Clutch fluid level
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Zhariak
  • 1 Post By Zhariak
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Clutch fluid level in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Quick question for the car guys! At the beginning of this season, my clutch fluid level was right at the ...
    Zhariak is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Escalade ESV Platinum, 2013 CTS-V Coupe 6MT

Clutch fluid level

Quick question for the car guys!

At the beginning of this season, my clutch fluid level was right at the minimum level (4 months ago).

Noticed changing gears is a bit ruff switching in to 2nd, checked the fluid today and notice it's almost 1centimeter (maybe half an inch) below the minimum level.

First question, can I top this up myself?

Second question, should I be worried about a leak somewhere? Keep in mind I do TONS of driving (I've done around 20,000km, or 12,400 miles) since I got the car brand new, which sat for months until I started driving it 4 months ago.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Snotty Boom Body is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 13 V Coupe Thunder Gray
    Yes you can and should top it off yourself unless you want to bring it to the dealer Check the owners manual on the proper fluid to add.
    You're doing good by keeping an eye on it yourself and I would say fill it to the full mark and then keep an eye on it again if it starts going down you may have a small leak and you should bring it to the dealer at that point and explain what happened.

Re: Clutch fluid level

Quote Originally Posted by Snotty Boom Body View Post
    Yes you can and should top it off yourself unless you want to bring it to the dealer Check the owners manual on the proper fluid to add.
    You're doing good by keeping an eye on it yourself and I would say fill it to the full mark and then keep an eye on it again if it starts going down you may have a small leak and you should bring it to the dealer at that point and explain what happened.
    Awesome thanks bud! Normally I would suspect a minor leak, except I drive this thing ALOT! lmao... Would it be normal after 20,000km/12,400miles that some evaporates or disappears?

The fluids pink... Can I just go to any auto store and provide the GM Part# that's in the manual for the clutch fluid?

I also noticed after, that underneath the reservoir there is the black hose. I noticed I could push it up a little bit. Wondering if the leak is happening from there.

One more question (I feel dumb for dragging this thread on)...

Is the vehicle safe to drive with the clutch fluid below minimum level? I ordered the fluid from the internet last night using the GM Part#, just don't know when it'll arrive.

DCV
    DCV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV bone stock

Just go buy some fluid at a local place, its just DOT 3 or 4 fluid.

Club Malibu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V, White, Manual, Bone stock, no sun-roof

For our cars it's DOT 4.

Someone on some Vette forum used local parts store DOT 4 in his Vette and his clutch started to immediately squeak. Then he changed it out to GM OEM clutch fluid and the squeak went away. The guy is suspecting that maybe GM OEM clutch fluid might have something extra in it. Who knows.......... GM DOT-4 is called, "Super DOT-4".

GM part number = 88958860

Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBbsy0LjUvE

And google search "ranger method clutch fluid".

Go to WALMART and find a plastic syringe for mixing 2-cycle oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Club Malibu View Post
    For our cars it's DOT 4.

Someone on some Vette forum used local parts store DOT 4 in his Vette and his clutch started to immediately squeak. Then he changed it out to GM OEM clutch fluid and the squeak went away. The guy is suspecting that maybe GM OEM clutch fluid might have something extra in it. Who knows.......... GM DOT-4 is called, "Super DOT-4".

GM part number = 88958860

Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBbsy0LjUvE

And google search "ranger method clutch fluid".

Go to WALMART and find a plastic syringe for mixing 2-cycle oil.
    Thanks bud, Ya I purchased the GM stuff (used the PART# from the manual) and placed the order online. Just waiting to receive it

----------

Watching the vid...

That's awesome...

Good news is, my clutch fluid is still flawless bright pink
    Club Malibu likes this.

Well...

Went to the local dealer to see if I could get my hands on the fluid earlier then the internet order. Gave hem the canadian Part #, and it translated in to some new AC Delco part #.

Got home, opened the reservoir, noticed a clumpy batch of clutch dust (not a lot, just a small amount)... Used something to get the clutch dust out, and topped off the reservoir to the full mark.

I don't know if it's in my head or what, but it feels like it's already shifting better from 1st to 2nd
    Club Malibu likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.