Water under Driver door, but dry inside - 2013 V Coupe
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Water under Driver door, but dry inside - 2013 V Coupe in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Have seen this before in another thread but did not see any resolution to it. When it rains hard, as ...
    AEPZ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Coupe

Water under Driver door, but dry inside - 2013 V Coupe

Have seen this before in another thread but did not see any resolution to it.

When it rains hard, as it often does in Miami, when I open the driver side door to my 2013 V Coupe I have a pool of water splash down on my feet. This only happens on the drivers side door. My dealer says he has called GM and that what I am experiencing is normal for a Coupe?

So, a couple of questions come to mind.

a) is this really normal, and should be expected?
    b) if not what, could possibly be done to correct?

It's just a nuisance right now, but with time I'm concerned that the water, with a heavy enough storm could get inside (though so far it hasn't and we've had heavy rains). Or that with time, the chrome plate at the bottom of the door, resting on the sill, might rust/tarnish.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

vfaninva is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    I have the same problem. Bought my '13 V coupe last October and the same thing has happened 3 or 4 times. Drivers side door only and after moderate/heavy rain each time. Hasn't really been a problem but, I will ask my SA about it when I bring mine in for it's first oil change/service.

RJR88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 V Coupe

Re: Water under Driver door, but dry inside - 2013 V Coupe

My 2012 Coupe does the same. Only when it rains hard. I have had my feet get wet more than once.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

vfaninva - let us know what you hear back from your service adviser once you've taken it in for your oil change.

AEPZ and RJR88,

If there is anything you would like for us to document or look into, please contact us via private message with more details (including your name and contact information and the last 8 digits of your VIN).

Sarah (Assisting Greg)
    Cadillac Customer Care

Called into Cadillac and my dealer did call about my issue, and I am promised a follow up. I just can't believe the "this is normal" line. They did mention drainage plug, that the water should drain. But after a heavy rain the night before, I was still surprised with the large amount of water when I opened the driver side door in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    vfaninva - let us know what you hear back from your service adviser once you've taken it in for your oil change.

AEPZ and RJR88,

If there is anything you would like for us to document or look into, please contact us via private message with more details (including your name and contact information and the last 8 digits of your VIN).

Sarah (Assisting Greg)
    Cadillac Customer Care
    Thanks Sarah, I'll post it when I get an answer.

AEPZ - Good luck at your end. Let us know what your SA says.

Sarah,

Sent you everything you need to look into the issue on your end. My main concern, besides looking silly with my wet shoes and pants, is the long term impacts and potential corrosion of the badging or worse from the standing water. I've had instances where 8 hours after a heavy rain, street and drive way bone dry. When I open the door, not thinking about it because its sunny out, SPLASH! Surprise! Living in Florida, this is all too regular of an occurrence.

I post what I hear back in the next day or two

Thanks all
    Mickk56 likes this.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by vfaninva View Post
    Thanks Sarah, I'll post it when I get an answer.

AEPZ - Good luck at your end. Let us know what your SA says.
    Hello vfaninva,

My name is Laura and I help monitor the Cadillac forums with Gregory. I see Sarah, my counterpart reached out to you. I am sorry you have been experiencing this issue after heavy rain also. I see you will be bringing it up to your service adviser when you are in next. We can be reached anytime via private message to further discuss concerns or questions.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Quote Originally Posted by AEPZ View Post
    Sarah,

Sent you everything you need to look into the issue on your end. My main concern, besides looking silly with my wet shoes and pants, is the long term impacts and potential corrosion of the badging or worse from the standing water. I've had instances where 8 hours after a heavy rain, street and drive way bone dry. When I open the door, not thinking about it because its sunny out, SPLASH! Surprise! Living in Florida, this is all too regular of an occurrence.

I post what I hear back in the next day or two

Thanks all
    Hello Alex,

I am Laura and help monitor the Cadillac forums with Gregory, with assistance from our counterparts, including Sarah, who I see initially reached out to you. I wanted to let you know I received your private message and will continue to interact with you that way.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Snotty Boom Body is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 13 V Coupe Thunder Gray
    So is the water collecting inside the door from the rain and then draining out when you open the door which might unblock a drain hole at the bottom of the door (maybe the rubber weatherstripping is blocking the drain hole when the door is closed) or is the water sitting on the sill plate and when the door is opened the water just falls out ?

Any sunroofs on your cars ?

I have a coupe too but haven't had it out in a heavy rain. Maybe next time I wash it I'll pour a lot of water on the roof and see if it happens to mine too.
    SBB

The water collecting inside the drivers side door has happened to my V 3 or 4 times only out of many rain events. The water collects along the bottom of the door sill (I'm assuming the lower gasket holds the water in until the door is opened). I do have the sunroof but doubt there's any involvement. The only times it has happened was when the car is parked in my driveway which slopes slightly downward. I wonder if maybe instead of the rain running down the sides of the car and in between the door gaps to run off, it collects in a deformity of the lower gasket until the door is opened?

nynd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 13 M5. SOLD:11 BD CTS-V, 6M, Loaded - SOLD:09 CTS-V (Auto)

As you describe the issue, it seems that the drain holes are covered (or sealed) by the thick black weatherstripping. When you open the door, you break that seal allowing the drain hole to release all the water. You would think the drain hole would be further up in the corners as to not be obstructed by the weatherstrip.
    Check if this is whats actually happening!

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels

Sorry but do the Cadillac/GM people who monitor this site actually do anything other than say 'PM me'? Seems like they sign off the case as soon as someone says 'I'm going to my dealer'. I really like the idea of having GM people around to help with issues, but I'm not clear on what kind of help is provided.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by spearfish25
    Sorry but do the Cadillac/GM people who monitor this site actually do anything other than say 'PM me'? Seems like they sign off the case as soon as someone says 'I'm going to my dealer'. I really like the idea of having GM people around to help with issues, but I'm not clear on what kind of help is provided.
    I've been waiting to hear one success story for years. I even had the infamous "Katie" try something for me only to end up where I could've gone myself.

I have looked closely at both driver and passenger door/frame/seal and see no drain. Am I overlooking something?

Unhappy Re: Water under Driver door, but dry inside - 2013 V Coupe

So the official word from both Cadillac and my dealer, is that this is expected and within design specifications for the vehicle, the Cadillac CTS-V Coupe. In other words it is normal. It is absolutely to be expected that under the same conditions, for the passenger side door not to have trapped water, and the driver side door to have 4 to 6 ounces (yes, that much!) trapped between the door and the car. Such that when you open the driver door, and are not paying attention, you will get wet.

In fact my dealer experienced the feature first hand. It had rained the night before, and I was there to pick up my car at about 5PM, a good 15+ hours between rain and my arrival. We opened the passenger door first, bone dry. We opened the driver door and whoosh, dealer got his sneakers wet pretty good.

I received a call this evening from Cadillac and respectfully voiced my displeasure with this little nuisance (or feature?).

Long story short, nothing can be done, as the car was designed this way.
    If anyone else wants to voice their displeasure with this feature
    I encourage you to give Cadillac a call, I'm sure they would appreciate hearing from Coupe owners.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.