Water under Driver door, but dry inside - 2013 V Coupe - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Water under Driver door, but dry inside - 2013 V Coupe in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Not that it's apropos of anything but the sliding doors on our 08 Grand Caravan have the same "feature" but ...
    mr weather is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Sedan

Re: Water under Driver door, but dry inside - 2013 V Coupe

Not that it's apropos of anything but the sliding doors on our 08 Grand Caravan have the same "feature" but it tends to happen only after a heavy rainfall. I've never seen any water in the interior.

RobF300 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan HIS, 2012 CTS4 coupe- Her's

maybe you can make a little hole in the seal to allow it to drain?

vfaninva is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by AEPZ View Post
    So the official word from both Cadillac and my dealer, is that this is expected and within design specifications for the vehicle, the Cadillac CTS-V Coupe. In other words it is normal. It is absolutely to be expected that under the same conditions, for the passenger side door not to have trapped water, and the driver side door to have 4 to 6 ounces (yes, that much!) trapped between the door and the car. Such that when you open the driver door, and are not paying attention, you will get wet.

In fact my dealer experienced the feature first hand. It had rained the night before, and I was there to pick up my car at about 5PM, a good 15+ hours between rain and my arrival. We opened the passenger door first, bone dry. We opened the driver door and whoosh, dealer got his sneakers wet pretty good.

I received a call this evening from Cadillac and respectfully voiced my displeasure with this little nuisance (or feature?).

Long story short, nothing can be done, as the car was designed this way.
    If anyone else wants to voice their displeasure with this feature
    I encourage you to give Cadillac a call, I'm sure they would appreciate hearing from Coupe owners.
    So if this a design feature/flaw did they offer any explanation of why it is only the drivers door?

CavemanB52 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV coupe
    I don't see how it can be a design feature. I have had to leave mine out in the rain a few times. I have a coupe. And it doesn't happen to mine.

vfaninva is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe

Update. Was at the dealership for my first oil change and brought this issue to my SA's attention. He showed me the drain holes on the bottom of the door. For some reason GM put the drain holes behind/above the thick gasket along the bottom edge of the door. You have to get down on your knees and pull along the edge of the gasket to expose the drain holes. Real smart. The water drains through the holes and collects along the door sill. When I asked him why it only happens to the drivers side the SA said he believes it's because the drivers door is opened more frequently and the repeated opening/closing somehow causes the gasket to block the drain holes. He told me that he has seen this on sedans as well. If drain holes become clogged by dirt/dust/pollen, he suggested clearing by using something small like a q-tip or even using canned air w/tube like for cleaning computer keyboards. There is no fix being offered so just beware the next time you open your door

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by vfaninva View Post
    Update. Was at the dealership for my first oil change and brought this issue to my SA's attention. He showed me the drain holes on the bottom of the door. For some reason GM put the drain holes behind/above the thick gasket along the bottom edge of the door. You have to get down on your knees and pull along the edge of the gasket to expose the drain holes. Real smart. The water drains through the holes and collects along the door sill. When I asked him why it only happens to the drivers side the SA said he believes it's because the drivers door is opened more frequently and the repeated opening/closing somehow causes the gasket to block the drain holes. He told me that he has seen this on sedans as well. If drain holes become clogged by dirt/dust/pollen, he suggested clearing by using something small like a q-tip or even using canned air w/tube like for cleaning computer keyboards. There is no fix being offered so just beware the next time you open your door
    Hello vfaninva,

Thanks for keeping us updated with what your service advisor passed along to you. I am sorry that there is no fix being offered and that is how the door was designed. I will be sure to document and pass along your feedback in regards to this to the correct group within our organization. Thank you very much for your time. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to private message us or send us an email at socialmedia@gm.com. Thank you very much for taking the time to keep us updated.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.