Front alignment issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Front alignment issue in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Don't know if this has been discussed here before, but i can't seem to find it.. so.. i'll ask So, ...
    genna is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS-V Sedan BDE, Manual

Front alignment issue

Don't know if this has been discussed here before, but i can't seem to find it.. so.. i'll ask

So, I have now had my 11 V sedan for about 5 months and 7K mi and it's an awesome car, but the other day I noticed that the front tires are wearing out oddly. The outside is wearing a lot faster than the inside. I'm not tracking the car, but i do have fun with it on occasions in twisties. It almost seems to me that the front has a positive camber. Both tires are wearing evenly. Car is stock, not lowered. Car tracks straight and there seem to be no other indications that there is an alignment issue.

So, before i go and spend $$ on alignment, the questions are: what is correct front camber on this car and is it adjustable? and if it is adjustable, what should i ask them to adjust it to if stock setting is doing this uneven wear?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Xaqtly is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

Re: Front alignment issue

IIRC, there is supposed to be 1.5º negative camber on the fronts in factory stock spec.

Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

Hello,

A little known issue that we have seen with these cars is that the front lower control arms will move under load. Even with proper torque specs, the design still allows it to move. We have developed new "lock outs" that will keep the lower control arms locked in place at the desired alignment spec. We have been track testing these on some of our track cars for over a year without any issue and perfect tire wear.

Have your alignment guy lock the car back in and mark the bolt relative to the subframe. Then take car back out on your favorite road and bring it back to him. If you have pushed it hard enough you will see the bolt/control arm has moved.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by genna View Post
    Don't know if this has been discussed here before, but i can't seem to find it.. so.. i'll ask

So, I have now had my 11 V sedan for about 5 months and 7K mi and it's an awesome car, but the other day I noticed that the front tires are wearing out oddly. The outside is wearing a lot faster than the inside. I'm not tracking the car, but i do have fun with it on occasions in twisties. It almost seems to me that the front has a positive camber. Both tires are wearing evenly. Car is stock, not lowered. Car tracks straight and there seem to be no other indications that there is an alignment issue.

So, before i go and spend $$ on alignment, the questions are: what is correct front camber on this car and is it adjustable? and if it is adjustable, what should i ask them to adjust it to if stock setting is doing this uneven wear?

Thanks

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    So what is a recommended setting to keep from shredding the fronts prematurely? Stock? I don't track and don't beat it up.

The factory specs are fine. Its the fact that they don't stay in the position in which you set them....

Quote Originally Posted by Trapspeed View Post
    So what is a recommended setting to keep from shredding the fronts prematurely? Stock? I don't track and don't beat it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Design
    The factory specs are fine. Its the fact that they don't stay in the position in which you set them....
    And the only way to ensure they do is: 1) frequent checks to verify or, 2) your locking mechanism?

Yes you can check it frequently. We have tried a couple different designs. The smooth machined finish lends itself to allowing the bolt to move around. Some race friendly might have a solution as well. We just created a solution for the track cars we were prepping. Certainly not suggesting we have the only solution for this, we just happen to have A solution for it. We don't want it to come across that we are the only solution for this problem.

Thanks,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Trapspeed View Post
    And the only way to ensure they do is: 1) frequent checks to verify or, 2) your locking mechanism?

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels

Where would one find a link to purchase said 'lock outs'?

Quote Originally Posted by spearfish25
    Where would one find a link to purchase said 'lock outs'?
    +1. Anyone at all?

setherman5000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 2011
    Check the D3 web site. If not, give the guys there a call and they will help you out.

Sorry guys. This items not even on the site yet and we have only been installing them in house. Let me see if we can get some images. I know this part is in the process of going into our price & app guide, which means it will be hitting the website shortly.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.