons will be popular on the e63 in the northeast.
    I still agree that AWD would be great from a performance and traction perspective. Audi, Lamborghini, Bentley, and Bugatti all offer AWD on their cars. Now MB is onboard too. If the V2 had AWD, we could probably get to 60 in 3.6 seconds or less. I would be willing to pay for that.
    Tedboss1 likes this.

DCV
    DCV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV bone stock

AWD adds weight and lots more drivetrain loss, plus lots more complicated systems that can need repair. If I wanted AWD I would get an Audi. I want them to stick with RWD.

Tedboss1 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    For Montreal weather I would put 4 snow tires even with all wheel drive.
    neuronbob and blksnk like this.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Considering the CTS v sport will only be rwd there is no doubt in my mind the v3 will be rwd only.

shchow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS-V; 2010 Escalade ESV
    A friend has X5 with sport package, which comes with summer performance tires.
    He was unable to drive it in the snow...

Moparman4444 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

If you live in the south then 2 wheel drive with R compound tires will work for the street but in the northern belt with 4 seasons, AWD is the only way to go bar non. I have owned several high HP cars with and w/o AWD and can tell you without hesitation that AWD is the greatest thing since sliced bread on average roads. AWD is so nice for cornering,

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.