Difference between 13 vs 14 - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Difference between 13 vs 14 in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by Snotty Boom Body Well that was a very nice commercial for the app and OnStar but didn't ...
    87GN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V sedan A6, 2004 E55 AMG

Re: Difference between 13 vs 14

Quote Originally Posted by Snotty Boom Body View Post
    Well that was a very nice commercial for the app and OnStar but didn't answer my original question.

But I guess bbradyc5 told it like it is so I'll go with that answer.

SBB
    I couldn't have said it better myself! WOW!
    brian-nicola likes this.

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

Either GM is held hostage by the cell carriers, i.e. they can't negotiate a cumulative data rate and have to pay a recurring per-car fee to maintain connectivity...

...or GM is obsessed with generating recurring OnStar revenue from car buyers, sometimes at the expense of the car's market competitiveness without OnStar...

...or maybe both. Whatever the reason, the endless pimping of OnStar and enticements to get in the van for bits of smartphone candy is a huge turn-off for me. I'm never going to pay $19 a month for stuff that should be free (vehicle diagnostics, turn by turn navigation), stuff I already get through a a smartphone (hands-free calling), or in-case-of-disaster insurance (stolen/crashed), so good luck making the other candy worth that much.
    lilred, brian-nicola and RaVeNous like this.

RGaret is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    Quote Originally Posted by 87GN View Post

I couldn't have said it better myself! WOW!
    $360 a year for this service is a joke. I will never pay for OnStar. And if I am not close to my car to remote start it with the key fob, I shouldn't be doing it. I had a BMW and they had a similar service that was free for 4 years. Much better deal.
    lilred and brian-nicola like this.

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Either GM is held hostage by the cell carriers, i.e. they can't negotiate a cumulative data rate and have to pay a recurring per-car fee to maintain connectivity...

...or GM is obsessed with generating recurring OnStar revenue from car buyers, sometimes at the expense of the car's market competitiveness without OnStar...

...or maybe both. Whatever the reason, the endless pimping of OnStar and enticements to get in the van for bits of smartphone candy is a huge turn-off for me. I'm never going to pay $19 a month for stuff that should be free (vehicle diagnostics, turn by turn navigation), stuff I already get through a a smartphone (hands-free calling), or in-case-of-disaster insurance (stolen/crashed), so good luck making the other candy worth that much.

A freakn men.

The cost is a joke. Updates for the NAV at a cost is a joke.
    My 2 year old iPhone has better NAV tech.
    brian-nicola likes this.

I wouldn't mind paying $30 for annual nav data updates. But that's all it should cost -- Microsoft Streets and Trips is $20.

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    I wouldn't mind paying $30 for annual nav data updates. But that's all it should cost -- Microsoft Streets and Trips is $20.
    perhaps....but when you pay $1000 or more for the NAV option....

It pissed me off more that you don't get free onstar iPhone diagnostics and service reminders. Or make onstar more reasonable.
    brian-nicola likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RaVeNous View Post
    perhaps....but when you pay $1000 or more for the NAV option....
    Was NAV ever optional on the V2?

It pissed me off more that you don't get free onstar iPhone diagnostics and service reminders. Or make onstar more reasonable.
    Car companies are not going to eat recurring cellular data connection costs in perpetuity. And I abhor the idea of them selling data about me to pay for it.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Nav was an option in '09...
    Nutz likes this.

Dogbreath is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

I'm pretty certain that On-Star is a satellite based service, not cellular based. Same as Benz. In fact I'm pretty sure that they both were developed by Hughes Network Systems. But the Benz service is "only" $280/yr. Still not worth it.

RGaret is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbreath View Post
    I'm pretty certain that On-Star is a satellite based service, not cellular based. Same as Benz. In fact I'm pretty sure that they both were developed by Hughes Network Systems. But the Benz service is "only" $280/yr. Still not worth it.
    I think it is cellular. That would explain why OnStar in older GM cars stopped working when the Verizon cell network went all digital a couple of years ago.

mr weather is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Sedan

I think it's a combination of both. Cell for voice/telemetry and satellite for GPS/location.
    thebigjimsho likes this.

Kerr is offline Cadillac Owners Member

off topic sorta, but you mentoned Gm used and warranty could be a issue. Last summer i was on the road, looked over and there set a 2011 V sedan, it had 9K miles on windshild, and $ 34 or $44 as a price. To be honest i cant remember now but it was very cheap like salvage title money.. So i called the dealer and ask about the car. The woman said it has ever option, Recaro's etc. But its a Auto, I ask about what was up with the price and she said well its a catch 22, GM used this car in power train testing, so they say, so there is no warranty. Then she said but that doesnt mean that is what it was used for, It could have been a test car from GM, or a supplied car for editors of tv or magizeens. She was pretty nice and seemed to be honest, She faxed all the papaer work and the car was still titled to GM, Its been a while but i want to say the title read something like GM MFR CTS-2 or something for owner. Address was Detroit M, Anyway the lady said they also had a ZR-1 that GM had used as well for high speed testing. it had 3K miles on it..

I would love to have had unlimited funds. Just to buy that ZR-1 then go to the dealer and watch there face when they plug it up the computer and it say 200+ mph like 500 times lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbreath View Post
    I'm pretty certain that On-Star is a satellite based service, not cellular based. Same as Benz. In fact I'm pretty sure that they both were developed by Hughes Network Systems. But the Benz service is "only"
    $280/yr. Still not worth it.
    These do not use two-way satellite communication; they're just cell phones with GPS receivers.

From mbusa.com's mbrace site:
    *All Mercedes-Benz mbraceŽ services operate only where cellular and Global Positioning Satellite signals are available, which are provided by third parties and not within the control of
    Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels
    OnStar at $30/month is a joke. Who needs to honk their horn or check their mileage for $360/year? And sending directions? My iphone has three nav programs that are more convenient and do a far better job. I told my wife that I'd keep OnStar if it was $10/month. Then I saw it was $20-30/month depending on the plan and just started laughing. Also hilarious how the operator tries to sell you cell minutes to call people through Onstar when you sign up for the trial. 'What if you lose your phone and you're stranded in the middle of no where?' I told her the phone probably wouldn't have had service anyway.
    brian-nicola likes this.

brian-nicola is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Coupe Blk Diamond Edition

OnStar is a joke, as is the way out dated-non upgradeable software in the car which I think goes back to 2007? Fortunately for me, I never use it anyway, if mine hadn' t come dealer ordered with the NAV option, I wouldn't have bothered. I bought the car for
    the looks and the performance. I will say however that my 2013RAM truck has a better system and I can upgrade the software at no charge by checking the U-Connect website.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.