Need help..2011 V Coupe Slipping Steering Wheel
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Need help..2011 V Coupe Slipping Steering Wheel in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I've searched all over the internet for answers to an issue I'm experiencing with my 11 V Coupe (11k miles) ...
    cyclops24 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Need help..2011 V Coupe Slipping Steering Wheel

I've searched all over the internet for answers to an issue I'm experiencing with my 11 V Coupe (11k miles) but have had no luck. My steering wheel slips intermittently. It can happen sitting in park at idle, going 25, going 75 but it can also not be present. It feels like it it skips a cog and catches the next one. It is a very small slip but noticeable. I'll be turning the car right and it will slip right then when I turn to the left it slips back to the left. The wheels do not turn and it is not bump steer as the wheel is not jerked out of my hands it is a very gentle slip. You can be experiencing while driving then stop and turn the car off and start it back up and it will be fine. I've had it to two dealers and they say there are no codes present and that the steering linkage is good to go. They also state there are no steering pump issues. The one dealer could feel what I was talking about and the latest one couldn't. It is also more pronounced in colder weather so I am planning on taking it in again when the temps drop so the latest dealer can see what I am talking about. The dealer said they would call GM engineering and see if they have heard of this before but I haven't heard anything back yet. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Sorry. Can't say this one is familiar. If one dealer could feel it why didn't they fix it?

Re: Need help..2011 V Coupe Slipping Steering Wheel

They handed me a GM tech paper that said notchy steering at idle is a normal condition and it goes away when RPM is above idle. I told them that doesn't explain why it does it on the interstate at 75mph well above idle or while accelerating. Their response was that I bought a race car and they are quirky hence me taking it to a different dealer. What I have learned from these dealers is that if there are no codes, there are no problems. I have also learned they can't do anything without GMs ok. Example, I have poor radio reception and they said most likely the back glass needs replaced but they can't replace it without GMs blessing.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops24 View Post
    I've searched all over the internet for answers to an issue I'm experiencing with my 11 V Coupe (11k miles) but have had no luck. My steering wheel slips intermittently. It can happen sitting in park at idle, going 25, going 75 but it can also not be present. It feels like it it skips a cog and catches the next one. It is a very small slip but noticeable. I'll be turning the car right and it will slip right then when I turn to the left it slips back to the left. The wheels do not turn and it is not bump steer as the wheel is not jerked out of my hands it is a very gentle slip. You can be experiencing while driving then stop and turn the car off and start it back up and it will be fine. I've had it to two dealers and they say there are no codes present and that the steering linkage is good to go. They also state there are no steering pump issues. The one dealer could feel what I was talking about and the latest one couldn't. It is also more pronounced in colder weather so I am planning on taking it in again when the temps drop so the latest dealer can see what I am talking about. The dealer said they would call GM engineering and see if they have heard of this before but I haven't heard anything back yet. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Thanks in advance.
    Hello cyclops21,

I apologize that you are experiencing a slipping in your steering wheel as well as poor radio reception. I would be more than happy to assist you in working with the first dealership that was able to experience the concern, or work with you and the second dealership when you bring the vehicle back in colder weather when the concern is more noticeable. Please private message me your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership you would like to work with if you would like my assistance. If you are not able to private message me, you can also reach me at socialmedia@gm.com. When sending an email, please include “ATTN GREG” in the subject line so it gets delivered straight to me. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

PM sent Greg.

Going on 3 weeks since being at the dealer and no communication. I've called twice and no one is returning calls and Greg states he has a call into them as well. Is this is what $72k gets you from GM I'd hate to see what buying an inexpensive car from them gets you. Might be time to contact the general manager of the dealership.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Call GM direct, and start a case. It's in the owners manual. They'll have a rep get a hold of you, and get it done ASAP.

Going on 3 weeks since being at the dealer and no communication. I've called twice and no one is returning calls and Greg states he has a call into them as well. Is this is what $72k gets you from GM I'd hate to see what buying an inexpensive car from them gets you. Might be time to contact the general manager of the dealership.
    Hello Seth,

I am sorry for the lack of communication with your dealer and your vehicle concern. I totally understand your frustration with your situation. I see my counterpart Greg has reached out to the dealer on your behalf and was going to contact them again on Thursday when he is back in office. If you would like me to also contact them, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

I called Kelly Cadillac in Butler, PA for a third time and I spoke to the service writer handling my case, Damon, today and he said they are still waiting on the GM district rep as he only comes in once a month. Apparently they can't call him because that's not the protocol. Damon said the tech (Jim) was calling GM engineering concerning the steering issue and he is on vacation. When I spoke to Jim last week, he said Damon was making all the calls and said he was out due to family emergency. When I pointed that out, Damon said that Jim is on vacation, another service writer is on vacation and one is in training so they are overworked at the moment. Damon said he never makes calls to engineering cause he is not a tech. Talk about run around. I said I'd hate to see how a customer is treated with a Cavalier vs an expensive high end car. Damon told me the treatment is the same regardless of the vehicle. This will be my last GM product. I am going to call and open a case with GM as it is clear this dealership is incompetent. Caddy customer service, anything you can do here would be helpful to get these issues resolved.

Opened a case with GM and I didn't get warm and fuzzy feeling. First person takes your information and then passes you off to someone else. Problem was that person was awkward and English was not his first language so he gets most of the information wrong. A call that should take 5 minutes takes, 15. Second person is good to go and easy to communicate with and corrects all of the information and then says a customer care rep from the dealer will contact you in 24-48hrs. I've already been waiting 3 weeks. You should call me ASAP or schedule a call with me. This is not wowing the customer GM, not at all. GM wants to make the Cadillac brand their premiere brand and present it like you get perks when buying a Caddy but really you get nothing because the dealer's are at the mercy of GM and can't represent the brand like they should. Just like Damon said, doesn't matter if you are driving a Cobalt or a CTS-V the treatment is the same. I didn't walk into the dealer and demand they replace my back window glass they said they believed that's what needed to be done but they can't do anything without the district reps authorization so they created this mess not me. My steering slips from time to time, I'm not making this up and then burning a vacation day to sit at the dealer for 2hrs. Make the call to engineering and get some help. None of these techs wants to have to think or troubleshoot rather they want to plug in a scanner and have it tell them whats wrong then look it up and fix it and be done with it. If they don't have a code or TSB they won't lift a finger unless you are paying out of pocket.

I called Kelly Cadillac in Butler, PA for a third time and I spoke to the service writer handling my case, Damon, today and he said they are still waiting on the GM district rep as he only comes in once a month. Apparently they can't call him because that's not the protocol. Damon said the tech (Jim) was calling GM engineering concerning the steering issue and he is on vacation. When I spoke to Jim last week, he said Damon was making all the calls and said he was out due to family emergency. When I pointed that out, Damon said that Jim is on vacation, another service writer is on vacation and one is in training so they are overworked at the moment. Damon said he never makes calls to engineering cause he is not a tech. Talk about run around. I said I'd hate to see how a customer is treated with a Cavalier vs an expensive high end car. Damon told me the treatment is the same regardless of the vehicle. This will be my last GM product. I am going to call and open a case with GM as it is clear this dealership is incompetent. Caddy customer service, anything you can do here would be helpful to get these issues resolved.
    Hello cyclops24,

I am sorry you are experiencing a negative situation with your vehicle issue and the dealership. I would like the opportunity to look into your situation for you. Please reach out to me via private message and include your contact information, VIN and a case number that you have opened with GM. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

I wanted to update everyone on what opening a case with GM has done for me........NOTHING! I was supposed to get a call from the customer care rep at Kelly Chevrolet-Cadillac within 24-48hrs. That didn't happen. My Cadillac customer care rep at GM, Kenyetta called me and provided me the same information I already knew after calling the dealership. I called Kenyetta back yesterday and left her a voicemail setting expectations of what I expected to be done at this point. Her voicemail message states she will get back to you in 24hrs. No call from Kenyetta today. Tomorrow marks 1 month since my car was at Kelly for service and I still don't have a resolution. This is by far the worst customer service experience I've had from any automaker, foreign or domestic. I cannot imagine what would happen if I had major issues with the car that needed repair.

Laura, Greg has all of my information and a case is open with Kenyetta so why are you asking for the information again? Greg didn't get anything done, Kenyetta has yet to get anything done so what is it that you can do that they can't? This appears to be smoke and mirrors to make it look like Cadillac cares but I have yet to see anyone call the district rep and get this expedited and resolved.

I wanted to update everyone on what opening a case with GM has done for me........NOTHING! I was supposed to get a call from the customer care rep at Kelly Chevrolet-Cadillac within 24-48hrs. That didn't happen. My Cadillac customer care rep at GM, Kenyetta called me and provided me the same information I already knew after calling the dealership. I called Kenyetta back yesterday and left her a voicemail setting expectations of what I expected to be done at this point. Her voicemail message states she will get back to you in 24hrs. No call from Kenyetta today. Tomorrow marks 1 month since my car was at Kelly for service and I still don't have a resolution. This is by far the worst customer service experience I've had from any automaker, foreign or domestic. I cannot imagine what would happen if I had major issues with the car that needed repair.

Laura, Greg has all of my information and a case is open with Kenyetta so why are you asking for the information again? Greg didn't get anything done, Kenyetta has yet to get anything done so what is it that you can do that they can't? This appears to be smoke and mirrors to make it look like Cadillac cares but I have yet to see anyone call the district rep and get this expedited and resolved.
    Hello cyclops24,

I apologize, but Laura was not informed that I had already requested your information and that you had an open case. I apologize for the delay, I have looked into your case and have notified Kenyetta that you are still awaiting a response. Thank you very much for reaching out to us in regards to this concern. Please private message me tomorrow if you have still not gotten a response from her.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

I received a call from Jason at Kelly today. They finally picked up the phone and called the GM district rep who authorized replacement of the back glass. It has been ordered and will take a few days since that is not common glass which I understand. For the steering issue, they can hook up a datalogger to take some readings then send to GM to analyze. Not sure how that will go but I have hopes we can determine what's causing the slipping and go from there. Sucks I had to go to these lengths to get results but after a month we have movement. And to be fair, I think the dealer is really at the mercy of GM on this stuff which also sucks. It puts them in a bad spot. They should empower their dealers and have a better model for obtaining authorization so they can take care of customers. The idea is to have repeat business and unit sales, referrals etc. rather than horror stories that make people want to switch brands or go elsewhere.

rayjoedef is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe...

I received a call from Jason at Kelly today. They finally picked up the phone and called the GM district rep who authorized replacement of the back glass. It has been ordered and will take a few days since that is not common glass which I understand. For the steering issue, they can hook up a datalogger to take some readings then send to GM to analyze. Not sure how that will go but I have hopes we can determine what's causing the slipping and go from there. Sucks I had to go to these lengths to get results but after a month we have movement. And to be fair, I think the dealer is really at the mercy of GM on this stuff which also sucks. It puts them in a bad spot. They should empower their dealers and have a better model for obtaining authorization so they can take care of customers. The idea is to have repeat business and unit sales, referrals etc. rather than horror stories that make people want to switch brands or go elsewhere.
    Sorry for your pain....had the same frustrations (no steering issues) but differential. It seems that GM creates bulletins for problems they won't re-engineer. If there's a bulletin, then it's commercially acceptable in their eyes. As far as escalating, forget it!! They will put you in contact with someone in another country and that's when you'll really start pulling your hair out. As far as Cadillac Customer Service on these threads - like the movie " The MATRIX" they really don't exist....lol. I love my V and have a great relationship with my dealer. My car however, is fully modified and attracts attention every time it's in for service. It wasn't always like that and unfortunately it was a combination of my threats and my car that has created a better relationship. I know your frustrations and you paid a lot for a car that should perform normal daily operations seamlessly....but remember, you bought a race-car.....give me a break.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.